Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Pit Bull Attacks A Baby

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting reading material...

Check this out....
The deadliest dogs
Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Taken from this article:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

I used to own a pit and loved him. He got hit by a car though. Never had a problem with him but he was only a pup. I'm kinda nuetral on this one but someone mentioned to google the stats so I did.

Let the debate continue.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Sorry about the repeat...

pj4553 wasn't posted when I was googling. Same article though.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by U Got Bit!
Ok this does a mind tripp on me... First of all I have 5 dogs 1 -pitt, 1- rott., 1-english bull dog, 1 pom., 1- chow, and a cat. Guess which one will bite you in a minute???? The Pom. She runs the house. Now, guess which one is the most laid back and best with my children (ages: 3 & 6) yep. the pitt. It is all in how they are raised & bred. My pom just has a preference she hates men!!!! for someone to say all pitbulls are bad; just shows how shallow, uneducated, and stupid that person is. What exactly do you do for a living? you are obviously not a pet owner! What if society put you in a category by intelligence, you would be in trouble. Oh yeah, I have not seen one picture on here of a drug dealer with a pitt. I think your theory was just shot down!!!!!!
Attachment 127242
So if you use this logic, what did you and your wife do wrong raising the pom?? It can't just be aggressive by nature, it's all in how you raise them right??

Last edited by 85Iroc; 04-12-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

theres a pit at my house and the only aggression it shows is towards other dogs when there are treats being handed to them. the pit i swear is bipolar one minute nice, the next someone drops food 2 dogs go for it and pitbull attacks. shes a real nice dog to everybody that meets her, just not to other dogs that want the same treat.
imo pitbulls should be the only dog in the household.

pits need to be watched at all times.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:01 PM

here are 2 of my dogs top 2 on the attacks i have 2 pits a rot and a wennie dog
Attached Thumbnails Pit Bull Attacks A Baby-doggoes-001.jpg   Pit Bull Attacks A Baby-doggoes-002.jpg  

Last edited by stangeater01; 04-12-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss1129
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

This guy was a pitbull supporter. Just read the article.

UPDATE 12.15.07: So far in 2007, pit bull types are responsible for 20 of the 30 dog bite fatalities, 67% percent. The nearest competitor is the rottweiler at 14% percent. Given that pit bulls make up about 5-9% percent of US household dogs, there is a clear disproportionate relationship to the number of pit bulls and the amount of killing done by them.

From and thats just fatalities. Stats dont lie, nor do they discriminate. They are just unpredictable and dangerous dogs. You can show your pics with your kid sitting by him all day, but when he flips his gord and attacks, you will be whistling a different tune.

http://www.dogsbite.org/blog/2007/12...l-attacks.html

you know that **** makes me sick any time a kid or some one gets attacked by a dog its a pit no matter what kind of dog it is really i have seen many people on the news that say it was a pit that bite them and they show pics of the dog and it has long hair and is no where nere being a pit but you know if you dont like them thats you i have been around the breed all my life and never one time had any bad things happen bc my dogs are good dogs and get all kinds of att and not just put in the back yerd and left untill they want to look like a tuff guy but do and say what you one thats just like me saying all black people do crack!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Pits are great dogs. Just treat them right. Mine is a year old and she is just the nicest dog to everyone.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stangeater01
here are 2 of my dogs top 2 on the attacks i have 2 pits a rot and a wennie dog
and I would almost bet that the weenie dog runs the show doesnt he??
Old 04-12-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 3pnt4maro
and I would almost bet that the weenie dog runs the show doesnt he??

not yet
Old 04-13-2008, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadbird96
you know that **** makes me sick any time a kid or some one gets attacked by a dog its a pit no matter what kind of dog it is really i have seen many people on the news that say it was a pit that bite them and they show pics of the dog and it has long hair and is no where nere being a pit but you know if you dont like them thats you i have been around the breed all my life and never one time had any bad things happen bc my dogs are good dogs and get all kinds of att and not just put in the back yerd and left untill they want to look like a tuff guy but do and say what you one thats just like me saying all black people do crack!!!
your right, because that guy only thought he owed a pitbull. You assume everyone else is dumb, but it is you who is arguing AGAINST PROVEN STATISTICS.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

This guy was a pitbull supporter. Just read the article.

He looks like your tipical billy bad *** wanna be Pit bull owner. The large majority of people get them because they think there cool/tuff to have a big/bad/mean Pit bull. These are also the type of people who neglect them and dont give them the attention that the breed needs to keep the dogs from becoming agressive or jealous.

