Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

NC speeding ticket: 85 in 65

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC speeding ticket: 85 in 65

so im on the way to work goin down the interstate. Get pulled over and get a ticket for doing 85 in 65. Also the state trooper seemed to think I was following other cars too closely. Heres the thing, I have a radar detector which has never failed me and during the whole experience it never went off. When the officer pulled me he asked me what my big hurry was and then he asks "do u mind tellin me how fast you were going". I told him to be honest sir I dont really know. Then he says, "Now be honest with me, how fast were you going?" I told him once again sir I honestly dont know. So he walks back to the car and gives me the ticket for speeding 20 over and following too closely. Im thinking he has no idea how fast I was going since he continually asked me and my radar never went off. After reading some get out of ticket posts I realize I shud have asked to see his radar reading. Also the officer wrote that traffic was "heavy" on the ticket. Wouldnt heavy traffic also play a role in his ability to radar me or even judge my speed? I have got to get out of this ticket guys. I know shame on me for speeding but who doesnt these days. Do I have a chance in court against this guy or am I royally screwed?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, even though the radar did not go off, it doesn't mean he didn't get you.

I agree though, something sounds screwy about it. If traffic was that bad, why did he pick you out of the 100's of other cars that must have also been speeding? I mean, I can tell you why, but I think you know how we are all singled out in these cars.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

your first mistake was trusting a radar detector... My dad is a retired alabama state trooper and hes proved to me over and over that they are worthless, no matter how much they cost or what the company claims.
When it comes down to going to court its gonna be his word against yours and who do you think they are gonna go with? 90% of the time in traffic court they side with the officer..From what I've seen anyway
I dunno how much fines are there but its prolly cheaper to bite the bullet and pay the ticket..
Old 07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

The cop will win.

You can try to have a lawyer ($600 or more) get a reduced ticket (non-moving violation for example) or you can try yourself on the day of court with the "court solicitor." Let me warn you that he's a hard person (he's heard it all,) and he/she doesn't care... last case you can talk to the judge, but he/she will probably find you guilty and you'll pay the fine anyway... in addition to wasting your day at court.

Pay the ticket or take one of the two/three options listed above.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont feel bad,I got busted the same way as you heading home from the beach (Atlantic Beach).I was busted going 70 in a 55 mile zone in New Bern during the Memorial Day weekend last year.My radar was on but it didn't go off when I was looking right at the HP.I work at a TV Station and we did story about the HP have a new radar that can pick off cars one by one.This new radar can go undetected from car radars.The first town to use this new radar (Before The HP Got Theirs) was in Cary NC. I got busted by this new radar.When I went to court for this ticket,they drop the speed and paid the cost of court and stuff like that (No Point On License or Insurance). Now that the HP, City and Country POPO have this new radar floating around,we have to upgrade our radar to pick up this new radar signal.So be careful guys
Old 07-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Banned

Lightbulb Trust me, I'm a PRO at this -- Class is in session.

Originally Posted by KILLERARMY
Dont feel bad,I got busted the same way as you heading home from the beach (Atlantic Beach).I was busted going 70 in a 55 mile zone in New Bern during the Memorial Day weekend last year.My radar was on but it didn't go off when I was looking right at the HP.I work at a TV Station and we did story about the HP have a new radar that can pick off cars one by one.This new radar can go undetected from car radars.The first town to use this new radar (Before The HP Got Theirs) was in Cary NC. I got busted by this new radar.When I went to court for this ticket,they drop the speed and paid the cost of court and stuff like that (No Point On License or Insurance). Now that the HP, City and Country POPO have this new radar floating around,we have to upgrade our radar to pick up this new radar signal.So be careful guys

It's not radar... it's "laser." And it's been around for a decade at least... I got one back in '99..... I've argued, and fought, and had dismissed, and have been found guilty -at least a dozen tickets in the last decade so here's what I've learned over time:

It (the laser gun) bounces a laser beam from the gun to your car and back and depending on the time it takes to get back (depending on distance) it gives the officer the speed.

You're F#cked if it's laser... he only has to show in court that the laser gun has this license and it's the word of gold... even if he never shot you he could say that and show the gun's license and his word is gold..

If it's radar "x" (antique) or "K" (better) or "Ka" (best of all) then you have some arguments... you can ask in court for the last time the unit was "calibrated" and he has to show good data within a month or two showing it's in spec... it's tuned with forks that have a frequency... you can even argue the competence of the calibration test....

The oldest x band is thrown off by rain droplets (it clocks droplets sometimes you can argue) but no cops use x-band... it's mostly used for opening doors in front of Wal-Mart.... (that's why your detector beeps in urban areas.)

But all radar is crap.... most speed traps have a cop with a gun hunched over his hood or out his window and he "shoots" you with laser. It's instant, and only detectors set up for laser can let you know, but when they go off it's because the laser is already hitting you.... hence the laser's infallable reputation as the tool to use... and the tool to judge by.

If your ticket is marked "laser" or in court the cop says he used a laser and he has docs (they all show up in court with docs) -you're done.

