Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Members in Charlotte, N.C. area, need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Move, you will love living here. Take it from a NY native. Suggest you rent for a while and learn the areas before you buy.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gojo
Move, you will love living here. Take it from a NY native. Suggest you rent for a while and learn the areas before you buy.
Yeah, I figured we would rent for a while until we figure out where to live. We also have to get jobs and get settled before buying a house.
Are building lots inexpensive? Might just look into building what I want (esp. a nice big garage!)
See you guys in april.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get in touch with guys at Nick Williams Performance in Mooresville. They know the area and it will give you a starting contact.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

You may want to consider living just south of Charlotte instead of to the north. Lower taxes in South Carolina, more conservative, and no inspections either. Not sure if they have inspections or not in North Carolina, but I believe they do. It's nice not to have to worry about my off-road pipes.

Fort Mill and Rock Hill are just a couple minutes down the freeway. Really nice and lots of newer development because of Charlotte - people realizing that they can keep more of their $$$ by living across the border.

North Carolina Income tax:

If your income range is between $0 and $12,750, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 6%.

If your income range is between $12,751 and $60,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 7%.

If your income range is between $60,001 and $120,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 7.75%.

If your income range is $120,001 and over, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 8.25%.

South Carolina Income Tax:

If your income range is between $0 and $2,460, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 2.5%.

If your income range is between $2,461 and $4,920, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 3%.

If your income range is between $4,921 and $7,380, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 4%.

If your income range is between $7,381 and $9,840, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 5%.

If your income range is between $9,841 and $12,300, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 6%.

If your income range is $12,301 and over, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 7%.

So basically, if you make between 12,000 and $60,000 a year either way is fine, but if you're poor you get screwed in North Carolina and if you make more than $60,000 you'll pay .75% to 1.25% higher income tax.

Gas tax: the total combined state and federal tax is 13.4 cents per gallon lower in South Carolina.

Property taxes on a $200,000 home:

Charlotte, NC - $2595

Rock Hill, SC - $1288

Fort Mill, SC - $1176

All these little differences can add up to thousands of dollars a year, depending upon your income level and home value.

I'm originally from North Carolina and love it, but unfortunately it is trending left, although not as bad as Virginia. Lots of people move there from states up North with terrible government, and for some reason many feel they need to vote for the same types of people that have destroyed states like Michigan and turn their new home into a dump politically and fiscally like the one they left.

It's even one of the states now considering this ridiculous idea of dumping gas taxes and putting GPS on your car to track your mileage and tax you that way.

Since South Carolina lacks a major population center/market center like Charlotte or the Research Triangle, it has not been effected like North Carolina and Virginia have.

At any rate, in comparison to most of the 50 states, North Carolina still rocks. It's just that if you want to live in the general Charlotte area, you can have the best of both worlds by living across the border and saving some $$$. Either way, you'll love the Carolinas.

I'm living out of the country for a little bit right now, but will be back soon and probably try to get a house in Fort Mill. My father lives in Rock Hill, SC and it takes him 20 minutes to get to work at a plant in Charlotte. Fort Mill is between Rock Hill and Charlotte along I-85. About the same for us to get to the airport when we come back to the U.S. to visit. We are a family of 80+mph on the highway drivers though.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the tax numbers, that really made it easy for my lazy ***! It looks like I will be in the 7% income bracket either way. However, the property tax in SC is a lot lower. Well I am all for checking it out while I am down there. I need to see as much as possible in order to make a smart decision.
Does anyone know a few good builders I can talk to about building a house on a building lot? I dont think a HOA is for me. Thanks again for all your help guys.
Dave
Old 01-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by will82
You may want to consider living just south of Charlotte instead of to the north. Lower taxes in South Carolina, more conservative, and no inspections either. Not sure if they have inspections or not in North Carolina, but I believe they do. It's nice not to have to worry about my off-road pipes.
NC inspection is by county. Some counties are emissions/safety and others safety only. In my opinion you'll be happy in either NC or SC. They're both better places to live then in the frozen tundra of the north.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm originally from Buffalo, NY and have lived in NC since '02 now. I originally lived in Charlotte, but moved up to Mooresville. Renting first is an excellent idea because if you are heading for Charlotte, you can be in a seemingly nice area one minute and then 5 miles later it is completely ghetto. I'm trying to get my folks to leave Charlotte as well (they live in the same neighborhood I used to). I think they are more inspired to move now that someone stole a wheel off my mom's Cadillac

