Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Alabama State Troopers are sneaky

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Coach Purse Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trunk up method of running radar has been used in VA & MD now for quite a while. They don't always use marked cars either, which makes you wonder if it's a cop or just a disabled vehicle. Putting the trunk up, its hard to see the lights on the top of the car that way, and they stand on the opposite side of the road at the front door, prop the gun on the roof and pick you off. MD was the first to start doing this, and now virginia is following suit. However they do the same thing, but shoot off overpasses that have 4-leaf clovers so they can spin right down the ramp and get you. There's lots of construction in VA now too, so there are unfinished bridges or onramps that they are also using. Speeders are getting more cautious, so the police kinda have to follow suit.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Launching!

i remember seeing something like this on the news, it was used in school zones i think. the cops were getting tricky. they were sitting up in "cherry pickers" (i think that's what they're called, the truckes with the buckets to work on power lines) radaring people and had cars pick you up down the road. they also dressed up as homeless people on the side of the road and picked people off. very sneaky. i'm glad i live in sc, where, i think, entrapment is illegal (correct me if i'm wrong).
Old 09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Judd
\

So, in Alabama cops can run RADAR while hiding behind signs or otherwise not visible {speed trap}? In Alabama, cops do not need to be trained and certified in RADAR or Laser use? Alabama roads do not need to be certified for use with radar? So in other words, they just give you a RADAR or Laser gun and say "Have at"? Somehow, I don't think so. There are a bunch of laws governing how LE can use RADAR or Laser in traffic enforcement {alot more than I can remember}, at least in Georgia.

BTW, not sparring. Just trying to glean some info.

Im by no means an expert, and can be wrong, but LEO's around here have to be certified every year with the RADAR. We do not have restrictions on where or how we use it. So pretty much, you get your certification, you get your radar, and you go use the radar in however manner you see fit. Like I said, I'm no expert, but this is how it was explained to me by my instructors/superior officers.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arrowsflight
The trunk up method of running radar has been used in VA & MD now for quite a while. They don't always use marked cars either, which makes you wonder if it's a cop or just a disabled vehicle. Putting the trunk up, its hard to see the lights on the top of the car that way, and they stand on the opposite side of the road at the front door, prop the gun on the roof and pick you off. MD was the first to start doing this, and now virginia is following suit. However they do the same thing, but shoot off overpasses that have 4-leaf clovers so they can spin right down the ramp and get you. There's lots of construction in VA now too, so there are unfinished bridges or onramps that they are also using. Speeders are getting more cautious, so the police kinda have to follow suit.

How about this, Route 58 going through Suffolk, Virginia the cops dressed up as construction workers. So people flying by were guned and the marked cops were waiting for the go a few miles down the road. Tell me that isn't sneaky.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Mud
Staging Lane

As a former LEO in Alabama I have my own opinions which like ******** everybody has one. Not directing anything at anybody but still have a great deal of respect for law enforcement. I don't know any job where everyone is perfect, there is always a Ahole in every bunch. But as the point was made it is very difficult at times working traffic accidents I will never forget the times I saw children killed in a car accident and only wished I had seen the intoxicated or speeding driver before the accident happened. As far as school zones!! In my opinion NO ONE should speed in a school zone these are children that are not always careful or look both ways before crossing a street and should not be deprived of a future because someone wanted to spin tires or make a lot of noise. Speeders in school zones deserve anything they get and more. Yes I have issued tickets and also received a few but most times I was guilty whether I liked it or not. It has been a few years but I have never heard of the hat thing and unmarked cars were used anytime a need was identified. If you aren't breaking the law it is not often you are penalized. The cops now have to put up with much more than we did, civil disturbances or a 280lb guy spaced out on drugs can lead to an early grave. We could just shoot-em. And most cops are seriously under paid. As I said not directed at anyone just my opinion.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jassick
i remember seeing something like this on the news, it was used in school zones i think. the cops were getting tricky. they were sitting up in "cherry pickers" (i think that's what they're called, the truckes with the buckets to work on power lines) radaring people and had cars pick you up down the road. they also dressed up as homeless people on the side of the road and picked people off. very sneaky. i'm glad i live in sc, where, i think, entrapment is illegal (correct me if i'm wrong).

man thats pretty crazy i would never think of anything like that but i will now haha but the hat issue was just something that i had heard not sayin i would try to use that to get out of a ticket i just thought it was strange which from this discussion isn't apparently true, but still utility workers and homeless people? that is a pretty far stretch to pick off speeders which i could understand in a school zone but speeding in those aren't really an issue where i live but i guess they do what they have to..
Old 09-07-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found this in Chapter 16 of Purpose & Rules and Regulation for the State of Georgia.

