Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

rod run, gatlinburg TN.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there, hopefully in the Hugger Orange V6 with Black Stripes. Squall01 is gonna be there too, but the White and Blue checkered WS6 prolly wont be makin it. We're gonna head out to the Tail of the Dragon that Saturday too. Anybody interested in goin along, it's a blast?

Edited: updated car details, 1 down.

Last edited by silvachris1; 04-17-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh yes, i will be there. with or without a working transmission. lol.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: I will be there as stated before except now with the twin's installed,So if you here somebody doing a burnout and it sound's like a jet taking off it will be me!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

ill be there i go every year ill be in a black w/ orange stripes 2005 silverado and maybe the z who knows?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Pewter T/A. Can't wait
Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

How is the traffice and anybody cops bother people on exahust etc?

Looks cool I could get some nice pictures.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by coolformula
How is the traffice and anybody cops bother people on exahust etc?

Looks cool I could get some nice pictures.
Not really that I have seen unless you are just really in it. Brake torque so you can keep it slow.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok i'll just drive around in first gear the whole time lol.

So is there any more info on this? Like a website?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Honestly, at times traffic is bad enough that you will be driving in first anyway. Look up Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Should be a link on their attractions page.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

yup,traffic was so bad last year when I went it 3hours to go from gatlinburg to over the mountain into pigeon forge.But it was a blast!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LALT1

See everyone who will be there. Will be about 15 of us poarked together, pretty easy to spot a bunch of 4th gens.
anyroom for another 4th gen?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 PM
9 Second Club

YUP,The more the better.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as for burnouts and ****, if your lucky you will get away with it. if not soak up the applause and cheers and eat a ticket. but as for exhaust you wont get bothered for that. all in all its the ****!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Here's all the information I've got. I've posted this on another site tryin to get some other F-Bodys to come along to the Dragon.

April 19-22 Pigeon ForgeRod Run / Tail of the Dragon - 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 25th annual Grand Spring Rod Run will be taking place in Pigeon Forge Tennessee this April. The Grand Resort Hotel in Pigeon Forge Hosts the event: http://www.grandresorthotel.com/special_event.html

The event runs from April 19 - April 22.

Thousands of cars are brought in from everywhere. There are car enthusiasts everywhere. If you're looking to buy or sell, you can do that at the show too. The cars line the streets from light 3 to light 10, parking in store lots, open fields, any space between sidewalks and buildings they can fit; on both sides of the street; over about a 3.5 mile stretch. If that isn't enough, cars are constantly cruising through the city bumper to bumper. It's a blast, if you want to see a car, it's prolly there. I've seen the ocassional Model-T, an SL55 AMG, and everything in between at this gathering.
More information here: http://www.grandrodrun.com/

Here's a few random pictures from the http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/view/114977/

Anybody planning to go to the show needs to reserve a room or cabin NOW before it's too late. That's not an exaggeration either, it's near impossible to find a place after April 1st.

Another benefit to going to this awesome car show is it's location. It's close to the legendary US-129.... "The Tail of the Dragon". This road has a whopping 318 curves in just 11 miles. The Tail of the Dragon is America's number one Motorcycle and Sports Car road, it was also named "The Road with the best curves in the US" by Sync Magazine. The road isn't free of dangers though. Besides the insanely tight corners, changes in elevation, areas with no gaurdrail and major dropoffs at the edge or the road, you may meet the ocassional tractor trailer: http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_trucks.html

To get to the Tail of the Dragon from Pigeon Forge:
Turn off of the Parkway onto Wears Valley Road also known as US-321 (West)
Drive 22 miles (You'll go through a town called Townsend, if you get lost)
Turn Left at the Foothills Parkway Exit.
Drive about 1/10 of a mile and get on the Foothills Parkway.
Drive 17 miles.
Turn Left onto US-129, you'll be beside a pretty wide river (can't remember it's name).
Drive 3.2 miles and you're at the start of the Dragon's Tail.
There's a parking lot on the left right here where people can meet up and get set for their trip.

