Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Georgia Emissions Experts....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Georgia Emissions Experts....

Hey guys,

As I understand it, GA doesn't require a visual emissions inspection for a 2002 Camaro SS. In order to pass, it must pass all of the computer (OBD II) tests. Of course, such is NOT the case for the OBD I cars.

Check out my setup below. I passed without an issue back in February when I switched my tags from NC to GA. Fortunately, I don't have any codes, etc. however I just went to the station and wasn't willing to pass the car because of a visual inspection.

If any of you guys have any info that might be helpful, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what part of atlanta, there are a few mod friendly shops around.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Creman
what part of atlanta, there are a few mod friendly shops around.
I'm in Sandy Springs -- northern Atlanta. Ideally, if I could find anything in the Sandy Springs, Roswell or Alpharetta areas that would be great. That being said, given that my inspection needs to be completed by Friday, I'm willing to travel if you have anyone else in mind that is just outside of the area.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

I don't live in ATL so I'm ingorant, don't you have to do it in your county? My in-laws get theirs done in conyers...let me ask around and see
Old 08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Yes you must have it done in the county in which your car is registered. Someone correct me if Im wrong but I believe the inspection varies from county to county. Personally when I had my 01 Z28 and 01 T/A inspected in douglas county they didnt do a visual inspection, just took off the gas cap and hooked the computer into the PCM
Old 08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Yea it's not really a visual inspection for OBDII vehicles. But when you're car is loping like a damn freight train they can get curious. Do a search on here this topic has been covered before, I know there are a few people that know where to go.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the emission station at the corner of hwy 41 and mars hill rd. Its in the same place as a car wash and the guy that do's the testing has a bad azz 68 camaro! With that said as long as it passed the obII test he was cool with it!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by neeshSS
But when you're car is loping like a damn freight train they can get curious. Do a search on here this topic has been covered before, I know there are a few people that know where to go.
Yeah, this was precisely my problem. I had the cutout closed and everything, however it still has a pretty decent lope at idle.

I've searched all over here and wasn't able to find anything that was particularly helpful for Fulton County. Hence, I'm hoping someone can chime in on this one.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just pull up to some of the small emissions tents (try to find a younger kid running it or something), and ask if they do visuals on OBDII vehicles. If your car is nice, a lot of times a younger guy will be more interested in checking out your car rather than caring if it has cats on it.

IF you can get your emissions checked in another county (I never heard of this rule about not being able to), give me a shout.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got this off of the GA Clean Air website: NOTE THE HIGHLIGHTED SECTION.

Newer vehicles (1996 - 2005) can be tested at any station. Look for an inspection station sign that reads "1996 or Newer Vehicles Welcome" or "All Vehicles Welcome."

Vehicles 1995 and older (1984-1995), must be tested at stations marked "All Vehicles Welcome."

For a complete listing of all vehicle testing locations, view the Testing Locations section. Testing tips:
You are not required to have your vehicle inspected in the county where your vehicle is registered. Warm up your engine to make sure the emission control equipment is working properly prior to inspection. You have the right to observe the inspection as it is performed.

Given that I'm not exactly restricted to Fulton County, if anyone knows a mod-friendly shop in the Atlanta area, shoot me a PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Cobb county and have never had a visual done on my car. I was sweating bullets when I first got the cam, headers, etc. because the car had an SLP LM on it and was loud as hell, especially in his little metal building. He never looked twice at it or made any comments. Wasn't a young guy either. Hooked to the computer and tested the gas cap, no codes and passed the OBDII readiness test. I was on my way. I've only taken it 2 places and neither gave me any trouble. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you now are required to check for cats. thats all. the whole process used to be real simple and quick but now the test takes longer. just started last month.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Teh Juggernaut
Yes you must have it done in the county in which your car is registered. Someone correct me if Im wrong but I believe the inspection varies from county to county. Personally when I had my 01 Z28 and 01 T/A inspected in douglas county they didnt do a visual inspection, just took off the gas cap and hooked the computer into the PCM

I would have to dissagree with ya buddy. I live in Woodstock (Cherokee county) and did mine in Cobb county and had no problem

You can go anywhere in GA and get it done some countys dont have it at all. Like Barrtow for example just went up there with some last week and they had a check engine light on and still got a tag.

I dont think that the tag people really pay attetion to that stuff they just wanna know if the car passed or not. Shiot *** a matter of fact you go through all the work to get the damn paper and they look at it for 2 sec and give it right back. Your best bet is to go to a diffrent county and look for a mom and paps emmisions test just look for a sign. Good luck just make sure you dont have a CEL
Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Now that you mention it, yeah I am retarded. I actually had my camaro done in cobb county one year. DUH.

I gave up on my T/A passing and just registered it in carroll county where i had an apt. No emissions so no testing or waste of money
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Ok if you got an emission inspection in feb then your good for a year. No need to get reinspected.

Doug
Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

no inspection in columbia county
i can mod how i want, except im stock
Old 08-10-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 526 Likes on 370 Posts

This year is definitely different. The test now has a portion where they crank the car with the obd scanner plugged in, as well as doing the visual cat check.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 AM
LSX Mechanic

The original posters problem has been taken care of
Old 10-24-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ABS inop will this fail Atlanta, Georgia emissions

my ABS brake sys. has been lighting up then going out over the past couple of months, I plan on sending the electrical section of the ABS block to get rebuilt.

? ABS inop will this fail Atlanta, Georgia emissions?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 09:18 AM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by badmfkr
my ABS brake sys. has been lighting up then going out over the past couple of months, I plan on sending the electrical section of the ABS block to get rebuilt.

? ABS inop will this fail Atlanta, Georgia emissions?

Thanks
You could just try pulling the sensor(s) out of the rear and spraying off with some parts cleaner. I've seen them get so gummed up before that they no longer read.

That's a good question though. I'm not sure if an ABS fault will cause a failed emissions or not. My Snap-on Solus can read ABS related problems so let me know if you need some help.

Quick Reply: Georgia Emissions Experts....