Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

What's Birmingham AL like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset01SS
I work for Quebecor World. I guess they are expanding a production department down there. So is the city clean/dirty? Lots of stuff to do?
my dads a bindery manager out here in augusta Ga for them.....we transferred here through quebecor, from cali and have been here some 12 years...awesome paying company but they work your *** off.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, they have plants all over so I figured what the heck, may as well see if they'll pay to move me someplace warmer We got some snow here again this morning
Old 02-21-2005, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So how was B'ham?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Agreed, what'd you think? My girlfriend is from Chicago, and she doesn't want to leave Birmingham at all. I've traveled a lot and I compare Chicago to Birmingham a lot. People down here try to say "it's so boring here" but they are just caught up in the urban fad and want to live in Atlanta. I particularly hate Atlanta... it grew too fast. I like Chicago... there's plenty to do, and you can drive (minues traffic) for 30 minutes or so and be in the suburbs. To me, there's plenty to do in Birmingham, and you can drive mearly 15-20 minutes and be in the suburbs. Everywhere in Birmingham is usually no more than 30 minutes away without traffic. As said above, Birmingham has a nice location with weather, and you can travel fairly short distances for a range of things. Atlanta is 2.5hrs away, the beach is 5hrs away, the Smokey Mountains...skiing..etc is 5-6hrs away, etc.

As far as business wise, Birmingham is great. It is one of the top 10 Medical Field cities in the US and one of the top 5 Banking cities in the US. I work for the local government (Jefferson County) and I see a lot of potential here.

I would have to say the greatest thing about Birmingham, is the people. Southern Hospitality goes a long way... everyone's offering a casserole dish. You also can't beat the ladies (my girlfriend hates when I say that)...

Booya, Miss America 2005
Old 02-22-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Me Likey My g/f really liked it too. People are much more polite and that is very nice. Especially driving. Seriously here (in Chi. suburbs) if you don't mash the gas a millisecond after the light turns green people are honking and it's even worse downtown Chicago. Seems more laid back in Birmingham. I'll definitely have to get used to how hilly everything is there & how steep a lot of streets & driveways are there. I'm just afraid I'll rip my front air dam off pulling into places.
So.....we like it and it looks like we're moving there!!! Just have to work out some details & timeframe w/my company.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

u would like it,racetracks every where,i live bout an hour from bham so welcome man
Old 02-25-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll definitely have to get used to how hilly everything is there & how steep a lot of streets & driveways are there. I'm just afraid I'll rip my front air dam off pulling into places.
It'll take awhile getting use to angling your car into every entrance. Alabama has great football. If you don't want to get caught up in the whole roll-tide thing Check out Auburn University, about 2 hours from b'ham. Best football around. WAR EAGLE!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe if you get homesick, you can come see how badly people drive here in Montgomery, the crappy driver capitol of the world.

Oh, and people are definitely nicer and more polite in the South. I thought that was a given. Hope you enjoy your stay in Alabama!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

ROLL TIDE!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jet_black
Oh yeah, almost forgot...

ROLL TIDE!!!
THATS RIGHT!!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Well, now my company is jerking me around After flying me down there to see how I like it there, they tell me they are still looking at a few other people They really made it feel like it was basically a done deal once I went there & made sure I wanted to do it. My ability to do the work there was never a question, even when meeting w/the manager down there! They had already said my same pay would be no problem too blah blah blah.
Now they say they'll let me know in a week or 2
Feels like my whole life is in limbo right now. I had already called the realtor to meet w/them on monday to put my house up for sale.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, now my company is jerking me around After flying me down there to see how I like it there, they tell me they are still looking at a few other people They really made it feel like it was basically a done deal once I went there & made sure I wanted to do it. My ability to do the work there was never a question, even when meeting w/the manager down there! They had already said my same pay would be no problem too blah blah blah.
Now they say they'll let me know in a week or 2
Feels like my whole life is in limbo right now. I had already called the realtor to meet w/them on monday to put my house up for sale.

I hate to hear that. I hope everything works out well for you!
Old 02-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Launching!

I just read this and I wanted to say I think you will like it here and I hope everything works out for you. If you need any help once your heading this way, let me know. I would be glad to help you settle in. If you have any questions, myself or anyone that posted on here would be able to answer them or get an answer.

Quick Reply: What's Birmingham AL like?