Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

2002 WS6 Compared To 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ram-it
From the dealer GMHTP mag posted better numbers with a 99 FCR vette at 12.66 secs and 99 Z28 at 12.89 sec. No one has done better with a STOCK Cobra. That means not even a damn tire pressure change was done. Hell, Hot Rod magazine barely beat a WRX STI with a Cobra a couple of issues ago. I can't believe how everyone seems to give up the farm and cave in on all this BS. Any car can be made fast. As they came from the factory it will come down to drivers period.
bone stock with nothign done, no tire pressure drop, no iced intake, no air silencer removed... 12.89.... yeah and then, john wayne came back to life to show us how its done, micheal jackson became straight, the world was right and we didnt hate each other, chevy and ford shook hands, and female infants were born with *********..... people like you disgust me... Car and driver or C&D = chevy and dodge, they always hate ford, they talk **** on everything ford does, yet ford out sells erbody er year... ahhh
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Throw your $1500 worth of mods on & Bring It. The only Mustangs I know of that can hang with or out-handle f-bodies say Saleen on them....and they all cost $60k or better. Sorry, but Mustangs handle like $hit in comparison.
HA!!!
we gots that mystic 96 cobra i was talkin about earlier, and its even solid axle, its got eibach pro kit, tokico 5-way adjustables, urethane bushings, STOCK control arms, steeda caster/cambers, and NT555 tires, and it is straight up glued to the pavement... dude ive riddin in your blessed camaros and T/As... they arent anything that can even compete with what i listed above... now on an IRS car and 1500 worth of maximum motorsports, way more torque down low and even hp on top... how do you stand a chance... it just doesnt make sense... thats cuz it will never happen... of course unless you let me drive the cobra... then you would prolly win for sure... i have next to no experience on the twisty tracks, just around town stuff like exits, and i know a lil bit about transferring weight to the front at the last second before approaching a turn and straightening out the curves as best you can, but thats about it... i donno id have an unfair advantage in the car im drivin vs. a stock TA... hell even go mod it... there is a reason the steeda cars roush etc chose the mustang... and there is also a reason they win year after year... once again.. get real oh btw... steeda pretty much copies MM, but sometimes they skimp and dont make their products as good as MM... the good news is, it will be allt he more fun for the cobra guy to blow past you and spank you into submission, especially since you thought youd lay a whoopin to it... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Teching In

man i hope the new stang takes a lesson from your backseats tho, they are heaven compared to the back of astang... sheesh, i also like your front seats better too, but my friend with the ram air likes the cobra seats better... i dont get it maybe the grass is just greener on the other side... even if that wer the case i still hate the 6ft dashboard in the TAs
Old 05-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Teching In

oh yeah one more thing.. sorry i needa stop showing my sig, it makes for a long thread, anyway, no need to "get into it" just present the facts and dont throw in BS, and no need to get into it then... opinions are like ********, we all have em... nothing wrong with voicing them
Old 05-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Dude you need to leave, you're a freakin troll, go back to Corralnet where you belong. I could sit here and state how ALOT of what you say is BS, but its not worth the time. You bring nothing to this topic except a bunch of messed up logic (if you call it that) and bashing.

So just let us sit here in our ignorant bliss thinking we have fast cars and know what the **** we're talking about and you can go on being the intelligent well spoken authority on fast automobiles elsewhere

Peace,

The idiot who drives and LS1 when there is such an obvious superior car out there, put can't admit it to himself
why do die hard chevy people have so much pride... you cant stand to freakin lose, no matter what, i am no troll, a friend sent this to me, in fact a friend with an 01 Z28 and this blessed ls1, cuz he knew i knew my shat when it came to cobras, and people on this thread were hollering for info, i presented you with in fo, none of which is bs about the stangs, or even the capability of your engines either, but im not gonna blow sunshine up your *** and tellyou your ls1 can hang with the cobra motor as hp increases, or even car vs car... cuz it just will never happen... not to rain on your parade or throw down a party foul, but i like bein here, ive browsed around some of the other areas of this site and am learning... like i said im a fanatical researcher... the only "bashing" is the confirmation that bolt on for bolt on, what chevy soldyou just cant hang... so take your own advice and go be happy and pretend you know and all that stuff, since you wont just accept truth... for the record, it upsets me that i have pissed yall off so bad, i donno what i expected chevy vs. ford and this time the ford actually was better (factory) as ford didnt make affordable cars to touch you a few years ago... but its only right that i apologize if i pushed any of your buttons so deep that your face turned red when you read this... it was all in fun for me... so like dont take it so hard... but i dont plan on leavin... ill grow on you
Old 05-20-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude you haven't presented ANY facts, all you've been voicing is opinions and talking smack you can't back up since you don't EVEN freakin OWN the car you are talking about.

