Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

99 HighWay Patrol Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 99 HighWay Patrol Z28

Ok, I'm at this car show Saturday and a dude in a 99 White Camaro is there, he says it was a Highway Patrol car. Ok,I believe that, no problem, it had the options on the inside of the door. He then is telling everyone that it has a Z06 engine in it and has around 370 rwhp. Oh, it was a 6spd, and he said he ran it up to 103mph in 2nd, is that even possible? So, I take a peep at the engine, and it looks exactly like my 00 TA, except I have LTs and Lid+bellows with no baffles. He still had the old LS1 intake manifold complete with EGR tube. I know that they make an LS6 Intake with EGR and all that stuff, but no Z06s had the EGR tube, correct? Anyway he said he just got it and hasn't modded it yet, I saw no mods at all. Stock intake lid with baffles and stock exhaust.
Does anyone know how the Highway Patrol cars were optioned? From what I've read they were bone stock.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah they are bone stock. i have to call
Old 06-21-2004, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you mean by optioned. From '99 on (maybe '98, but I'm not sure about that year),Highway patrols could buy Z28s and run them for their fleets, or they could go the usual route and buy the less expensive B4C Camaros. The B4Cs were debadged Z28s with a color matched top (not black like the Zs), and slightly different option packages. You couldn't get T-tops for the B4C, but you could get about everything else. From the factory, the only real difference between the Z and the B4C was the B4C had the lower control arms from the 1LE package, and power steering cooler (also standard on the later LS1 Zs). Same engine, same programming, same bad brakes, etc. There were a number of B4Cs made with the M6 transmission.

In 2002, GMMG modified a number of B4Cs by adding the LS6 engine, and selling them as limited production ZL1s. The only way any Highway Patrol Camaro got an LS6 engine (not an LS6 block, like a lot of the later cars got) would be if someone stuck it in after leaving the factory.

The guy at the car show just bought a fast car, and is a little confused. Hopefully someone points him to this site so that he can learn a bit before his next car show.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HighWay Partrol Z28

It actually was a B4C optioned Z28, all white, white top, no badges. I just noticed the engine looked stock, right down to the EGR tube. I didn't think any Z06 engines ever had the EGR tube from the factory. I didn't say anything to him, b/c he was pretty cool and people seemed in awe of his Z06 engined Patrol car + I didn't want to seem like a smart @55. I figured he was a little mis-informed. When he left it seemed pretty fast, he floored it and was gone. I would have beat him silly though.

Quick Reply: 99 HighWay Patrol Z28