"Traffic enforcement techniques:

Visible traffic patrol;

Stationary observation;
The tendency of motorists to knowingly violate traffic laws is deterred by open and visible patrol. However, when there is an unusual or continuing enforcement problem at a particular location, officers may park in a conspicuous location and observe traffic; and

Unmarked vehicles;
These vehicles will not normally be utilized for traffic enforcement activity. Sworn personnel operating unmarked vehicles are to use discretion when stopping traffic violators and are discouraged from enforcing minor violations. Unmarked vehicles must be equipped with an emergency light and siren when stopping any traffic violator. Private vehicles will not be used for traffic enforcement.

Speed Measuring Devises - Use, Calibration and Maintenance
Only officers that have been specially trained and certified by GPOSTC are allowed to use the Agency's speed detection equipment. The equipment will be calibrated and maintained as specified by the manufacturer and applicable state requirements."

Now this is a small part of the rules for the Ga. State Patrol and they basically a free hand when it comes to running Radar or Laser as compared to County deputies but even the GSP has some rules. There was a site that listed all the rules governing the proper use of RADAR and Laser for traffic enforcement in the state of Georgia, both the state patrol and the county LE. My computer crapped on me and I lost it. Believe me, there was a plethora of rules that county cops had to abide by, break one of the rules and the evidence is tainted. Tainted does not mean "Automatically thrown out" but it goes a long way to getting out of a 76 in a 45 lets say. If Alabama does not have some of the same type rules,,,,, well lets just say that I feel for ya'll.

BTW, I'm not a whiner. Nine times out of ten, if I just plain get busted,,,, I own up and pay. Like they say "If your gonna play, you gota pay. BUT, if there is a cop hiding and running radar {in Ga. they have to be visible for something like 200 feet} or running RADAR at night while parked in the gore, yea,,,, I will do my best to get out of it. I've actually have gotten out of one ticket in just such a manner. Cops have rules also, if they break them,,, I will use that the best I can.

I've had both good and bad encounters with cops. I also tend to like and respect the state patrol much more than county LE because I give what I receive. If I receive a good attitude, I reciprocate and for some reason {traing?}, GSP officers are generally very good folks with very little attitude. Same way for shitty attitudes, I've been to the sheriff’s office demanding formal complaints on more than one occasion. On the other hand, I've had officers that could have nailed me but for some reason decided to let me off.

I do respect them for what they do but please do not pull the whoa is me stuff out. It's a job, you choose to do it for your own reasons. No one is making you stay. I also sincerely wish cops could make more money, allot more,, like double what they get now. I would gladly pay a 1% sales tax to accomplish it too. That way, we could get and keep better officers that have better training. Then there might not be quite so much animosity between LE and the public.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Judd. You do choose that career path, and since the general attitude of the public towards LE is usually not a good one, LE officers tend to naturally be edgy and defensive, regardless of the situation. It seems like some are just out to give others a hard time and not necessarily "make the streets a safer place". Which is why its difficult to be more fond of cops.

I was once wrongly issued a ticket for speeding 79 in a 55. I was clocked by a radar which was NOT visible within the required distance and it was not only up hill, but while i was entering a turn. Thus, my oldsmobile would have clearly wiped out into the adjacent intersection if i entered a turning lane that fast. unfortunately i didnt have the money to pay for a lawyer. they told me my license would be suspended due to it "conveniently" being 24 over the limit. I paid $75 for a defensive driving course and $350 for the ticket and i was "clear". In the end, i learned the driving course did nothing to help my case. Doing the math and physics of the car i would have been in an accident at 79mph. Not only that, the car had died due to overheating on that Exact same stretch of road the a couple days before, obviously i had no intention of speeding in a car which had JUST been fixed, and not to mention the karma associated with that road.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but as you can see, its frustrating to see officers that can and will take advantage of people. Stealthy manipulation of speed traps just lends the public an oppertunity to up the ante with new radar scanners and anti Laser devices. What many dont realize is you dont need to police people more, you need to make them better drivers. The first step includes putting drivers ed back in schools. Then, make driving a privelage and not a right, thus enforcing stricter tests for aquiring a license.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Mud
Staging Lane

OK given the cop chose to be a cop. Traffic laws are passed by your state legislature which is elected by the voting public. The cop is sworn to uphold the law as written by the legislature but if he does he is the bad guy. I will readily agree some cops are ******** and some are stuck on this macho image. I'm just glad we have something out there on the street, and there are still a few good ones.

Quick Reply: Alabama State Troopers are sneaky