I have NO problem talking about the pluses and minuses of Cobra or WS6, or a Freakin 850csi for that matter. But you are a brick wall who KNOWS NOTHING about the other side. How can you form an educated opinion without knowing both sides. Nowhere have I called BS on something I DON"T KNOW about (Except your completely reliable 600-700rwhp YEAH RIGHT).

But you have said people are on drugs, that they are crazy, and you have no idea the potential of the other side. There are cars with home ported heads, mild cams, converters running 10's consistently on this site. You add a 75 shot of Nitrous hmmm. They have been doing it ever weekend on the same shortblock for 3 years. Does that make them better than a Cobra bang for buck?

You are just running your mouth and gotten this way off topic in your mind the Cobra and Stang for that matter is the end all of Performance that is not a disscussion. So why come to an LS1 board with that crap other than to "get into it" What do you expect. This is the kinda crap I see on Corral net when I had my 87 Saleen.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Teching In

of course unless you built the LS1 to take more power... then the cobra would fall short... no substitue for cubes
Old 05-20-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

The name of this thread is " 2002 WS6 Compared To 03 Cobra" . And from a road racers point of view , this is how it shakes out.

The LS1 is light, physically small, and much more efficient than the 4.6. It's true that a cast iron block 4.6 with forged internals and a blower can outrun it in a straight line $ for $ ,but on a road course an fbody has a definite advantage.

A mustangs suspension is a 30 year old design. When mustang owners get serious about road racing the 1st thing they do is install a rear suspension that's identical to an fbody's. Also the Cobra might have IRS, but it's the poorest example of IRS to ever hit the streets and with a cast iron block and blower sitting over the nose it's a farm implement for making furrows when it comes to corners. I've been passed at one time or another by just about every car out there, but never by a mustang. Anybody who thinks they're gonna pass me in a factory suspended 'Stang on a road course better either go by the name of Mario or come prepared to go home in a *****y mood

The Cobra has a great street/drag race motor, but it is too heavy and especially nose heavy to take seriously road racing. The regular 'Stangs are fairly light, but with that huge 4.6 which is much heavier than the LS1, they also are very nose heavy + you have to rev the crap out of them to get any power out of them. They make no low/mid range power at all.

IMO the car of the century is a 4th gen fbody. Take one from the factory and put shocks and springs on it and kick major *** on the road course, run low 13's at the drag strip, and get 26-27 mpg on the freeway. Throw the proper h/c setup on it and make 450 rwhp in a street friendly, road course warrior package. Throw some good rods and pistons in it( the stock LS1 crankshaft is good for well over 600 rwhp BTW ), add a 150-250 shot to it, tune carefully and you have your reliable 600+ hp LS1 for cheap. Lifted heads are caused by detonation, like I said you have to tune carefully. The 'Stang does none of these things. The Cobra does 1 of these things. If your a drag racer only maybe the Cobra is a better choice ??
Old 05-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Teching In

no facts??? how so?? i presented you with a link to dynos, and told you what the numbers were for certain combos and how much is needed to make a given number etc. all facts.. dont believe em... and a car i dont own?? dude im 18... where am i gonna get the scrilla to get an 03? and with my current capabilities.. Why the falk would i spend 36K for a high 12 sec car... when ive just build a 10 sec car for under 10K...including the car.. in fact it should tally to around 9K when all is said and done with tranny rear etc. i still got 27K to spend... im not a newb gettin into the mix buyin somethin that is already hotrodded... i can do it myself... from nothing
Old 05-20-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL I'm not red I just think what you say is BS there is a difference. I take that back its not what you say is BS its that your so freakin Narrow minded in your statements. You may know your **** with Fords so what. I have not bad mouthed the Cobra once in my statements and if I did I didn't mean to, the only bashing in this thread has been on the LS1 which I don't think is blessed. I think its a nice car bang for buck and because of my PAST experiences I trust it and think it is a better car than Ford makes. NOT TO MENTION WTF is Ford thinking with the freaking shifter placement in there cars??? Half Honda civic have alfa romeo.. Thats the only bad thing I can say about them really.

