Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

lt1 swap into fox body (worth it?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008 | 11:12 AM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Well...DEATH TO THE OPTI!!!

I think the SBC swap has some aftermarket parts to aid in the job getting doe easier. I believe you can use the stock K member too.
Old 10-15-2008 | 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

as already said, LT1 injected, Carbed SBC, or LSX of any variety.

or the ford motor. But since theres nothing in the car, get a carbed 6.0L and a TH350 and let 'er eat!!!
Old 10-15-2008 | 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

im about to attempt the same thing. i have a roller lackin an engine and tranny. i think im gonna do a low compression 408 and spray the crap out of it!!!!!!! anyway good luck with the build
Old 10-19-2008 | 08:43 AM
On The Tree

I found a complete 454 big block for $300 I guess I'm going to use it
Old 10-19-2008 | 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

thats just dumb there....a big block is a waste in a Mustang. You're mixing light weight with heavy weight to create an average built, average weight car. Sounds like a big waste. keep it light and keep it strong.
If ur gonna do that then you oughta buy some AFR 325's and build a 496ci.
Old 10-19-2008 | 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Well...DEATH TO THE OPTI!!!

I think the SBC swap has some aftermarket parts to aid in the job getting doe easier. I believe you can use the stock K member too.
Also note this is coming from a guy who according to his Fquick has a LT1 that has more power stock than his other two modded third gens. If you have a fresh opti it will last a long time. Most peoples optis go for over 100,000 miles without an issue. If your afraid of that still you can go with a delteq system. All three are good choices but don't take the advice of one person telling you the LT1 sucks and go by it. There are thousands of people out there running fast times with all three motors. Find the setup that interests you the most and do it. If you won't an old school carbed motor go sbc. If you want a Fuel injected motor with great low end torque, a great mid-range and a flat power curve go LT1. If you want a higher revving, high horsepower motor with a very supportive aftermarket, I would go with a larger cubed LS1. I personally wouldn't go BBC because i couldn't handle 8 mpg and you could be just as fast with the three choices above but it's your car man just keep us updated with pics and results
Old 10-19-2008 | 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

i agree with guys about not going big block. your car car will be very nose heavy and will wag the rear like a fish at higher speeds without a lot of work to the suspension and frame. but a 454 for $300 bucks is a steal and i would very much recommend buying it and save it for another project.
Old 10-19-2008 | 01:25 PM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by meanredZ
Also note this is coming from a guy who according to his Fquick has a LT1 that has more power stock than his other two modded third gens. If you have a fresh opti it will last a long time. Most peoples optis go for over 100,000 miles without an issue. If your afraid of that still you can go with a delteq system. All three are good choices but don't take the advice of one person telling you the LT1 sucks and go by it. There are thousands of people out there running fast times with all three motors. Find the setup that interests you the most and do it. If you won't an old school carbed motor go sbc. If you want a Fuel injected motor with great low end torque, a great mid-range and a flat power curve go LT1. If you want a higher revving, high horsepower motor with a very supportive aftermarket, I would go with a larger cubed LS1. I personally wouldn't go BBC because i couldn't handle 8 mpg and you could be just as fast with the three choices above but it's your car man just keep us updated with pics and results

The LT1 car i have is undergoing a SBC transplant to ditch the LT1. The LT1 does not have a flat power curve ither, i have seen hundreds of dyno graphs and they are nothing like that. I have worked on LT1s and you do not get rewarded as much for all the work as a SBC or LSx. It is a middle child and that is why they were only around for 6 small years....FAIL.

As for my Fquick, the 350 HP estimate was with ported heads, headers, ported intake and other bolt ons. So it was not exactly stock, that POS locked up a long time ago, ill go fix it for you
Old 10-19-2008 | 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

The LT1 car i have is undergoing a SBC transplant to ditch the LT1. The LT1 does not have a flat power curve ither, i have seen hundreds of dyno graphs and they are nothing like that. I have worked on LT1s and you do not get rewarded as much for all the work as a SBC or LSx. It is a middle child and that is why they were only around for 6 small years....FAIL.

