Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

10th Ann. firehawk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

David, I suppose you were 8 when I bought my first LS1 Formula, lol. Dang!

Firehawks period were more costly, and most dealerships did not stock them. They could get WS6's by the dozens from Pontiac, and those sold so well that most dealers didn't bother to inventory the more expensive Firehawk. Most of the Firehawks you see out there were custom ordered by individuals, and a few select dealerships that actually appreciated what they were. The 10th Anniv car was slighty more expensive than other Firehawks. I believe a convertible 10th was pushing $40K back then. Typical WS6 verts were in the $31-32K range, non-Anniv Hawk verts sold in the $35-36K range. Not MSRP, but what they sold for. All of these were pricey cars when new.

When we started LS1Tech, the average age of the owners was around 29. It typically took a decent job to afford a new LS1. I'd say the average aged owner is now is around 18.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

Firehawks period were more costly, and most dealerships did not stock them. They could get WS6's by the dozens from Pontiac, and those sold so well that most dealers didn't bother to inventory the more expensive Firehawk. Most of the Firehawks you see out there were custom ordered by individuals, and a few select dealerships that actually appreciated what they were. The 10th Anniv car was slighty more expensive than other Firehawks. I believe a convertible 10th was pushing $40K back then. Typical WS6 verts were in the $31-32K range, non-Anniv Hawk verts sold in the $35-36K range. Not MSRP, but what they sold for. All of these were pricey cars when new.

When we started LS1Tech, the average age of the owners was around 29. It typically took a decent job to afford a new LS1. I'd say the average aged owner is now is around 18.
Thanks for the info. This cars were expensive new, more then I thought. I like them though. Its cool you have been around a ls1 for 10 years. sounds like you got it good. lol.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Well to help up your avg. age Nine Ball,I'm 40 & I really wish I had the cash to get yours. It is exactly what I want. But I was getting married & having children when they came out so I couldn't afford one.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of you guys must have been on another Earth when these cars were new, based on the comments above. The cars were not popular? That isn't what I recall. They were actually very desirable when brand new, just too expensive. The price tag of them kept most people from buying them, not anything to do with them being unpopular. The white/blue 30th T/A was also very popular when new. The 2002 yellow CETA was the least popular when new, those things used to sit brand new on the dealer lots all around the country. Nobody wanted them, and several were still on the lot a year after they quit building Firebirds. Baby **** yellow kinda hurts the demand on the CETA.
I don't agree. the 30th T/A's were not exactly cheap in 99. They sold all 1600 of them. I just don't think the 10th Anniv Hawks were popular Come on, they sold 139 of these cars in the U.S. & Canada & you say they were Popular??? 139? I agree that they were more expensive but that wouldn't have deterred anyone if the car was done right. I am almost sure the WS.6 Verts were mid 30's..My 30th was close to $32,000 non vert..I think the hawk was maybe 2-3 grand more for the t-top version
Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is one for sale in Raleigh, NC

36K miles and wanting $18,500
http://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...ad.php?t=86134
Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Launching!

my pops ordered my car new and i think after ttl and markup it was right under 37k, you deffinatley DONT see these cars, without the gold stripes i think the car looks a whole lot better but also i couldn't find a complete set of replacement stripes (couldn't find the left side hood stipe) when it got wrecked. After looking at all the 10th anniversarys over the years i have a feeling that mine might be the most highly modified, you hardly ever see a moddified one much less a completely modified one that looks stock. you should see the looks on peoples faces at car shows when i fire this bitch up.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know of 3 heavily modified 10th Ann'y cars.
One was in Colorado, but recently sold thru Ebay a few months ago. Not sure where it went to.
One in the Chicago area. Dragan's.
One in north Iowa.
All 3 of them have lots of drivetrain mod's. Not to say they're where yours is, but I do know they all have mechanical drivetrain mod's.

Mine has some minor cosmetic changes, some minimal performance upgrades, & a box full of headers/cam/converter parts that need to be installed one of these days.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TAtoad
why should of they made the 30th black and white? all anniversary models have been white and blue, it just wouldn't of been historic
NOPE, not true. The '79 10th anniv was silver, and the '89 20th anniv was white and gold. Given that the 25th was white/blue, making the 30th white/blue would've been the first time 2 anniversary models in a row were the same color combo, it was time for a change in '99. And what other color combo besides white/blue is more historic for the T/A than black/gold?