But your theories on modding and racing cars is crazy, and you are bashing and stirring up crap and you know it. Glad you like our site and maybe you'll be like most of the mustang guys I know and recognize a fast car is a fast car no matter what badge it has on the back.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Racehead
IMO the car of the century is a 4th gen fbody. Take one from the factory and put shocks and springs on it and kick major *** on the road course, run low 13's at the drag strip, and get 26-27 mpg on the freeway. Throw the proper h/c setup on it and make 450 rwhp in a street friendly, road course warrior package. Throw some good rods and pistons in it( the stock LS1 crankshaft is good for well over 600 rwhp BTW ), add a 150-250 shot to it, tune carefully and you have your reliable 600+ hp LS1 for cheap. Lifted heads are caused by detonation, like I said you have to tune carefully. The 'Stang does none of these things. The Cobra does 1 of these things. If your a drag racer only maybe the Cobra is a better choice ??
thank the lord for a civil post... anyway granted you have made some outstanding points about weight over the nose etc. and yes the cobra is a bit of a hog now with that iron block... but we are talking 75 lbs difference here fella, and you obviously know your shat cuz the ls1 car build direction you spoke of is about as badass as you can get on the street for the least amount of cash... now, i said with 1500 worth of maximum motorsports vs. the stock TA which is what the other feller was hollerin about, thoi know neither of our brakes can take the kind of performance your talking about when it comes to worrying about 75 lbs over the nose... and that IRS on the road course (no first hand experience) is supposed to put the solid axle back where it belongs... on cost effective autos and at the dragstrip... i guess the only way to settle it would be to run em... but that is impossible... and you said no torque and rev the crap outta em... no way man, the 03 has about the same powerband as your ls1... shift at like 62-6300 in factory form... the blown ones arent the high winding mills like the previous cobras... and the torque is 50 away from the peak by 1900 RPM... id say thats low end torque... 300 ft lbs at 1900 RPM on the stock slobra... heh... and to mr wicked, the guys that do all the garage porting and all that... heh thats me, i dont have enough money to mail order go fast parts, so i have to get what has potential and make it my own... so far so good, and learnin more er day
Old 05-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1

But your theories on modding and racing cars is crazy, and you are bashing and stirring up crap and you know it. Glad you like our site and maybe you'll be like most of the mustang guys I know and recognize a fast car is a fast car no matter what badge it has on the back.
my theories arent too far off... im whippin people's asses that have twice the money in their rides... and im half their age, and like i said i like ls1s, ta's and camaros, especially the TAs, the newer ones have always been a car that i think is just flat out dead sexy... and to some extent you are correct, i have dealt some bashing to the ls1... it was done out of frustration but in hindsight as i mentioned earlier, i apologize and dont mean any of the bashing, however, i do think it fair i point out some of the shortcomings that even other ls1 owners have pointed out... when i meet some of the faster fellas on the street, chevy, or ford, i make friends and its no biggy, usually its actually the chevy guys on the offensive, and im defending my ford... it seems like i deal out compliments to the GM, and the GM following deals me fight starters... but thats just the way it is... granted being in the south and being 20 minutes from the nearest redneck town doesnt help... ok to the point, some of this "bashing" is truly unintentional, im sure you will understand, im still workin on my people skills
Old 05-20-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah IRS makes all the difference on a road course... where do you learn about your cars, from a magazine? Come on man... a 7 series BMW has an IRS, doesn't make it a road course champ and it certainly would get its *** handed to it by a solid rear axle LS1. But yeah, an IRS automatically makes any car a world class competition handler. I guess the new GTO will take an F-body on the road course too...

