Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

HELP! I Got Hit and Run!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! I Got Hit and Run!

I got hit and run sometime in April, and my rear bumper has a huge crack in it, and it created a hole. To fix it, I have to replace the whole bumper!

Anyways, I was wondering if I could do anything. A witness reported the license plate number and filed a police report. I got the police report, and the only information I have is the person's car make and model, name, license plate, and address.

I only have liability on the car as well. What should I do?

If it helps, I'm in the state of Louisiana, and I have Liberty Mutual as my insurance company.

Last edited by OldSocks; 05-14-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

YOu need to turn it into your insurance company and they will file suit on the person who hit you. 1st off its illegal to do a hit and run. The police should be taking care of that. If they are not helping you then your insurance company has underwriters who will find out what is going on. GL....
Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nitrobusa
YOu need to turn it into your insurance company and they will file suit on the person who hit you. 1st off its illegal to do a hit and run. The police should be taking care of that. If they are not helping you then your insurance company has underwriters who will find out what is going on. GL....
Alright cool thanks. Do you know if my premium will go up if I contact my insurance company, because I only have liability, or you think it should be good because it wasn't my fault.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSocks
Alright cool thanks. Do you know if my premium will go up if I contact my insurance company, because I only have liability, or you think it should be good because it wasn't my fault.
Your premium shouldn't go up, because you aren't making a claim on your policy.

It's the other guy's insurance (or him) who has to pay.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Your premium shouldn't go up, because you aren't making a claim on your policy.

It's the other guy's insurance (or him) who has to pay.
+1^^^

That really sucks dude, i know exactly what kind of situation you're in.
Your insurance will definitely stay the same, and I hope the guy who did it gets whatever awful justice is comin' their way.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Send me a pm with the license plate number, when u get a chance
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trnsfmr99
Send me a pm with the license plate number, when u get a chance
UH-OH!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Teching In

To update you guys on this, I called my insurance company, and didn't give them my policy number, but asked if my premium will go up, since I only have liability, and the rep said possibly.
She also told me that she couldn't do anything to help me, because I only have liability.

So for the past week I was debating if I should go to the person's house or not, but it being in New Orleans, I'd rather not. Even if I go with another person, I don't want to risk anyone getting hurt.
Are police reports supposed to include a phone number or the person's insurance information?

Guess I'm stuck now. And if there is anything else I can do, I hope I didn't wait to long. Because the person DID commit a crime by leaving the scene without a note, and SOMEONE is going to have to pay for the damages made on my car.

And I want to thank everyone so far for any ideas or information given.

And for anyone in the area wondering, it happened at the Target parking garage in Clearview Mall. 2nd story.. so careful when parking there. I guess it pays to park a bit further and walk a bit longer.

Last edited by OldSocks; 05-25-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Launching!

This is the reason I've have full coverage on all my cars and trucks, no matter how old they were. When this happens (i hope this doesn't happen to any of us, but) if someone hits your car and runs, your car's totalled, you only have liability, you're assed out. But for a few dollars more, with full coverage, same thing, but at least you will get at least the value of your vehicle back in your pocket. Just food for thought.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trnsfmr99
This is the reason I've have full coverage on all my cars and trucks, no matter how old they were. When this happens (i hope this doesn't happen to any of us, but) if someone hits your car and runs, your car's totalled, you only have liability, you're assed out. But for a few dollars more, with full coverage, same thing, but at least you will get at least the value of your vehicle back in your pocket. Just food for thought.
I wouldnt say that. I have been hit and the person ran. I had the lowest coverage i could get on a 87 ford ranger and they tried to tell me they couldnt help me. I had a report and video of the wreck. I took my insurance company to court and settled on $2,800 for a truck that kbb at the time was only like $580. It dont always happen that way and most dont want to get on bad terms with there insurance company but when fair is better than fair how could i go wrong. Now im with progressive and paying $91 a month for full coverage on my 98 T/A.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive always had liabilty only but with uninsured motors which willfix my damages here if it is a hit an run or a driver with no insurance hits me. look into that man.

Quick Reply: HELP! I Got Hit and Run!