Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

central and north alabama

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
No problem. Sounds like fun!

It's the North AL meet thread.

buncha arab guys and HSVRacing guys gonna show.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well guys i got the motor pulled out of the trans am sat. She didn't break a piston or rod. Wel didnt pull the oil pan but we did notice that #1 and #6 both had eyebrows on the top of the pistons s:.. Which i believe finally caused the spun bearing. I think ill give TSP a call bc the MS4 is supposed to work on stock heads but it doesn't seem that way!! All the other pistons were fine but it was the intake valve only that hit. So it must be CLOOOOOOSE on the other ones. All i ca say is if you do get the MS4 its prob best just to flycut.. Took me 3 1/2 hours to get the motor out and it was my first time .
Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamick
but we did notice that #1 and #6 both had eyebrows on the top of the pistons s:.. Which i believe finally caused the spun bearing. I think ill give TSP a call bc the MS4 is supposed to work on stock heads but it doesn't seem that way!! All the other pistons were fine but it was the intake valve only that hit. So it must be CLOOOOOOSE on the other ones. All i ca say is if you do get the MS4 its prob best just to flycut.. Took me 3 1/2 hours to get the motor out and it was my first time .
I dont think the valves smacking the pistions caused a spun bearing. Its the other way around, you spin a bearing giving the rod more play/travel resulting with the rod moving up a few .000's than normal causing PtoV contact.

Its not going to be TSP's fault. The cam did and does work with stock heads. You spun a couple bearings. Just cause the others were fine or werent making conact means nothing. You spun rod bearings on #1 and #6, the rest seem to still be in decent shape. 9 times out 10 the intake will be the one hitting due to it be the larger valve. Ive only seen exhaust valves hitting when the car is way out of timing.

Thats who I knew I spun a bearing. I swapped heads and the larger valves starting hitting the pistons. Put the stock heads back on and it quit. It wasnt clearence issues because it was an F13 cam so It had to be a bad bearing. Sure enough it was.

Last edited by Z'mnypit; 12-03-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I dont think the valves smacking the pistions caused a spun bearing. Its the other way around, you spin a bearing giving the rod more play/travel resulting with the rod moving up a few .000's than normal causing PtoV contact.

Its not going to be TSP's fault. The cam did and does work with stock heads. You spun a couple bearings. Just cause the others were fine or werent making conact means nothing. You spun rod bearings on #1 and #6, the rest seem to still be in decent shape. 9 times out 10 the intake will be the one hitting due to it be the larger valve. Ive only seen exhaust valves hitting when the car is way out of timing.

Thats who I knew I spun a bearing. I swapped heads and the larger valves starting hitting the pistons. Put the stock heads back on and it quit. It wasnt clearence issues because it was an F13 cam so It had to be a bad bearing. Sure enough it was.
Whether timing is off or not it still doesn't change the lift of the cam .. If you have a bad bearing then the car will not even want to run and seem like its in a bind.

I called TSP and they said that they were going to find a place nearby that will check my cam and make sure that its not the problem. They are supposed to be calling me back sometime today. He said it was weird that only #1 and #6 had eyebrows on them.. I guess if the cam is off somehow on those particular lobes then it would in fact be their fault but i wont know anything until the cam goes to the cam doctor.

ALso how in the world can i spin a rod bearing at only 3500 rpm and the car also never saw above 6200 ... On the morning it started knocking, i never once got above 3500rpm so i dunno.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Whether timing is off or not it still doesn't change the lift of the cam .. If you have a bad bearing then the car will not even want to run and seem like its in a bind.

I called TSP and they said that they were going to find a place nearby that will check my cam and make sure that its not the problem. They are supposed to be calling me back sometime today. He said it was weird that only #1 and #6 had eyebrows on them.. I guess if the cam is off somehow on those particular lobes then it would in fact be their fault but i wont know anything until the cam goes to the cam doctor.

ALso how in the world can i spin a rod bearing at only 3500 rpm and the car also never saw above 6200 ... On the morning it started knocking, i never once got above 3500rpm so i dunno.
No it doesnt change the lift of the cam, but theres a reason its called "timing" everything is suppose happen at a certain time. When you have valves open when they arent suppose to be then yeah your going to have problems. Not sure who told you that if you have a bad bearing the car want run but thats false. Ive done two rebuilds with bad rod bearings, one being mine and Other then the tapping and somewhat low oil pressure both ran/idled fine.

Why dont you pull the oil pan and pull the caps off # 1 and #6 and check the bearings before you start sending the cam off and etc. Save your self a little headache. If they are fine then you will know thats not the issue.

Is there some kind of rule stating the car has to be over 6200 rpm to spin a bearing? Nope! Look around on here, its doenst have to be a ceratin RPM. Ive read on here guys that just did rebuilds and spun bearings after the initial start up. You never know when its going to happen. Like I mentioned above, just pull the caps and see.

BTW- on my stock short block I had one bearing that was paper thin and melted together with the top half and I had another that was completely over lapped with the top half. This one being the cause of my piston fightning with my valve.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone got an LS6 intake laying around?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Well lets bring this one back TTT. Not much going on W/ me bc christmas has made the building the motor fund come to a screeching hault.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just trying to get my car to running like stock. =(
Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Well lets bring this one back TTT. Not much going on W/ me bc christmas has made the building the motor fund come to a screeching hault.
Was it rod bearings?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Christmas list encludes a Built Tranny and either a 12 bolt or 9" rear. 108k miles and fixin to have either heads or spray I just know one or the other is gonna go out soon ...anyone wanna make my Christmas dream come true? lol
Old 12-13-2007, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we're making a Christmas wish list, sign me up for a TNT F1 kit
Old 12-14-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sign me up for knock sensors and an Intake manifold.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Was it rod bearings?
Haven't even tore it completely down yet. I mean what else could it be? SO im just gunna go ahead and get all the parts i need then ill just take the block up to the machine shop have them bore and hone it and put my rotating assembly in it and make sure its all right and balanced and then start putting her back together. After i paint the car and engine bay ofcourse
Old 12-14-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh if were starting a wish list heres mine:

Scat H beams
Diamond 347 pistons with arps
Main and rod bearings clevite
gallon and a quart of PPG kandy hellfire red paint .

That will about do it for me .
Old 12-14-2007, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Oh if were starting a wish list heres mine:

Scat H beams
Diamond 347 pistons with arps
Main and rod bearings clevite
gallon and a quart of PPG kandy hellfire red paint .

That will about do it for me .
I remember seeing a trans-am built from the ground up and painted that candy hellfire color somewhere in the paint and body work section.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2k1bird
I remember seeing a trans-am built from the ground up and painted that candy hellfire color somewhere in the paint and body work section.
Yep thats what turned me on to that color.

Well new update guys. Got me a T56 with 2 flywheels and a pretty new LS6 clutch with pressure plate for the TA. Getting the pedal assembly, slave cylinder, and another flywheel this sunday . Shes on her way, just going to take that trans up to a guy to have him put new syncros in it just bc i dont want any problems out of it .
Old 12-25-2007, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firefightergib
Merry Christmas!
bishes
Old 12-26-2007, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-26-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is anybody around the area good at fabricating? I just got new racing seats but I cant get the brackets to work...can anybody help?

Quick Reply: central and north alabama