As for my Fquick, the 350 HP estimate was with ported heads, headers, ported intake and other bolt ons. So it was not exactly stock, that POS locked up a long time ago, ill go fix it for you
The power curve depends alot on the mods done to the vehicle but from what i have seen LT1's have flatter torque and power curves in comparison to alot of engines. I don't really see how you can say the LT1 failed because it was only out for 7 years. The 03 cobra motor was only out for 2 does that make it a failure? What about the lt5? LS2? Hell the LS1 was only out for 5 before they started improving that! You can't judge an engine by that. Also, there are thousands of LT1's running fast as hell and strong as ever. The SBC has been around for decades proving it as a very strong motor. But the LT1 in comparison is newer technology with fuel injection and a better intake design. I wasn't trying to turn this into a **** flinging match about which engine is better. Just saying that just because you had a bad experience with one doesn't mean the LT1 is a bad motor. The LT1 is just an UPGRADED SBC in a lot of ways. GM made a few changes and made a better motor. The sbc has been around forever and mods have been proven time and time again making it easy to know what to do to make power. That doesn't make it better. I have nothing against any of the choices just saying there are lots of LT1's making big power and it is a good choice as well.
Old 10-19-2008 | 04:43 PM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Are you serious? You are going to compare it to a cobra motor? A LS1? **** man, we are talking about the generation, not the small parts of it. The LTx did not last long, the LSx and the ford modular motors have lasted WAY LONGER. The 03/04 cobra motor is a upgraded engine but still the same design in itself, just as the LSx, if the LTx was really that great they would still be using it in mass production, but it is not good enough.

As for "Also, there are thousands of LT1's running fast as hell and strong as ever."

So, there are hoe *** Hondas running fast as hell too, but they are POS in my opinion.

I am just saying, if it did not come factory in your car, the LT1 is not worth swapping into anything. After 97 the LSx came out, if you want to do a swap with anything new, that is the best option.

Like i said, it is a middle child, if you wanna use it, that is find, but $ to HP ratio, it is better to do a SBC and save, or a LSx and accept all the benefits of newest technology.

As you said, this is one mans opinion, there are many that agree with me though, i just dont see swapping a LTx into anything making since. Sorry if i came on like an *******, i kind of took it as **** talking involving my F quick page.

Z
Old 10-20-2008 | 03:56 PM
On The Tree

I'll let you know how things goes

BBC + fox body = Uncontrollable torque monster <<<< I like the idea
Old 10-20-2008 | 04:19 PM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Sounds good to me
Old 10-20-2008 | 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Are you serious? You are going to compare it to a cobra motor? A LS1? **** man, we are talking about the generation, not the small parts of it. The LTx did not last long, the LSx and the ford modular motors have lasted WAY LONGER. The 03/04 cobra motor is a upgraded engine but still the same design in itself, just as the LSx, if the LTx was really that great they would still be using it in mass production, but it is not good enough.

As for "Also, there are thousands of LT1's running fast as hell and strong as ever."

So, there are hoe *** Hondas running fast as hell too, but they are POS in my opinion.

I am just saying, if it did not come factory in your car, the LT1 is not worth swapping into anything. After 97 the LSx came out, if you want to do a swap with anything new, that is the best option.

Like i said, it is a middle child, if you wanna use it, that is find, but $ to HP ratio, it is better to do a SBC and save, or a LSx and accept all the benefits of newest technology.

As you said, this is one mans opinion, there are many that agree with me though, i just dont see swapping a LTx into anything making since. Sorry if i came on like an *******, i kind of took it as **** talking involving my F quick page.