Tell you what... how about you learn something that WASN'T from magazines and is more from your real life experience (yes I know, all 16 years of it) and then tell us about it.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:57 AM
Teching In

if a brand new WS6 is really 24K then hell its a hands down winner... but that wasnt the going rate... and as far as engines go, the ford is ahead in tech, but chevy has massaged over a tried and true design and made it into something of an art... the most advanced pushrod engine on the planet probably... but there is more to be had, as for platform for haulin *** WS6 vs. cobra... i guess it can be called close... the only thing the cobra has in its favor, is it is easier to mod, both have weaknesses... and ive never noticed a bit problem with shifter location... i guess thats just what i was given, so i thought it normal... heh that custom bent rod i got shiftin that tremec 3550 in my truck suits me just fine at least
Old 05-20-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Veteran

How many times do I have to tell you, I got my Z28 for 24k. News flash buddy... Z28s and WS6s are THE SAME CAR. One's a Pontiac, one's a Chevrolet. What's your hangup about the WS6 vs. Cobra? How about F-body vs. Cobra?

And Ford is not ahead in tech... and don't use the same tired argument that the ricers use about DOHC. DOHC has been around at least as long as pushrod technology has, if you have to, look that up because it is true believe it or not. The LS1 is extremely advanced... an all aluminum block that weighs barely more than a comparable 4 cylinder engine. Guess what? Looks like Ford took a lesson from that... they're finally coming out with an all aluminum engine in the new Mustangs. I guess they're taking a step backward too compared to the '03 Cobra...
Old 05-20-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by whppdyomnkyazz
thank the lord for a civil post... anyway granted you have made some outstanding points about weight over the nose etc. and yes the cobra is a bit of a hog now with that iron block... but we are talking 75 lbs difference here fella, and you obviously know your shat cuz the ls1 car build direction you spoke of is about as badass as you can get on the street for the least amount of cash... now, i said with 1500 worth of maximum motorsports vs. the stock TA which is what the other feller was hollerin about, thoi know neither of our brakes can take the kind of performance your talking about when it comes to worrying about 75 lbs over the nose... and that IRS on the road course (no first hand experience) is supposed to put the solid axle back where it belongs... on cost effective autos and at the dragstrip... i guess the only way to settle it would be to run em... but that is impossible... and you said no torque and rev the crap outta em... no way man, the 03 has about the same powerband as your ls1... shift at like 62-6300 in factory form... the blown ones arent the high winding mills like the previous cobras... and the torque is 50 away from the peak by 1900 RPM... id say thats low end torque... 300 ft lbs at 1900 RPM on the stock slobra... heh... and to mr wicked, the guys that do all the garage porting and all that... heh thats me, i dont have enough money to mail order go fast parts, so i have to get what has potential and make it my own... so far so good, and learnin more er day
I guess I could've been clearer in my post. When I said no low and mid range torque I was referring to the n/a 4.6 . Any engine with a positive displacement blower HAS low end torque. That's just the way it is. And your 75 lb statement refers to what the cobra motor weighs over the n/a. The Cobra motor weighs about 140 lbs more than an LS1.

Also a little real world info for you

1) unless the road course is very bumpy an IRS suspension has NO advantages over a live axle and in fact has some very glaring disadvantages. Try trail braking with IRS Especially the Cobra IRS. hint hint having your rear wheel camber settings go to extreme positive when you let off the throttle can ruin your day.

2) Even if the track is bumpy, unless it's bumpy on the corner entrance it's not going to hamper the fbody guy much. If it's bumpy on corner entrance then the fbody guy might be in for a long day especially on a down hill where not much weight is on the rear tires. Also in the rain the IRS shines over a live axle.

I home ported my BBC heads in my '71. I think I did OK with them, but if the new AFR's are as good as they say for the LS1's I may have to get a 2nd job
Old 05-20-2004, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Yeah IRS makes all the difference on a road course... where do you learn about your cars, from a magazine? Come on man... a 7 series BMW has an IRS, doesn't make it a road course champ and it certainly would get its *** handed to it by a solid rear axle LS1. But yeah, an IRS automatically makes any car a world class competition handler. I guess the new GTO will take an F-body on the road course too...