The dog probably didnt get the attention it did before the baby was there and got jealous... sounds cheezy but Pits are like that.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Teching In

So vicious...

Better hide your children...

We've had our pit for 3 years now. She has never bitten anyone...ever. She loves those kids (my nephews). Anytime one of them gets in trouble and starts crying, she runs over to them and starts licking them, trying to make them feel better. One of the best dogs I've ever owned. She's a total sweetheart. It's all about how you raise them. Our next door neighbors have a lab mix that stays outside and is kindof neglected. That dog is MUCH more agressive than ours.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by academytim
So vicious...
We've had our pit for 3 years now. She has never bitten anyone...ever. She loves those kids (my nephews). Anytime one of them gets in trouble and starts crying, she runs over to them and starts licking them, trying to make them feel better. One of the best dogs I've ever owned. She's a total sweetheart. It's all about how you raise them. Our next door neighbors have a lab mix that stays outside and is kindof neglected. That dog is MUCH more agressive than ours.
Thats about the same time frame I had mine and you described her exactly.
She would beat you with her tail and lick you to death, it didnt matter who you were... But she changed in a very short period and wasnt the same dog. She started growling at my daughter, the neighbors and acted like she was jealous of my daughter because she wasnt the one getting all the attention any more.

Its no 100% in how they are raised ither, there agressive, jealous, very over protective dogs. They need a hell of a lot more attention than a lot of other breeds.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

yup i'm a crack dealer! I have 2 one of which is 85 pounds.... and he is scared of my brother-in-law's boston terrier. It is how they are raised, i agree with many of the people's statements on here, and many i don't. I didn't get them to look bad ***, there is nothing about my dogs that looks bad ***, you come to the door, and they stand there wondering if you are gonna come in and pet them. I do believe that the media gives these dogs a bad rap. When i was growing up pit bull attacks were never heard of, it was all Rotti's then. But what happened to all those attacks, i guess they decided not to attack any more. But that's just me. If you don't own a pitt, or have owned a pitt to where you know exactly how it was raised, i do not believe you have any room to speak on this matter!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 021less
yup i'm a crack dealer! I have 2 one of which is 85 pounds.... and he is scared of my brother-in-law's boston terrier. It is how they are raised, i agree with many of the people's statements on here, and many i don't. I didn't get them to look bad ***, there is nothing about my dogs that looks bad ***, you come to the door, and they stand there wondering if you are gonna come in and pet them. I do believe that the media gives these dogs a bad rap. When i was growing up pit bull attacks were never heard of, it was all Rotti's then. But what happened to all those attacks, i guess they decided not to attack any more. But that's just me. If you don't own a pitt, or have owned a pitt to where you know exactly how it was raised, i do not believe you have any room to speak on this matter!
thank you sir!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

no problem man. What kills more people than anything? Humans.... what are they gonna do, put us all to sleep? Its all bull ****. and i'm sick of hearing it. You know what dogs i hate. Cocker Spaniels. Only dogs that have ever bit me was them little lazy bastards.. I think we should kill all the bastards. but hey, thats just my opinion and its like an *******, everyones got one! Well unless a cocker spaniel bit it off!
Old 04-16-2008, 05:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

How many people have cocker spanials killed? Now compare that to how many people pits have killed. Your argument is ******* absurd.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

and your point would be...... what? I have my opinion, you have yours. your statement has no change in my opinion, nor does anyone else. I will always have pits reguardless if they out law them. Same way about guns, it ain't gonna stop people from having them.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

eh, hope you don't get mad about this Adam...

I think it mostly depends on how they are raised. With that said, I believe at the same time you should air a little bit of extra caution because they are known as an unpredictable breed. I wouldn't put a 6 year old in a room with 2 pit bulls, but I would with 2 chows. Why? The chows can't kill them, the pit bulls may. Would I put the kid in a room with 2 collies? I don't know, I would feel better about that than 2 pit bulls. It's like having a BB gun and a .22. I am more careful with the 22 even though they both pose some danger.

I'm mostly here to see people's opinions and experiences, but I do have my own. who knows maybe my ideas will change.

Also....bud you better take care of this

your kid is being placed in a submissive position there, and I don't think it's a good idea to let the dog have dominance over a family member...It's also obviouse the women is pulling it back in several of the photos, I would make it have more respect for the kid. Just my $.02
Old 04-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Teching In

We have two pits....great dogs. But you better be a dog person with plenty of time for them!

Quick Reply: Pit Bull Attacks A Baby