Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

"factory freaks"? Someone explain.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit213
Factory freaks?

More like different weather conditions, different drivers, etc.
This is more than true.Track condition's,Driver,Air temp.,Elevation all contribute to how fast a car can go!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Casting flaws, machining tolerances, and some would say holding your mouth just right. Outside of weather conditions and the driver mod, factory freaks do exist. I used to see it in motorcycles ALL the time. I worked in the assembly department at a local dealership. The amount of assembly varied per model but everything comes with the engine/transmission assembled. Certain bikes of the same year model would be noticeably faster than others. Every year I would assemble 2 or 3 KX 450F's that would be blindingly fast from the first start up. I would also assemble 2 or 3 that were, well, factory turds. They were all treated the same from the moment they came out of the crate. Following the factory assembly and service manual for everything. Some engines just run better than others.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Launching!

So anyone want to chime in on the fact that some '96 LT1 cars got VARIOUS left over LT4 parts? Anyone? Beuller? Since, it was common knowledge and GM actually did leak out that it happened. Some F-Bodies "mistakenly" got the LT4 cam and/or valvetrain. Some were even rumored to have the LT4 heads and cam but that's never been confirmed through GM. So yes, factory freaks....exist. But not in Mustangs, they're all slow.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:34 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Later Big Daddy ran a 10.14 and backed it up with a 10.18. I'm thinking by the time Dale Jr. gets his turn behind the wheel we'll be well into the 9s. Tony Schumacher says he can get it in the 8s on street tires. Dreamer!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Didn't read the thread (this is a common topic), so someone might have said this, but "factory freaks" are a thing of the past. Yes, they existed in the glory days of the past, but they haven't been around for a long, long time. Manufacturing tolerances are much tighter. It doesn't really matter as much if Joebob on the line is having a good day or bad day anymore.

And, if someone in this thread suggested that parts got "accidentally" swapped, like a super-secret cam shaft or something, that's ignorance to the point of childishness. Only a 13 year old would actually believe something that stupid.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Factory freak does not mean that there were different parts "accidentally" installed. There are manufacturing tolerances that can and do happen, as well as assembly procedures varying slightly from car to car. Also, the way the car was driven while new can have an impact on how it performs.

Let's face it, although the cars SHOULD be very comparable in actual performance, if you were to purchase 5 new F bods back in 02, 01, etc, and put them all on the dyno, and run them at the strip, some will be faster than others. It's just reality.

With all that said, my definition of a factory freak is one that performs better than the average car but they will have the same factory installed parts.

Having a superb driver coupled with a good running car can make it tick off some great times, making it seem even more "freakish".

I hadn't had my car but a month or two when I took it to the track on street tires and it layed down multiple 13.0 at 108.xx with sub-par 2.xx 60fts. After those passes I got it in the 12.9s at nearly 109 mph....108.96 to be exact, with only a 2.050 short time. The car layed down 321 rwhp/331rwtq later that summer with only an SLP lid.

I know for a fact I have driven some other m6 f bods that didn't have what it takes to run 12s stock or nearly stock, even if I drove them the same as I did my own.
100% correct and labeling anything else a "factory freak" (that is not a car with all factory parts just on the better side of tolerance limit but with some better part on it) is just a waste of band width.

Here's an example (JUST an EXAGGERATED example, not actual)...

LT1's are supposed to have 1.5 roller rockers. Let's say the tolerance is 1.45-1.55.

My car gets the 1.45's, Mike's car gets the 1.5s and Gilbert's car gets the 1.55's.

My car is slower than the "factory" rating. Mike's car is dead on. Gilbert's car is faster.

SO, I buy some 1.6 roller rockers and see a HUGE gain. Mike buys some also looking for the same gain and gets a gain but not as much. Gilbert buys some and hardly notices any improvement.

A lot of "factory freaks" don't respond to some mods well (because they aren't as big as an improvement as the expect it to be) while "slow" cars tend to responds to mods well.

Of course, it is a crap shoot as to what parts you have that are hindering/improving performance from factory tolerances. It could be exhaust, it could be internal, etc...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Factory parts are not going to have that big of tolerances, esp with modern machining, your factory rockers might have a .002 of a difference but 1.5 are not going to have a whole tenth of variance.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
Factory parts are not going to have that big of tolerances, esp with modern machining, your factory rockers might have a .002 of a difference but 1.5 are not going to have a whole tenth of variance.
ONCE AGAIN, as I posted in the post above yours... "JUST an EXAGGERATED example, not actual"
Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Launching!

All motors are different they are within certain specs but they will have their differences especially due to tooling wear and when they were upgraded and or replaced and when they were produced during the week. Haha union guys.

Gaurantee the wed motor had more detail than the monday or friday.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by unit213
Factory freaks?

More like different weather conditions, different drivers, etc.
i couldnt have said it better bottom line no such thing as a factory freak
Old 02-20-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can we stop posting in this thread, Haha. BOTTOM LINE they don't exist, at least not in an extreme enough form to call them 'freaks'. It always comes down to the driver mod.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Launching!

haha ok. They do exist. Come on down to GM where I work and tell the engineers on the dynos why they are running two of the same engines both on either ends of the tolerances. Each engine is different but is rolled out as long as its in tolerance spec. For example compression can be within .1 of the advertised number high or low.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Launching!

You know, while I had my time at an assembly plant I could totaly see a factory freak being created! Albeit, we were building Ford Escapes and the other two models, it could very well happen. Could of been a late nite, maybe a break down for a few hours on the line. Motor line guys go hit the bar and get lit. Makes the nite go by faster and funner. Get back, decide to put an LS6 or just the plain vette motor in the Ls1 line! Makes it down the line and checks out. There you go!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Or did they put the motors together @ the canadian plant where they were built???
Old 02-23-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
You know, while I had my time at an assembly plant I could totaly see a factory freak being created! Albeit, we were building Ford Escapes and the other two models, it could very well happen. Could of been a late nite, maybe a break down for a few hours on the line. Motor line guys go hit the bar and get lit. Makes the nite go by faster and funner. Get back, decide to put an LS6 or just the plain vette motor in the Ls1 line! Makes it down the line and checks out. There you go!!!
Thats not going to happen they are very clearly labelled and even a drunk employee could read it. And they come in different shipments, AND if GM execs. ever got word of this they would have that employee out of work immediately.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Launching!

I don't think so Iceman, not with Unioins. It takes a lot to get rid of a union employee, and being drunk or swaping parts isn't going to do it.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always thought that factory freaks are found by the way higher numbers the car puts down with the same mods compared to others. I guess compared to average numbers.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

I saw a factory freak non y-87 no posi v6 camaro run 14.4 with just the spare tire jack removed.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I remember some Mustang mag was pissed at for because they took out an 02 ss and it ran 12.9s out of the box on a hot day. I believe it was an m6.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

my cousins BONE STOCK 6spd 2002 firehawk put 347 rwhp down and 331 rwtq.

Quick Reply: "factory freaks"? Someone explain.