Tell you what... how about you learn something that WASN'T from magazines and is more from your real life experience (yes I know, all 16 years of it) and then tell us about it.
thems is fightin words... no on second thought, just plain dumb ones... sad my 16 years of working memory is actually nothing to scoff at... i read magazines, i research online, i read books, i talk to people... its just an overall gathering of knowledge... no of course the IRS does not make it a world class handler.. my point being... that the regualr stang with 700bucks worth of bolt on stuff handles like its on rails for a street car, and thats with the solid axle, so i only gathered that an IRS with similar prep would be even better... in fact testing shows much better... and the new cobras dont come on tires made for sticking in a turn either... so basically it doesnt take much to turn it into your world class handler... especially one that can keep up with a stock TA... you needa read all the posts next time, you wont look so foolish.. and come on, an attack on my age... woopty do... you reached for the only tool you had in the box on that one... kind like in the movies when some girl's boyfriend is gettin his *** whooped and she jumps on like hulk hogan's back and starts slappin him and pullin his hair and ****... her efforts are about as effective as your little put down... grow up
Old 05-20-2004, 01:18 AM
Teching In

wicked TA, glad you accept my apologie, tho im not sure where i went wrong talkin about the stang... there are those that know more... but good luck gettin them with enough time to post here... and like i said im not sure where the BS came in...

racehead, ive installed two sets of AFR heads now (ford), and i must say the quality is outrageous (good), so i guess they are still figurin out how to get more air in and out, my skills arent up to what a cnc machine can do.. not just yet at least... but through a few sources and countless hours... they are proving to be impressive.. even to me... i surprise myself all the time.. and i wasnt aware of all this trail braking camber stuff... that is something i dont know that i would love to, suspension geometry... i made a 3 link for my truck... but thats backwoods crap... thats simple... aside from bolting on parts and what a few of the certain parts will do on a stang, i really dont know much in that area, but like i said, im interested, so its only a matter of time, and again thank you for the somewhat civilized posts... razor needs a lesson
Old 05-20-2004, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
How many times do I have to tell you, I got my Z28 for 24k. News flash buddy... Z28s and WS6s are THE SAME CAR. One's a Pontiac, one's a Chevrolet. What's your hangup about the WS6 vs. Cobra? How about F-body vs. Cobra?

And Ford is not ahead in tech... and don't use the same tired argument that the ricers use about DOHC. DOHC has been around at least as long as pushrod technology has, if you have to, look that up because it is true believe it or not. The LS1 is extremely advanced... an all aluminum block that weighs barely more than a comparable 4 cylinder engine. Guess what? Looks like Ford took a lesson from that... they're finally coming out with an all aluminum engine in the new Mustangs. I guess they're taking a step backward too compared to the '03 Cobra...
finally coming out with all aluminum engine??? where have you been??? ford took a lesson from what? they have been makin all aluminum stang engines since 96... in the cobras at least... man and you guys point the finger and say i dont know my stuff??? the ls1 came out in.... i wanna say 98??? so ford was first??? imagine that... ford was first... first automobile (production and affordable), all kinds of other innovations... ford invented the muscle car... sheesh... my hangup about the ws6 is that is what the thread originated from... thats what the whole sharing of opinions is about... once again read it all and you wont look like such a fool... and DOHC in a domestic v-8 performance car is brand new pal... and no ohc engines have not been around since pushrod engines... and you question where i get my info... man it is hard to holdback, you open yourself up to all sorts of cut downs

and to mr wicked i guess for the last time, if i wasnt so hard headed i woulda left long ago too... and i dont know what the F that is supposed to mean.. ive only made two other posts that i know of, and i saidi good things about chebys... so i dun get it
Old 05-20-2004, 01:37 AM
Teching In

yeah the GTs aredogs till 99.. not the cobras... the cobras were the only ones with the aluminum block... ford didnt put it into the same mass production status as the LS1 aluminum block, but it was available to cobra owners... the cobras changed intakes and heads in 99(slight variations in same basic design)... but really the power was the same... just fancier stuff, in fact the 96-98 heads flow a lil bit better, (less than 10 cfm), but when ported the 96-98 heads really run off and leave the newer ones... not sure about the 03 flow numbers as of yet... the 96-98 cars made 305 hp and 315 tq i believe off the floor bone stock... so the 96 cobras arent dogs compared to the newer ones by any means...(sans 03-04) you can go quietly, but i really dont understand, i posted something positive about a chevy in every post ive made outside of this thread

Quick Reply: 2002 WS6 Compared To 03 Cobra