HOWEVER, in retrospect, after the '98 LPE/Hurst I can see why Pontiac didn't go w/ black/gold for the 30th. BUT back in Sept '98 when I was signing papers for my new '98 and I was for the first time browsing the '98 Firebird sales brochure which contained a picture of a '69 T/A w/ the twin-scoop hood, it first occurred to me that '99 would be the 30th anniversary. The 30th T/A model had not yet been revealed to the public, nor had I heard of the LPE/Hurst for '98 (I knew of the '97s and that they were black/gold). I told my salesman that I hoped the 30th would be black/gold, and he reached in his drawer and pulled out pictures of a pair of '98 LPE/Hurst cars that had been sitting out back waiting to be delivered to their owners. My jaw dropped, and before he could tell me much about those cars, he said, "There's one right now". I looked out the window of the showroom to see a '98 LPE/Hurst cruising through the lot giving my WS6 a look-over. It was the only time I've laid eyes on any LPE/Hurst T/A.

I still like the black/gold better than white/blue.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

No doubt, Firehawks were a notch up in $$ from a WS6 and the only time a dealer had one on the lot was when it was either abandoned by the buyer who ordered it or it was waiting to be picked up by the new owner, just like WS6s in '98 (been there, done that). It really wasn't until 'the '00 model year that WS6 production began meeting demand and dealers were able to keep a few on their lots. By '02 WS6s were plentiful.

My '98 WS6 'vert stickered $34,xxx (I paid under that because it was one of the last '98s converted and '99s had begun delivery), the 30th 'verts were stickering $36,xxx but most dealers were marking them up into the low $40s because you had such a hard time even finding ONE on a lot. I'm pretty sure 10th Hawk 'verts, being much more rare than 30th 'verts, were selling over $40k. I believe the 2 primary factors that compressed the 10th Hawk sales were A) A sizeable bump-up in price for not much more than decals and a wing over a non-10th Hawk, and B) SLP did not promote the 10th nearly as much as Pontiac did for the 30ths or CETAs. Additionally, I'm sure very few, if any dealers were brave enough to stock a 10th Hawk. The vast majority of Hawks, 10ths or not, were ordered by their buyers, not by dealers to put on their lots.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I first found out about the 10th in 2000, I was interested. Thought about getting one infact. But the way that the SLP mods and staff on their forum treated me and others made me think otherwise. Ended up waiting and snagging the VERY LAST factory special edition T/A which I think was a better idea. (my opinion, tho)

From what I read, the year after the 10th was released and seeing a few up close and personal, a lot of owners were unhappy with them. The gold painted exhaust tips chipped and flaked and you couldn't get them replaced. The hood decals were printed on clear vinyl so there was a nasty outline past the faded edge of the gold that showed up after some time. Then there were quite a few that had hood bubbles, but that was a general firehawk problem back then.
Heck my two little bird decals on my hood finally bit it, but at least they lasted over 7 years. (decal rot sucks!)

and yeah, too bad the "baby **** yellow" CETA was only chosen the pace the 44th running of the Daytona 500 and not chosen for the more spectacular X-men Premiere like the 10th was....

note: not putting down on the 10th or owners, but I gotta defend the CE's. heh heh.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BANDITCAR
When I first found out about the 10th in 2000, I was interested. Thought about getting one infact. But the way that the SLP mods and staff on their forum treated me and others made me think otherwise. Ended up waiting and snagging the VERY LAST factory special edition T/A which I think was a better idea. (my opinion, tho)

From what I read, the year after the 10th was released and seeing a few up close and personal, a lot of owners were unhappy with them. The gold painted exhaust tips chipped and flaked and you couldn't get them replaced. The hood decals were printed on clear vinyl so there was a nasty outline past the faded edge of the gold that showed up after some time. Then there were quite a few that had hood bubbles, but that was a general firehawk problem back then.
Heck my two little bird decals on my hood finally bit it, but at least they lasted over 7 years. (decal rot sucks!)

and yeah, too bad the "baby **** yellow" CETA was only chosen the pace the 44th running of the Daytona 500 and not chosen for the more spectacular X-men Premiere like the 10th was....

note: not putting down on the 10th or owners, but I gotta defend the CE's. heh heh.
I agree, the decal package was really bad IMO. I saw what you described myself. The Firehawk decal on the door was the same way. You could see the backing on the black paint. They needed to make them die cut, not like a sticker. I like that freaking spoiler though. I want one for my 98
Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

