Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

NHRA 2001 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHRA 2001 Build

Hello- I recently purchased a 2001 black t-top m6 with 45k miles.

From what I have read there were 153 in total NHRA editions built that year.

I am trying to find the breakdown further on specific combinations to see how rare this one could be.

can anyone kindly share a link to find this? I saw someone posted years ago about 2002 breakdown but nothing for 2001.

Last edited by NHRA Trans Am Guy; 03-17-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Per CompNine's database (*), in 2001, the factory produced 137 V8 Firebirds w/ the 1SH NHRA appearance package:

Formula: 24
Trans-Am Coupe: 97
Trans-Am 'Vert: 16

I did not break these down further by color or other options.

I should note that several dealers offered the NHRA decals for new buyers, so these would not have the 1SH RPO and are not included in the above numbers. I recall a sticky thread on here years ago where someone was keeping closer track of the NHRA cars, so some searching may reveal some more detail. The only "performance" option that was included w/ 1SH was the 3.23 rear on A4 cars.

(*) Comp-Nine's database is missing 36 Formulas, 396 T/A coupes and 77 T/A 'Verts from their 2001 database compared to another source I've found, so it is possible the numbers quoted above are on the low side.

Links to breakdowns are in my sig.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 03-17-2023 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (03-18-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
I should note that several dealers offered the NHRA decals for new buyers, so these would not have the 1SH RPO and are not included in the above numbers.
This is an excellent point and should be highlighted.

There is someone who frequents my car show circuit with an SOM WS6 Trans Am, and he is unfortunately convinced that his car is a factory original NHRA WS6 car. This is impossible, as the 1SH package found on NHRA examples requires the P05 16" chrome wheels - and that option is unavailable with WS6 (which obviously includes 17" wheels/tires). So what he actually has is a WS6 car to which his dealer added NHRA decals at his request (he claims to be the original owner, says he ordered it as an NHRA WS6, but we all know that is not possible).

So, clearly there were dealers putting these things on at the request of folks who really wanted an NHRA package on a WS6 car. I guess, in the case I mentioned above, the dealer wasn't exactly clear about the fact that it technically was not a factory creation at that point - just a dealer add-on in his case.
NC01TA (03-18-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the information. I confirmed the build in the door jam sticker to identify the NHRA option.

The car has a WS6 hood. I am sure someone added that later because I don’t think that was an option for NHRA model?
Old 03-17-2023, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NHRA Trans Am Guy
The car has a WS6 hood. I am sure someone added that later because I don’t think that was an option for NHRA model?
Definitely not factory; that hood was only available as part of the WS6 package, not separately or as part of any other package.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

@NHRA Trans Am Guyplease post some photos when you get the opportunity.
May i ask what you paid for yours? Of course it's none of our business if you don't want to say but we do like hearing real world prices for our own info. Thanks! Enjoy your ride!
Old 09-29-2023, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

never knew they made an NHRA edition i'd like to see pics of that
Old 01-12-2024, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is an excellent point and should be highlighted.

There is someone who frequents my car show circuit with an SOM WS6 Trans Am, and he is unfortunately convinced that his car is a factory original NHRA WS6 car. This is impossible, as the 1SH package found on NHRA examples requires the P05 16" chrome wheels - and that option is unavailable with WS6 (which obviously includes 17" wheels/tires). So what he actually has is a WS6 car to which his dealer added NHRA decals at his request (he claims to be the original owner, says he ordered it as an NHRA WS6, but we all know that is not possible).

So, clearly there were dealers putting these things on at the request of folks who really wanted an NHRA package on a WS6 car. I guess, in the case I mentioned above, the dealer wasn't exactly clear about the fact that it technically was not a factory creation at that point - just a dealer add-on in his case.
haha i know that guy you're referring to..took this picture 14 years ago. I think I saw a video on youtube about this specific car, someone did a showcase walk around video on it. This was the only NHRA badge on it, was missing the sail panel flags and fender badge..so obviously either he stuck it on there or the dealer did.

Old 01-12-2024, 05:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BFK86
haha i know that guy you're referring to..took this picture 14 years ago. I think I saw a video on youtube about this specific car, someone did a showcase walk around video on it. This was the only NHRA badge on it, was missing the sail panel flags and fender badge..so obviously either he stuck it on there or the dealer did.

Yep, I'm pretty sure his name was Mike. I say "was" because some mutual friends told me that he died in '22 or early '23, but my understanding is that he had already sold the SOM WS6 before passing. Not sure what happened, he wasn't that old and not ill as far as anybody knew...but sometimes it's just a surprise like that. In fact, a local friend of mine just died on Tuesday, he was a car guy and original Schiller Parker but lived in WI most recently. He had a white LSX454 Procharged Suburban, made just under 1000hp, I think it was an '08, not sure if you ever saw it around the area. He would've been 55 this year...way too young.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Yep, I'm pretty sure his name was Mike. I say "was" because some mutual friends told me that he died in '22 or early '23, but my understanding is that he had already sold the SOM WS6 before passing. Not sure what happened, he wasn't that old and not ill as far as anybody knew...but sometimes it's just a surprise like that. In fact, a local friend of mine just died on Tuesday, he was a car guy and original Schiller Parker but lived in WI most recently. He had a white LSX454 Procharged Suburban, made just under 1000hp, I think it was an '08, not sure if you ever saw it around the area. He would've been 55 this year...way too young.
Oh wow that sucks, I remember seeing him at some shows and yeah he wasn't that old. I think he had a 2nd gen trans am also from what I remember. But I don't think I've seen that suburban you're referring to, I'd definitely remember that if I did, but sorry to hear about your friend passing.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BFK86
But I don't think I've seen that suburban you're referring to, I'd definitely remember that if I did, but sorry to hear about your friend passing.
Thank you, he will be missed by many. We had the service for him on Monday, at that church at Irving Park & Atlantic just east of Anthony Manna's shop. Lots of folks showed up for this, and I found out we had some friends in common that I didn't even know about. Seems like we're all just one or two people away from knowing everyone in the local car community...it's a small world.
BFK86 (01-20-2024)

Quick Reply: NHRA 2001 Build