Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Sales tax on a car in Tennessee

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sales tax on a car in Tennessee

Hello all,

I am currently in the market for a 98-02 SS, and I am trying to figure out the taxes the car will have. I plan to call tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone has dealt with this recently. The DMV website is slightly confusing, but here is a link to it. http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/tnt...alesanduse.htm

I am just curious as to how much I will have to spend for tax, title, and registration. (I will most likely be buying the car out of state). Thanks alot.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

9% I believe it was when I bought my truck in Jan. I bought it in TN but opted to pay the AL taxes (2%) vs the 9% TN taxes.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
9% I believe it was when I bought my truck in Jan. I bought it in TN but opted to pay the AL taxes (2%) vs the 9% TN taxes.
lol, how could I opt to pay another states taxes instead of tennessee's?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tpduke112
lol, how could I opt to pay another states taxes instead of tennessee's?
I may be worng but cant you pay the tax's for that state when you buy it? I was asked if I wanted to do it for TN or wait till I got back to Bama. When I asked what she meant, she asked if I wanted to pay the TN taxes or the AL taxes. I asked what the difference was and it was 9%-2%. Maybe Im worng though.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
I may be worng but cant you pay the tax's for that state when you buy it? I was asked if I wanted to do it for TN or wait till I got back to Bama. When I asked what she meant, she asked if I wanted to pay the TN taxes or the AL taxes. I asked what the difference was and it was 9%-2%. Maybe Im worng though.
hmmm, Im going to try to find that out, because I honestly cant think of a state with higher taxes than tennessee and I would love to be able to pay the tax in the state that I bought the car in. Thanks fo the help and if you happen to run across the answer to that question, post it up.

Quick Reply: Sales tax on a car in Tennessee