Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Yank Install Help In South GA/North FL

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yank Install Help In South GA/North FL

I have a Yank converter that has been sitting in my garage for over a year waiting for the day when I got ready to install it. As much as I would like to tackle the installation myself, I can see it turning into a huge nightmare for me. I don't relish the thought of crawling under a car on jack stands and trying to wrestle the tranny out to install this thing and hope I don't screw it up. There are a couple of local tranny shops here, and one claims to be performance transmissions, and I plan to talk to them. But most garages in small rural towns approach everything like it's a pickup truck. I would feel more comfortable having this done by someone who has done this type of thing on fbody's before.

So my question is, does anyone know of someone around the Thomasville/Valdosta/Tallahassee area that they trust to do this type of work? Or if someone has access to decent equipment and has done this before and would like to make some money doing this job with me as a helper, let me know.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you said you didn't want to crawl under the car and do it yourself, but it's really not bad at all.

I did it by myself with jackstands and a cheapo Harbor Freight transmission jack.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just make sure whoever does it knows WTF their doing when measuring bellhousing depth and converter/flexplate distance. I fix quite a few broken trans pumps every year because converters weren't shimmed probably and they were pulled too far forward while being bolted up.

Good luck. LT1 cars are super easy to install converters in thanks to the removable inspection panel.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Damian
Just make sure whoever does it knows WTF their doing when measuring bellhousing depth and converter/flexplate distance. I fix quite a few broken trans pumps every year because converters weren't shimmed probably and they were pulled too far forward while being bolted up.

Good luck. LT1 cars are super easy to install converters in thanks to the removable inspection panel.
Yeah, that's exactly the reason I'm looking for recommendations instead of just going to Bubba and Cooter's Performance Transmissions down the road.

Do you work in a transmission shop or garage? Maybe it would be worth my while to make a trip up to the ATL and get you to do it. I'm sure you would cut a deal for a ls1tech brother, since LT1's are "super easy".
Old 01-21-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jetlag
I know you said you didn't want to crawl under the car and do it yourself, but it's really not bad at all.

I did it by myself with jackstands and a cheapo Harbor Freight transmission jack.
I am tempted, but the how-to's I've seen say that you need to get your car 3 feet off the floor. My jack only goes up 24", nor do I have jack stands that big. Plus all the horror stories of people trying to get to the tranny bolts, and a few admitting that they did not put some bolts back in because they couldn't reach them. I just don't know if I want to put myself through that.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With enough extensions and swivels you can get all the bolts out and back in just takes alittle bit of time. As far as the jack stands some 2x4's under the jackstands will give you the clearence you need. It might seem like a big task the first time you do it but it is really not that hard to do. If you got a buddy that dont mind getting dirty you could have it do in a few hours. I have gotten to where I can have it out and back bolted up in under 4 hours as long as I stay after it
Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live here in Tally, there are places that I'd recommend if there were no other good options, but i have had the experience of dealing with the guys over there at EFI Alchemy, and they would be my first option if i were you. I had my car trailer'd my car from here over there to Jax to have my t56 rebuilt, rather than let a well known ManTrans here in town do it.

Quick Reply: Yank Install Help In South GA/North FL