Even if it was regular radar that was used -my arguments towards radar listed above is nothing that the judge will listen to, you'll be nothing more than entertainment for the brief moment you're there.

Refer back to my original post for options. ~Joshua

Last edited by ~JOSHUA; 07-11-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:25 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Same thing happened to me in Northern Kentucky recently, the trooper was getting pissed I wouldnt admit I was speeding to him, I just said I wasnt paying attention to my speed and I was just keeping up with traffic. Called a lawyer in KY to handle it and the first thing he asked is if I admitted I was speeding and I said no, according to him if you say how fast you were going (and its as fast as he got you on radar/laser) its an admission of guilt and could be on tape. Went from a $190.00 speeding ticket and a conviction to $200.00 to the lawyer and no conviction.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Do a search on www.carolinarides.com on speeding tickets or lawyers. If you live in NC it's not the cost of the ticket or points you worry about but how high your insurance goes up. Get a lawyer. I never worried about that when living in IL, got several tickets and my insurance never went up.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

State Troopers are supposedly trained to be able to tell your speed using only their best judgment. Which I believe is probably just a ploy to get out of actually having anything on you. Either way, no one will believe you over a cop.

Even if you can only get it reduced to 9mph over thats only 1 point on your insurance, and 1 point alone doesn't affect anything. Though if you already have some or if you get some later, then price is gonna go up.

Jon

Also on a side note I had a 84 in a 55 that I got reduced to 64 in a 55. The cop asked me what the hurry was and I told him that I had to bid on something on eBay that was ending soon. He didn't think that was as funny as I did, though it was true.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

This story sounds fishy, but I have been paced before by an Unmarked car. He said he had me at 94 in a 55 and wrote me a wreakless driving for that speed, but to this day I don't believe I was going that fast. I was speeding though and my actions could have been taken as wreakless, so I just hired a lawyer (H Monroe Whitesides Jr was the **** if you are in Charlotte). Got out of the ticket without even having to pay for it. Best $400 I had ever spent and the first thing I will do if I ever get busted again. Good deal too since the ticket was $250 by itself.

Main thing is you need a lawyer that knows the people in the courts where you will have to show. The first thing he said when I told him where I was to appear was (oh, don't worry, I play golf with a few people down there. We'll have this taken care of in no time."
Old 07-17-2008, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

In NC just get a lawyer. I got two 70 in a 55's within like 3 months of each other and got both dropped to improper equipment for under $300. I didnt have to go to court, driving school, points on my license, nothing. Called up the lawyer, spent 3 minutes on the phone giving him my CC number and he pulled the ticket up on his computer and a week later i got a letter stating he got it dropped. Best $$ ive ever spent.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

George Laughren if in Charlotte. That guy got me out of a 83 in a 45.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Hey, I'm 19 and got a 85 in a 65 about a year ago (at 18) and for about $450 got it dropped, no points or insurance hikes, nothing on my record

Depends on what county, and if you have a bad history.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Jedi Master

So you didn't know how fast you were going? Sounds like you were wrong, cop was right. You lose.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Where do you live at? I know in western NC, the HP loves to use that VASCAR crap on you... I used to hate going to my Dad's house, because everything i went up there, i got a damn speeding ticket.... I pay for some roadwork in Burke county that year
Old 11-11-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

most of the times ive been pulled over for speeding i have gotten out of getting a ticket by just being polite and honest
however a few times ive recieved a ticket ive fought it and won
just get a good lawyer and your good to go
Old 11-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Read the ticket it has to say how he found your speed.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
Well, even though the radar did not go off, it doesn't mean he didn't get you.

I agree though, something sounds screwy about it. If traffic was that bad, why did he pick you out of the 100's of other cars that must have also been speeding? I mean, I can tell you why, but I think you know how we are all singled out in these cars.

I dont get singled out in my car and its loud as ****. Its prolly bc I gave up on speeding several years back after a dozen or so tickets. Now I will blast away and slow back to the posted speed or within 5 mph. You will never have to buy radar detectors or pay tickets ever again.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Wonder how much thats gonna run ya....sucks.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Ya I feel for you op, N.C sux. I got popped on the left lane on I 40 w/b about 18 miles east of the Tn line (going around that Fukn gorge) in my semi last year where no trucks are allowed in left lane. Well long story short there was an Ashley furniture semi doing about 30 mph and I was empty doing about 55, I gambled and went to go around the guy and someone yelled out on the cb for me to jump back into my lane b/c a cop was looking at the bottom. Less than half of my truck was in the left lane, I got pulled over anyway and was cited for failure to maintain lan control. I hired Fitzpatrick out of Haywood co and after giving my cc# and 600 bux that 4 pointer went bye bye (equipment violation). Don't take it in the *** end laying down bro, hire a good lawyer and go down swinging. In all my trafffic cases (many) 83 in a 60 in the G35 last year,85 in a 65 year b4 last (Bmw), afew 78's in a 65 I NEVER had a conviction because I lawyer up. I've been a real good boy lately though and have not had a speening or any ticket since 08 b/c my luck is prolly due to run out. G/l though bud

Quick Reply: NC speeding ticket: 85 in 65