Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Received ticket in the mail should I pay for it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Received ticket in the mail should I pay for it?

Received ticket in the mail should I pay for it? or throw it in the trash they didn't see my face.

I was cruiseing though Alabama in my Astro Van a couple months ago I did’nt beat this yellow light ( I would have if I was driving the TA) anyway I got a ticket in the mail for running a red light.

Then another which increased to the fine from $60. to $85.

The letter had images of the back of Van just over the white line then another w/ Van in middle of intersection. There are no images of my face.

So should I be paying this fine? Will this ticket have a effect me renewing my License in Georgia this June?
Thanks
Old 02-13-2016, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they sent the ticket to your address, they got your plate, and they know who you are and where you live. Just pay it and be done with it, or I imagine someone will come and find you.

I guess you could take it to court if they didn't see your face, since there's not really any proof of who was driving.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get pulled over later and didn't pay it, they can (and usually do) haul you in for outstanding warrants. It will cost you at least as much to get your impounded vehicle out then as the ticket costs now, and you will still have to pay the ticket...
Old 02-15-2016, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not worth the chance of harsher fines or punishment. If you did it, just pay and be done with it. Take it to court if you didn't.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

You legally do not have to pay those. From a legal standpoint

They don't have your face

They can not prove who was driving the van that day. Who gets the ticket when driving someone else's car the owner or the driver? See my point?

Also the ticket has to be written by a officer that sees you break the law. You can go to court and request the officer that wrote the ticket to appear and say what he saw... They don't have one so they have to drop it. Legally no one can give you a ticket but a officer not a machine. Etc.

I went to law school for alittle while �� Criminal justice was my major lol
Old 02-17-2016, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who ever owns that van gets the ticket. Doesn't matter who was driving. If you don't go back to Alabama even if they put a warrant out on you. It doesn't matter. But I would just pay the fine. Better than not being able to go back there

85$ for ticket.

400-1500$ for lawyer to get out of ticket
Old 12-16-2017, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

well I did pay for the ticket and it's associated late fee.

update

my sister cruised up from Florida for a visit she never hardly ever speeds and drives an Honda Acord. she received a ticket from Brantly, AL in the mail for speeding 5 mph over speed limit going 50 in a 45. I've known about these small town speed traps but dam enough is enough

we can't get away w/ anything anymore! except when I'm towing my rather large boat
see the boat is actualley registered in AL. AL boat trailers don't get registered only the vessel/engine are registered.

I have run a few reds (not intentionally) in GA,FL and AL see when towing approaching a light there is a point of no return on braking so the safest thing is to speedup and run the light.

luckily my big trailer blocks my Vans tag.

I predict when the state of AL figures out how much revenue they could be making rather IMO extorted just on red light tickect's alone in mail trick, they will force us to register the trailer. or force us to relocate the Vans tag to be viewable.
I like this no tag on the trailer.

motto is don't speed though any small towns any where exspecially Brantly,AL there speed limit sign has a sign that reads strictly enforced.

Last edited by badmfkr; 12-16-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

When we go to the Outer Banks in NC there is a road that we are on for hours. Constantly goes up to 55 and then back down to 35 when you go through towns. Gotta be smart enough to know you cant F around with that stuff, there WILL be a local cop waiting on the other side for people who dont slow down immediately. My friend got popped for a 65 in a 45 last time we went. It's a 10 hour drive, his wife had to be back at a certain time, he was in a hurry and chanced it, stupid and he knows it.

These traffic cameras suck. 7 or 8 years ago my job was in NYC. I would drive there on Saturday mornings because I would be at the office by 4am and it was a ghost town, though a mess by the time I left. Got popped on the west side highway at a red light cam. SERIOULSY?!?!? It was either slam on my brakes with someone right on my *** or hustle through the yellow. Slammed on my brakes every time after that. F red light and speed cams.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

what do you do at great banks?

I never knew they even had speed cameras,never sean a published speed camera sign.

or are the speed camera builtinto the redlight cameras? dam FUC ****

Last edited by badmfkr; 12-18-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

I am pretty sure that remote camera ticketing varies from state to state.

In one state (can't remember which) some retired lawyer lady is taking remote automated tickets all the way to the state Supreme Court and she has several valid arguments.
One has to do with some statistics that point to automated camera tickets not improving the intersection safety. Another has something to do with the person driving being responsible for the vehicle rather than the registered owner. The third that I remember has something to do with the camera's being owned and maintained by a third party rather than by state law enforcement and ONLY law enforcement can legally write tickets per that state's constitution. An odd thing that was discussed is that the automatic remote tickets are a form of punishment where the person getting the ticket cannot directly cross examine the accuser. The thing mentioned several times in the articles I scanned had to do with money. The company doing the camera stuff and collecting the fines simply gives a percentage to the appropriate jurisdiction so local and state government entities can pad their budget without lifting a finger.
The summary of the article indicated that if the State Supreme court came down with a decision against the camera tickets it would set a precedent for other states to be forced into tightening up their standards or risk class action lawsuits.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would expect the results of this ladies case will be well published whens the verdict?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
what do you do at great banks?

I never knew they even had speed cameras,never sean a published speed camera sign.

or are the speed camera builtinto the redlight cameras? dam FUC ****
Basically just hang out and beech fishing. We go in October so it's the "off" season. House rentals are cheaper so we get a big *** house and a few couples go down. And once the off season hits you are allowed to drive on the beach.....OMG.....I love driving on the beach with my beast.

They don't have cameras there, they just have a lot of local cops hiding waiting for people to cross the 55-35mph threshold. This is on the road we take in, not on the banks themselves.

Quick Reply: Received ticket in the mail should I pay for it?