Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Firehawk Alignment Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehawk Alignment Help

Ok, the WS9 suspension is obviously worlds different than a WS6 either way there is no specs for either of the upgraded suspension packages on our Hunter Alignment machine (Hawkeye).

What specs should I set the car to >

I had it at 0.0 camber, 4.5 degrees caster and .05 degrees of toe, the tires didn't wear that good at all and all 4 separated well before 5/32nds on the stock SZ50EP's, Now that I have put new Firehawk rubber underneath her, I'd like to keep these on much longer than the last even though these lasted 9 yrs.

Tonight, I tried a bit of positive camber to which the car's suspension really woke up and said "drive me", anyone played with caster to see any results being as the caster will not wear tires.

Last edited by Transamman25; 09-07-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

Bump!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Have you contacted SLP or BMR? They might be able to answer your questions. SLP is the one who put those suspensions together. I know I had to contact both of them for something similar when I went with adjustable control arms up front.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Bump for help
Old 09-11-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Transamman25
Ok, the WS9 suspension is obviously worlds different than a WS6 either way there is no specs for either of the upgraded suspension packages on our Hunter Alignment machine (Hawkeye).
What is so different about the WS9 suspension? Adjustable coilovers?

I had it at 0.0 camber, 4.5 degrees caster and .05 degrees of toe, the tires didn't wear that good at all and all 4 separated well before 5/32nds on the stock SZ50EP's, Now that I have put new Firehawk rubber underneath her, I'd like to keep these on much longer than the last even though these lasted 9 yrs.
Thats about the same alignment readings as I have on my SS. What do you mean by the tires seperated? Did they have feathered wear, uneven wear? OR did the belts in the tires seperate? Being 9 yrs old thats possible. With your alignment readings you shouldnt wear tires, UNLESS you dont rotate them. Then they will feather & have cupped wear on the outside.
Tonight, I tried a bit of positive camber to which the car's suspension really woke up and said "drive me", anyone played with caster to see any results being as the caster will not wear tires.
More caster will give you more steering stability & quicker steering wheel return to center. Most guys that road race these cars run negative camber as much as -2.0 & get good tire life too. I dont think I would run positive camber after hearing that.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Transamman25

What year is your car? I'm guessing it's a Trans Am Firehawk and not a Formula Trans Am. Whichever one it is pick that yr and model ( formula or trans am )

Set the toe to 0 on each side, set camber at -1.2 on both sides, and set caster at +4.5-4.6 on each side.

You having the tired toed in .05 angles them in at the front and the outside of the tires will " scrub " and wear funny. The other side of that would be -.05 and will scrub the insides. 0 is where you want your toe or as close to it as you can get.

Positive camber will make the tire lean out at the top and wear the outside edges out prematurely.

+4.5 degrees of caster will help your wheels / tires to be tilted at the same angle when turning and the car will respond really well.

I've aligned my cars and set them up this way. I'm an ASE certified tech in suspension and steering and have a lot of experience and this setup works

Of course it depends on what kind of / how much driving you do but this should help

Hope this helps
Old 10-06-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

All of the SLP and ASC conversions were left at factory alignment specs. If you want a more performance alignment try some of race shops like Global West, BMR, etc.

BTW, a stock as a rock Formula or Trans Am has the exact same suspension as a WS6 with the expection of a larger rear sway bar. Everything else is the same.

WS9 just means its a V8 firebird.

Quick Reply: Firehawk Alignment Help