LOVE mine, the heritage colors.
Bought mine off the orig owner with all the paperwork down to the trade invoice of his 95 T/A. Recieved extra set of mats and deck mat and door decals.
Only added two mods to mine, Skip shift and SLP air lid/filter but rest is orig.
I worked at a GM dealer when these were new and I'd see them on the truck and hoope we'd get one but never did, and I couldnt afford it new then, but I knew I'd get one.
Im cuious if after all the cars ever to come by on the truck when we'd get deliveries, did I ever see mine way back when????
Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Here are some on e-bay..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 07-25-2009, 08:11 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Dan
I don't agree. the 30th T/A's were not exactly cheap in 99. They sold all 1600 of them. I just don't think the 10th Anniv Hawks were popular Come on, they sold 139 of these cars in the U.S. & Canada & you say they were Popular??? 139?
Pontiac sold 1600 30ths because Pontiac built 1600 of them. Dealers had an inventory of them for people to purchase without a hassle. I almost bought a t-top one brand new back then. Quite a few Houston area dealers had more than one sitting on the lot any given day. They were accessible and they looked unique. Everyone recognized them as the more expensive WS6, they were well regarded.

The 10th Hawk did not have this luxury. They were not accessible, and hardly any dealers would inventory ANY Firehawk period. Most Firehawks on dealer lots were custom ordered, and any of them for sale were typically orders that were backed out on by the buyers. Had there been 1600 of these black 10th Hawks built and sitting on dealer lots, they would have eventually sold them too. It was easier for them to walk a potential buyer over to a fresh black on black WS6 that was sitting on the lot and sell that instead. They built a LOT of black WS6s back then.

Hell, they managed to sell those yellow CETA cars, and they were pretty ugly to most WS6 shoppers. How many of those were built? I remember my local Pontiac contact calling me monthly with a lower price on two of his that were collecting dust for nearly 2 years.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hell, they managed to sell those yellow CETA cars, and they were pretty ugly to most WS6 shoppers. How many of those were built? I remember my local Pontiac contact calling me monthly with a lower price on two of his that were collecting dust for nearly 2 years.
Why are you always so negative toward the CE? It's still a Trans Am and the LAST official Special Edition. Why can't you say that most potential Trans Am buyers didn't think they could handle the Over-the-Top styling or the constant attention that the car would bring. Cause thats what happened when you got one.

Oh and there were 2,390 production cars built. 2,000 in the U.S. and 390 stayed in Canada or went abroad.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

The debate can go on forever. The 30th are holding value way better than the 10 Anniv. Hawks. The bid ended at $14,700 for that 26,500 mile hawk. that's pretty discouraging. A 30th with the same mileage just sold on e-bay for $10,000 more, why is that?

Last edited by Dan; 07-26-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Here is one for sale in Raleigh, NC

36K miles and wanting $18,500
http://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...ad.php?t=86134
$18,500 You have to be shitting me! I might have to look at this one!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
The debate can go on forever. The 30th are holding value way better than the 10 Anniv. Hawks. The bid ended at $14,700 for that 26,500 mile hawk. that's pretty discouraging. A 30th with the same mileage just sold on e-bay for $10,000 more, why is that?
There was also a recent 10th that SOLD for $50k.
So how about them pancakes?!?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO, all 4th gen f-body prices are in the toilet and might just stay there. Their are some that think now that Pontiac is history, the cars will go up, as much as I would love to buy into this, my luck is never that good. Drive your cars, use them and enjoy them, the stock market is in the tank too and these are no one's 401k sorry to say.
I like the 10th color scheme but the wheels would be a turn off, IMHO. Maybe with some new Year 1 gold snowflake recasts, hum?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by BANDITCAR
Why are you always so negative toward the CE? It's still a Trans Am and the LAST official Special Edition. Why can't you say that most potential Trans Am buyers didn't think they could handle the Over-the-Top styling or the constant attention that the car would bring. Cause thats what happened when you got one.
Because I'm not a fan of them. I was also still heavily involved in the LS1 scene when those came out, and am just passing on the actual memories here of how those cars were regarded. The posts were not favorable when it was newly released, mainly due to the wrong shade of yellow being used. Everyone anticipated a nicer yellow since Chevy came out with millineum yellow on the Corvette in 2000. That would have been the perfect color for the TA. The 35th Limited Edition Camaro came out the same year, and was highly regarded. Those still are more desirable than the CETA.

Truth hurts I suppose. They just used the wrong shade of yellow.

Quick Reply: 10th Ann. firehawk?