Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

nascar technical institute

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHOtTransAM
do you guys reccomend another school?
YES! I graduated from UTI about a year ago. 100% attendance 4.0 GPA 6 student of the course awards.... Huge waste of money. They will accept almost anyone so they have to explain everything over and over and go real slow. I think it really holds back the smarter people. I could sleep threw most classes, never study and still Ace the test. I was no where near ready to be a tech when I graduated. It takes experience to be able to quickly diagnose problems. It takes experience and the correct tools to be able to quickly repair the vehicles.

Bottom line is the school will help you get your foot in the door at a dealership but you can go to a vocational school for a lot less money and end up with the same job. I will probably end up paying 50k or so for my education and all I gained from it was the general knowledge of how a modern car works and a low paying job.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if anyone of you needs a job when you get in town let me know. I am one of the manager at a country club and we're always looking for help in the restaurant. I've had about 10 guys work for me that went there and I can honestly say half got jobs with NASCAR and the others worked at dealerships and 2 didnt even continue after the left school. Btw my buddy is a fabacator for one of the NASCAR teams and he makes over 80k a year at 26 years old
Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackSuperchargedLS1
What are your career goals?
If you are wanting a job in Nascar, NTI is not the school to go to.
If you are wanting a job at a dealership, NTI is the school to go to.

+1 around these parts NTI for Nascar is the biggest joke. For the dealership scene I would highly recommend. I cannot see spending 30k to get out and make $10 and hour sweeping the floors for some ARCA team.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

I was interested in NTI... right up until I figured out that you HAVE to take the basic crap classes to get the actual NTI stuff. That cut my interest right there. I work for an IndyCar team these days so its not like you need NTI to get a job in racing. Learn a skill that a team needs. Welding, machining, CNC, carry a tire faster than the other guy... Just learn to do something teams need, and learn to do it WELL. And meet/know people. Thats pretty much what it takes.

And if you aren't interested in getting a job in racing, try your local community college. Most of them have auto programs. You could probably save money and learn just as much.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fastmatt98
Well if anyone of you needs a job when you get in town let me know. I am one of the manager at a country club and we're always looking for help in the restaurant. I've had about 10 guys work for me that went there and I can honestly say half got jobs with NASCAR and the others worked at dealerships and 2 didnt even continue after the left school. Btw my buddy is a fabacator for one of the NASCAR teams and he makes over 80k a year at 26 years old
I'll be up there in a few months. What kind of work are you offering?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i graduated from NTI in Dec '05... i had a great time there and i met some really good friends there that i still keep in touch with... but i also met some of the stupidest people that i've ever met in my life there.

if you go there expecting to learn completely how a car works, you'll be satisfied.... if you go there expecting to completely disassemble a car and put it back together, you'll be disappointed.
i had 99% attendance and made A's in most of the classes, and i really learned alot, but what alot of students that were going there didn't understand is that the teachers do the best they can, but they can't teach you every situation, and with 20-30 people in a class there is only so much you can learn in the time that you have in lab.

i was happy with what i learned, but i found out the hard way that if you don't do an MSAT you may as well not go and just get an oil change job and work your way up through the ranks, NOT that its a bad thing, i'm just saying that it will take you the same amount of time to get to the same place.

i just took Nascar Engines 1 & 2, and i really loved those classes, but i was definately burned out and ready to get the hell out of there by the time i took those classes.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

I second that motion.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

does msat extend the 52 weeks expected to spend there or day they add it to the schedule??? im goin there june 8th 2007, starting the 25.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^yes, your core classes are about 40-50 weeks, depending on which MSAT you choose you'll be adding anywhere from 12-24 more weeks, and it'll probably be at another UTI school (Ford, Nascar, and Mazda are the only ones offered at NTI now)

Quick Reply: nascar technical institute