We're going to go to the Dragon's Tail on Saturday, April 21st. I know of at least 2 Fbody's that are gonna be there. We should definitely get some more set up for a cruise through. Me and my buddy plan to make a minimum of 2-3 trips across and back. It would definitely be nice to have 10 cars or more go over with us. It's going to be a blast. So this is the official unofficial "F-Body+ Dragon's Cruise" thread. The plus means you don't have to bring an F-Body, just something fun to drive.

The TN and NC Highway Patrol are both out patrolling this road, so if anybody comes along with us, drive responsibly or you might just end up with a ticket. That said, come on down and lets have a blast.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Rode Dill's Gap (129) several times. It's like Disney Land on a sportbike. Never been through it in a car though. Oh well, first time for everything. Hopefully i'll see you there. Having ridden it alot on a bike, please do the bikers a favor and don't let your wheels drop off the pavement any. It throws up gravel on the road and make it somewhat suck. Believe me.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Regular

Ill be at the Rod Run's Fri-sun. Ill be in the NBM Trans Am... probably one of many many NBM Trans Am's haha. I live about 10 mins from the Deal's Gap. I have driven it NUMEROUS times in my car. It's such a blast you could probably ride a bicycle and have fun.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man… what a blast from the past! I used to be the art director for ET Graphics. The owner of which is one of the promoters for the Grand Run. I used to design these flyers for every show, as well as the t-shirts and souvenirs they sell at the show. There are always a Spring and Fall Grand Run as well as for the Corvette Expo. The two brothers who own Corvette Expo, Byron and Ronny Cooper, are partners with the owner of ET Graphics, Rod Milligan, in these shows. The Shades of the Past is only in the fall and it's always the weekend before the Grand Run. ET Graphics does the shirts and souvenirs for that show as well. As a matter of fact, I'd dare say the ET designs and sells shirts and stuff for 75% - 80% of the carshows in the southeast. Cruisin' the Coast is one of the biggest, down in the Gulfport, MS area.

The Grand Run is a fun show, as long as you don't really need to drive anywhere while you're there. Traffic really sucks on the parkway during the rod runs. Especially for the Spring Grand Run. Dollywood usually opens that same weekend. But, if you can pull into Pigeon Forge on Thursday night and get into your hotel (especially if you stay at the Grand) then you've got it licked. You can basically walk everywhere you want to go in Pigeon Forge. And, if you're there Thursday night, you can just get up in the morning and take the elevator down to the lobby and you're at the show.

I haven't been in a while because it's basically a PITA to just drive up for the day from Knoxville because you'll spend most of your time sitting in traffic. But, I might be willing to go if any local LS1Tech'ers are game enough.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

AnimalSS - Ill be there with bells on. Im sure there's going to be a few members off of here up there. I know a slew of people off of HighPerformancetoys.com will be up there. Ill gladly meet up with anyone.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

A word of advice if you do go. DO NOT for any reason leave Pigeon Forge and go into Gatlinburg( unless you love looking at trees and darkness...for upwards of 1-3 hours) Do not get off on ANY side streets that require a left hand turn to get back onto the strip( if you dont know the area).... you will be sitting in traffic for upwards of 3 hours. Your best bet would be to arrive before 5 PM on friday and sunday. And around noonish-2pm on saturday. When it becomes 7-10 pm traffic will be at a standstill. You may want to park during that time. ha
Old 04-03-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

hehehheh yeah take the backroads if possible ( if your wondering, get a map and look it over from one of those shopping books that are free) I use the backroads all the time very helpful at times, traffic is brutal. I go every april and sept to the rod run ...im there trying to get stuff done to it before then just a dd for now.anyone thats goning to be there look for the tag NTMDATR im driving a BLACK CAMARO ill keep a lookout on the guys that said they will be there .....rev up at me or something ill reply lol