Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Registering a car in NC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering a car in NC?

I've read some stuff online, and the general consensus among a lot of the people posting is that its kind of confusing. HUT tax? Emissions/sniffer testing?

I've got a car with no cats on it, but its tuned so their isn't an SES light. Will that prove to be a problem, or do they just scan OBDII cars? I've heard of places that will waive you if you just do a nice burnout before you leave ect.

Anybody wanna break it down for me? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Double Post

Last edited by SteelCityYaga; 10-27-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Double Post
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ECU_Pirate
I've read some stuff online, and the general consensus among a lot of the people posting is that its kind of confusing. HUT tax? Emissions/sniffer testing?

I've got a car with no cats on it, but its tuned so their isn't an SES light. Will that prove to be a problem, or do they just scan OBDII cars? I've heard of places that will waive you if you just do a nice burnout before you leave ect.

Anybody wanna break it down for me? Thanks!
I don't know about the HUT Tax - to register my car in NC it did cost a lot of money.

I had my car inspected last February and I don't remember the inspection guy scanning the OBD2, but they do the Emissions/Sniffer testing. They did it for my 02 TA, my Wife's 02 Suzuki Gran Vitara but not my 1995 GMC Sonoma Beater(OBD1).

Good luck and I hope you have a lot of money in your checking account when it comes to registering.

Let me know if you get flagged for the cats.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well heres the lowdown for out of state people, you get charged a Highway use tax (im assuming thats what u meant by HUT) which is 119$, then they charge you all these hiddens fees and what not, to get my car fully regi'd in NC it cost me $238.73. on a 01 WS6, if you have your NC license less than 30 days, they waive the 15$ fee, otherwise it costs you an additional 15$, BUT the good news you have 1 year to do Inspection/emissions. Yes some places will just pass ya if ya do a nice burn out and give them a nice little show, but other places nit pick and go through your stuff like they are the popo. best bet is to find a place close to you that someone else has used and you know they will be str8, other wise you are in for a headache. but you have 1 yr after you regi so in that time you can always slap on a cat and call it a day then take it back off for 2 years.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
Well heres the lowdown for out of state people, you get charged a Highway use tax (im assuming thats what u meant by HUT) which is 119$, then they charge you all these hiddens fees and what not, to get my car fully regi'd in NC it cost me $238.73. on a 01 WS6, if you have your NC license less than 30 days, they waive the 15$ fee, otherwise it costs you an additional 15$, BUT the good news you have 1 year to do Inspection/emissions. Yes some places will just pass ya if ya do a nice burn out and give them a nice little show, but other places nit pick and go through your stuff like they are the popo. best bet is to find a place close to you that someone else has used and you know they will be str8, other wise you are in for a headache. but you have 1 yr after you regi so in that time you can always slap on a cat and call it a day then take it back off for 2 years.
Fantastic write up! Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

glad i could help, i had to go there 2x, cause i called and they told me 65$ then i went there and they only take cash and expected me to fork out 238$ and i almost had a heart attack LOL, was a pain but has to be done GL
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Can anyone PM with some recomendations on places to go in Charlotte? I am running !Cats !AIR and !EGR through true duals. The computer is tunes and it is not throwing any codes.

Just wondering if I am going to need to budget for CattedY and Catback or if I can weld in some cats on the duals (assuming I cannot pass as-is)

To verify:

1. I can go ahead and get my license and register my vehicle.
2. After registration I have one year to complete the emissions test?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

having a catted y-pipe is a good idea. 95% of shops are going to do atleast a basic visual inspection. the other option is to make friends with someone who does inspections.

Go Pirates!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ClemsonT/A
Can anyone PM with some recomendations on places to go in Charlotte? I am running !Cats !AIR and !EGR through true duals. The computer is tunes and it is not throwing any codes.
PM sent.

Quick Reply: Registering a car in NC?