Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Looking for a shop with a smoke machine in louisiana

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a shop with a smoke machine in louisiana

Need one close to lake Charles or Lafayette. I could have a possible vacuum leak, so I need to get it check. Thanks
Old 07-24-2011, 12:28 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's more of an engine diagnostic tool, and hardly any of your performance shops will have one. Most smoker machines are expensive, typically used for EVAP diagnosis, and aren't purchased by performance shops.

Find a reputable repair center with a good reputation, that would be a good start. Any good seasoned mechanic can find a vacuum leak fairly easy. A simple diagnosis you can do yourself is take some carb cleaner, and start spraying around certain spots in the engine bay. If you find a spot where the idle has a quick and significant change, chances are you've located your vacuum leak. Spraying around the base of the manifold is a good start.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Damian
That's more of an engine diagnostic tool, and hardly any of your performance shops will have one. Most smoker machines are expensive, typically used for EVAP diagnosis, and aren't purchased by performance shops.

Find a reputable repair center with a good reputation, that would be a good start. Any good seasoned mechanic can find a vacuum leak fairly easy. A simple diagnosis you can do yourself is take some carb cleaner, and start spraying around certain spots in the engine bay. If you find a spot where the idle has a quick and significant change, chances are you've located your vacuum leak. Spraying around the base of the manifold is a good start.
I've tried everything starter fliud, carb cleaner & pressurized the system with air. The problem doesn't have to be a intake leak. Could be a crack header or leaking exhaust gasket. So I want to settle the score by getting it smoked. I did find out I could build one out of a fog machine so I might do that.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

I have one.

Quick Reply: Looking for a shop with a smoke machine in louisiana