Also mooresville > charlotte as far as taxes go also. Charlotte is in Mecklenburg, Mooresville is in Iredell/Rowan. It costs half as much in house/vehicle taxes here as it did in Charlotte. I like Mooresville as the 1/8th mile strip is just a few miles from my house. Highway 150, which has just about any store you need, is close also.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Roughly, what does a 1/2-3/4 acre lot cost in the Mooresville area? How far away is Lowes speedway? I heard they have a great 1/4 mile track there.
I'm getting anxious now, I'm freezing my ***** off up here!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZMonte85
NC inspection is by county. Some counties are emissions/safety and others safety only. In my opinion you'll be happy in either NC or SC. They're both better places to live then in the frozen tundra of the north.
So how many counties are there in Mooresville/Statesville/Huntersville. The IROC aint passing an emissions test, thats for sure (especially because it doesnt run yet) How do you guys get around this stuff. I have to wait until the car is 25 years old to be exempt from emissions testing.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dave88z
So how many counties are there in Mooresville/Statesville/Huntersville. The IROC aint passing an emissions test, thats for sure (especially because it doesnt run yet) How do you guys get around this stuff. I have to wait until the car is 25 years old to be exempt from emissions testing.
Don't worry about the emissions/inspection. Once you get down here I can hook you up.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sunset01SS
Don't worry about the emissions/inspection. Once you get down here I can hook you up.
Haha, me too.

I think it's about a 50/50 split on counties in the state. You won't find many surrounding counties of Charlotte that are safety only. Gotta head out into the country for that. Mooresville and Statesville are part of Irdell county which is emissions, but only OBDII emissions. Anything 95 and older is safety only and a visual check. So I'm not saying, but I'm saying.

Couldn't answer ya on how much land costs since I built my house on a preselected lot in a subdivision which I kind of regret, but need to wait for the economy to turn around before I can really do much about it.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i actually just went threw this myself, im from ansonia/stratford CT. im RI atm for college but last august my mother sold her house in ansonia and we went down to NC to go house shopping. she moved to mint hill in NC(southern charlotte). i will be heading down there in the next 2 months, i really like NC. the blizzard we are getting hit with here in RI atm sucks, im tired of seeing my ws6 covered in snow i cant wait to get down there. but mint hill, mathews, macklenberg(not sure of spelling) county, were all very nice areas. my mom picked up a 1800 sqft house for 117k, mortgage is 891 a month, and taxes are squat compared to CT. and concord isnt far and they are building a race track there by the nascar place
Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

sry i lagged and posted twice =X
Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Roughly, what does a 1/2-3/4 acre lot cost in the Mooresville area? How far away is Lowes speedway? I heard they have a great 1/4 mile track there.
I'm getting anxious now, I'm freezing my ***** off up here!
Couldn't tell you. I would guess it would vary greatly depending on where you were (close to downtown, in a subdivision, in the country). I would search on -

www.remax.com
www.realtor.com
www.fsbo.com
www.allentate.com

Here are some builders in this area. Not sure if a subdivision is what you are aiming for or not, but it will give you a general idea.

www.truehomesusa.com
www.niblockhomes.com
www.scenichomes.com

It takes me about 25 minutes to get to Lowe's. The dragstrip is very new and fancy, but as far as test and tune is concerned, they are still working on it. I have visited on a couple nights, the track wasn't that well prepped and it was not smoothly run. However I'm sure they will improve this in coming years.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the southern hospitality guys. You guys are really hooking me up big time. I have been thinking about my situation for a while and I think I have a good plan (If you think my plan sucks feel free to tell me, I dont get offended!)
1. After my trip down in april I hope to figure out what town I like.
2. Find a building lot that is NOT in a home owners association.
3. Let the lot sit while I save my ***** off up here. When I can sell my place and gain a little equity-see ya!
4. Rent an apt, get jobs, and when things feel stable, begin construction.
5. Repeatedly bang wife/drink beers/go racing
Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL! Good plan - I would watch number 3 though. This market will not turnaround quickly so there will be many bargan basement prices for lots here in NC. I would focus on selling your house first, as this will be the most challenging part of your plan, then look for a lot here in NC.

You will like it here: I relo'ed from south FL 3 years ago. It was tough as I was born and raised in south FL and left friends and family behind, but I like it here much better.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the southern hospitality guys. You guys are really hooking me up big time. I have been thinking about my situation for a while and I think I have a good plan (If you think my plan sucks feel free to tell me, I dont get offended!)
1. After my trip down in april I hope to figure out what town I like.
2. Find a building lot that is NOT in a home owners association.
3. Let the lot sit while I save my ***** off up here. When I can sell my place and gain a little equity-see ya!
4. Rent an apt, get jobs, and when things feel stable, begin construction.
5. Repeatedly bang wife/drink beers/go racing
Sounds like an excellent plan. My next house will definitely not be in a HOA. Bunch of busy-bodies that do absolutely nothing for the community but take your money for shitty decorations once a year.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

I'm lucky, I'm in a subdivision but no HOA. There can never legally be one here because I built before the formation of one and I can never be forced to join one. Love those legal loop holes.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you don't mind folks saying "Boy yo sur gotta purdy mouth" and rooting for a crappy football team....then Charlotte is great!

J/K It is a great area to live!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm bored of Charlotte/LKN I'll sell you my casa I want to go north.
ha

Quick Reply: Members in Charlotte, N.C. area, need your help!