Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

SS Hood/Airbox Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SS Hood/Airbox Question

My father and I recently purchased a '00 SLP SS Camaro. I've noticed that his SS hood is fiberglass, and is functional with the air inlet coming through the scoop back around and aiming into the front of the airbox/lid. However, the SLP lid/airbox does not appear to have any openings/holes/etc to accommodate this cold air. Is this seem suspicious?

I used to own a '98 Trans Am with the free ram air mod, and a modified lid, so I was assuming a similar type of cutout/opening would be present to allow the air to flow into the engine.

Thanks for any tips/pictures you can provide to help explain/show me what is supposed to be there, etc.

John.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Air box and lid on LS1 SS's are no different than on the Z28's (unless you got the SLP 345hp option in 2002). The WS6's did have a larger opening on the lower air box and what the Camaros had.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

The opening is at the front of the airbox at the bottom, between the airbox and the rad support. On the SS cars, you will just be able to fit your fingers underneath the airbox where the hood directs the air. As said the WS6's have a larger gap and a more efficient hood design.

That said, the ram air offers little to no performance gain at all. It has been debated here over and over, but the reality is that a Z28 will run just as hard as an SS.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
The opening is at the front of the airbox at the bottom, between the airbox and the rad support. On the SS cars, you will just be able to fit your fingers underneath the airbox where the hood directs the air. As said the WS6's have a larger gap and a more efficient hood design.

That said, the ram air offers little to no performance gain at all. It has been debated here over and over, but the reality is that a Z28 will run just as hard as an SS.
Yup, this would be correct.

It does however look cool
Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
Yup, this would be correct.

It does however look cool
that is does

Quick Reply: SS Hood/Airbox Question