Z
Nah man I wasn't trying to talk **** i just get annoyed when GM guys argue with GM guys and guys talk down against an engine because something newer comes out. I think we should be talking about how much better our stuff is vs. ford or dodge etc. I personally think all three engines are badass motors. I have driven vehicles of all three drivetrains and when it came time for me to buy another car I decided i wanted to build a fast and mean LT1. I've always liked them and i'm the the type of guy that likes underdogs even though i don't really think of LT1's as underdogs, but alot of people do. I'm doing a 355 ci, H/C/I setup (mabey some boost or spray along with it) and a built trans. with a 3600 stall next month and I'm really anxious to get going on that and go beat up on some fords and dodges. I didn't mean to argue over a stupid topic. To the OP good luck and keep us all updated. Take Care.
Old 10-21-2008 | 03:55 AM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

I understand, i have worked on so many LT1s and modded them with my friends and my own, i really did not feel the bennefit out weighed the work compared to the LSx cars since it is such a pain in the *** to work on compared to my third gens. They are a PITA to work on being 6'3. I hate the fact a OPTI cost so much more than a regulear SBC/BBC distributor.
Old 10-21-2008 | 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

I understand, i have worked on so many LT1s and modded them with my friends and my own, i really did not feel the bennefit out weighed the work compared to the LSx cars since it is such a pain in the *** to work on compared to my third gens. They are a PITA to work on being 6'3. I hate the fact a OPTI cost so much more than a regulear SBC/BBC distributor.

I agree with everything you just said. They suck to work on and there is no room under the hood. If I was working on several of them all of the time I would hate them too. The optis can be very expensive if you keep having problems or buy the MSD optis. But most of the time if you replace it right and your coil and water pump are good too, you won't have any problems. When it came to me buying a car I wanted a nice car in great shape that wouldn't cost a bunch and mods were cheap for. The LS1 is really the best choice but I could find a really nice LT1 vs. an ok LS1 for the same price. And modding the LS1 would cost alot more. So i found a very nice LT1 for a good price and made a goal to spend 13K- 14K on the car and mods to make a car that could be daily driven and run 11's to possibly a high ten on a good day. I'm still debating if i want to use spray or buy a used supercharger so it's still somewhat in the air, because I know it would be much more compicated. I thought about a 3rd gen but i've always liked the LT1 body style and it's harder to find nice third gens in my area. Since LT1's suck to work on i'm going to do it right the first time so I don't have to do it much in the future
Old 10-21-2008 | 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by proxemics
I'll let you know how things goes

BBC + fox body = Uncontrollable torque monster <<<< I like the idea
Everyone can keep going back and forth on whats the better half a ls1 or lt1, or whatever.. But if you have picked up a bigblock (for basically nothing), and like you have stated.. (BUDGET BUILD) then i would stick with your game plan on using a bigblock.. Look at what guys are using at the dragstrip- best bang for the money, parts available, and very (in some cases) reasonable prices on performance parts.. Bigblock! im not just saying that cause of my forum name.. thats just because i love bigblock camaros.. not mustangs- but looks like you have started out on a good note- and will have a cool budget build! Goodluck to ya!
Old 10-21-2008 | 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

build what you have especially if $ is a concern.... later on down the road you can always upgrade! opti or not you CANNOT rule out the power potential and durability of the LT1. look at the long list of FAST LT1s!
Old 10-21-2008 | 04:28 PM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

As he said, the LT1 is basically a SBC with a few modifications. The internals are identical.
Old 10-24-2008 | 05:43 AM
On The Tree

I got the big block for $240
Can't really complain about that
I'll start working on it this week
Old 10-26-2008 | 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

i agree with everyone.... all of the ideas were good... but i dont think some of them were the answer to his problem (money) he is wanting a cheap street car.... to me the bbc was off the mark... ive seen bbf (460) in a fox... but he is wanting a chevy motor... in my opinion the sbc with vortec heads as said before is the best bang for the buck.... dont get me wrong the lt1 has its good and bad points.... death the the opti but praise the intake, heads flow well, and i dont know how many ive seen with over 250,000 miles on them... the lsx and t56 in a fox is a good combination but a very expensive one at that.... so in conclusion i would, if it was mine, pickup a (l31) vortec 350 out of a truck... it has 280 hp and 300 torque if im correct and you can put any sbc intake you want on it (if you drill out the holes a little) i know this is a rig but he is on a budget.... this motor already has good flowing heads and hei distributor.... and it will bolt to your 350th... down the road you can do any mods you want (forced air, nitrous, stroker) sbc can make power over 800hp with the right parts....

this is just opinion from one budget builder to the next

Quick Reply: lt1 swap into fox body (worth it?)