Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

How rare is my 98 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How rare is my 98 SS?

Lately, I have been extremely curious how many other camaros are out there, with the exact same options as mine. Is there a way to find out? I have not seen another camaro with the exact same options as mine. I know that in 1998, there were 238 Navy Blue Metallic SS coupes made, but not sure how many of those have the same options as mine. I would appriciate any info that anyone could give me about this. Below is a list of my options:

1998 SS (SLP build # in sig.)
Navy Blue Metallic
6 spd.
Cloth interior ( I think it is a cream color)
T-tops
Power windows/locks/drivers seat
NO traction control
I dont think it had the upgraded stereo system
No SLP additional options
Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there was a site but i forgot the name of it, found out mine was 1 of 3 with the options it has, pretty cool but in no way do i think its rare , honest i think the only rare nbm are ones with the white leather,white leather was a pretty rare, cool to know but doesnt mean jack lol
Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Yah, I know that the NBM SS's with the white leather were really rare. And I also realize that how rare my car is really doesn't mean jack....but, just like you said, cool to know, and I would really like to know. If you remember the name of that site, please let me know!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i will let ya know, it has been said on this site a few times, i think the site might of got shut down for some reason
Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

CompNine.com used to host a database similar to (if not the same as) GM's VIS. You could enter your VIN# and it would list all the RPOs on your car, and also the number of cars built with the exact same RPOs (down to the paint color on the tire jack....... j/k). Since one of the RPOs assigned to each car indicated the production week, almost all cars were shown as "1 of 2" or so, and this statistic was pretty useless since it would not have included cars with the exact same RPOs built during the rest of the model year's production run.

However, they did also have a GUI that allowed you to choose a year, model and body type and enter as many RPOs as you'd like and it would return the number of cars in the data base that matched. I used this feature extensively to generate the breakdowns linked in my sig. However, the number of combinations and permutations grows rapidly as you expand the RPO sequences searched, and practicality limits forces you to draw the line somewhere: you can get breakdown detail only so far before you get to the point where it is just easier to look up specific combinations.

Unfortunately, CompNine went offline some time ago, and I have yet to locate an equivalent online, free database (like GM's VIS). that offers access to the information you desire. While CompNine's database was not flawless (it was missing significant numbers of 2001 and 2002 MY f-bodies) one thing that they DID prove was, it is possible to create a GUI query system to provide the RPO combination information from which to create about any kind of breakdown one desires. Too bad someone can't do the same thing for GM's VIS database (the "holy grail" of GM production information) and provide it to the public. For FREE (hint hint).
Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 98blueSS420
Lately, I have been extremely curious how many other camaros are out there, with the exact same options as mine. Is there a way to find out? I have not seen another camaro with the exact same options as mine. I know that in 1998, there were 238 Navy Blue Metallic SS coupes made, but not sure how many of those have the same options as mine. I would appriciate any info that anyone could give me about this. Below is a list of my options:

1998 SS (SLP build # in sig.)
Navy Blue Metallic
6 spd.
Cloth interior ( I think it is a cream color)
T-tops
Power windows/locks/drivers seat
NO traction control
I dont think it had the upgraded stereo system
No SLP additional options
Oh, BTW, CompNine's data indicates there were 249 NBM SS Coupes built in '98, 161 of those had M6. Only 35 SS coupes w/ M6 (of all colors) had the taupe cloth interior (RPO 52B/52C), not sure how many of those were NBM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the good info!!! I agree, it would be really nice if someone was to develop a website similar to compnine's former site !

Quick Reply: How rare is my 98 SS?