Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

phase II berger

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=GETGONE]Regular Bergers did not get the Phase III 427 motor. ZL1, Hot Rod and Dick Harrell cars were the only ones that could be had with the optional 427./QUOTE]

Not quite.............!..........!..........!

The 02 ZL1 cars were the first with 427 motors standard. Getting it in any other GMMG car was optional. at the time. .

If you now have the $$, I'am sure Matt M. will drop a C5 based ZO6 race motor in .But it must be a original GMMG car sold thru a approved Chevy dealer.

How deep are your pockets?

!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:56 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Actually the standard engine in the ZL-1 was the LS6 engine. Mine is on an engine stand. When Matt found out people like me were going to have them delivered to Lingenfelter, MTI, LWA etc. he found a way to offer the C5R blocked (GM insisted on that block) 427 so they wouldn't be known as GMMG/whoever supercars.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by grb
Actually the standard engine in the ZL-1 was the LS6 engine. Mine is on an engine stand. When Matt found out people like me were going to have them delivered to Lingenfelter, MTI, LWA etc. he found a way to offer the C5R blocked (GM insisted on that block) 427 so they wouldn't be known as GMMG/whoever supercars.
Yep.......your right. My mistake. Thanks for your knowledgable reply>
Old 09-20-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, back to the original question, a Phase II consisted of performance upgrades including a cam, heads, headers, & pulley. But nobody knows the specifics of these upgrades? Like for example, a hotcam, LS6 heads, Hooker headers or whatever....?
Old 09-21-2005, 12:51 AM
NEW
Staging Lane

My car had Hooker Ceramic Coated Headers, the cam specs i dunno. I seem to remember that they did head work on the cars as well, but am not sure anymore, (if it was just rumours or facts.)Dynoed to 405 RWHP. Am in the process of tearing everything out now, and installing a completely new GMMG built drivetrain, which will be very very badass.

NEW
Hot Rod ed. Coupe, 6 sp.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:27 AM
Banned

Isn't the C5r block a dry sump?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

No. That was an early rumor though. The LS7 is dry sump.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by shudog
So, back to the original question, a Phase II consisted of performance upgrades including a cam, heads, headers, & pulley. But nobody knows the specifics of these upgrades? Like for example, a hotcam, LS6 heads, Hooker headers or whatever....?
Original Phase 2

Cam - do not know specifics.
Heads - ported & polished LS1 heads with 10.5:1 (I beleive)
Headers - Ceramic coated TTS long tubes with HP cats and "Y"
Pulley(s) - ASP underdrives on crank and alternator
Air Box - Whisper CF lid
MAF - Whisper black MAF ends
TB - Ported and polished
Computer - Custom Tuned
Exhaust - GMMG Chambered

Underated at 435hp / 410 Torque at the crank.

Phase 2's have dyno'ed at 416 hp at the rear wheels.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Looking back I realize the Phase II is plenty. Much more power is simply not usable on the street. Not to mention scary!
Old 09-21-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

grb...................

Does your ZL1 have unique numbers stamped on the engine Block which ID it to the car? For example:

GMMG
xxxxxx..........Engine built date
ZL1 xx..........Car sequence number

Seems Matt stamped all the original motors matching them to the particular car.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x-sta z28 are u looking into adopting cause i would sooo wanna be ur child just to get my hands on those beautiful cars of yours
Old 09-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Matt and the boys are pretty secretive about cam specs. Ron told me it was due to people second guessing the specs. Then a customer might want a different bump stick and insist on a different rocker ratio..etc... you get the drift.

BTW,
The Phase III C5R 600hp option was also available for the Performance Edition Z4C Anniversary cars. Matt himself built the first on a vert...the last Z4C vert GM built became #50 (the last number of this project) with a PIII package. It was on display at the Fbody Gathering 2003 in Bowling Green KY.

There are about 10 427 C5R equipped PE cars, including mine.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:31 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

No, but the engine I have on a stand does. My car is #51 which is the number of the first ZL-1 given by GM to a racer. That racer was Lamar Walden who built my engine and is identified as a LWA engine. I'd like to have the bookend #51 to go with it but when those cars started going for $300+ they became too expensive toys.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Weren't the performance edition cars only LE's? I saw a light blue Berger from NJ with the 35th Performance Edition badges and a 500HP sticker on the hood at the Berger Chevy show a couple weeks ago.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by grb
No, but the engine I have on a stand does. My car is #51 which is the number of the first ZL-1 given by GM to a racer. That racer was Lamar Walden who built my engine and is identified as a LWA engine. I'd like to have the bookend #51 to go with it but when those cars started going for $300+ they became too expensive toys.
Thats so cool! Great story, and great car!!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GETGONE
Weren't the performance edition cars only LE's? I saw a light blue Berger from NJ with the 35th Performance Edition badges and a 500HP sticker on the hood at the Berger Chevy show a couple weeks ago.

No. Although that was the original intention. But , when the project stalled (lack of interested Z4C owners) other 02 SS owners were quick to use the "All 2002 Camaros are 35th Anniversary cars" arguement to secure a number. The car you saw belongs to Jerry Noonan's son. Jerry has more GMMG cars then anyone else I know. And he is the last man still holding a number for another PE. This time he is looking for a true Z4C vert...and if I know JN, he'll pick a PIII package.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by grb
No, but the engine I have on a stand does. My car is #51 which is the number of the first ZL-1 given by GM to a racer.
I Doubt it................................................ ..........

Show original documentation please.......................
Old 09-22-2005, 10:06 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Are you kidding? My documentation or Lamar's? Both are easily verifiable.
For info on Lamar's ZL-1 #51 you can google a ZL-1 registry or simply go to the Supercar/Yenko forums and search or ask the question. Those guys know who had every car when it was new and who owns them today. Plenty of guys like Matt Murphy know the detailed history of the ZL-1...ask him.

BTW - Lamar sold his to Reggie Jackson for $250K and Reggie recently sold it to somebody else for $325K.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default phase II berger

Lots of interesting discussion here regarding the various GMMG engine “Phase” options.

Regular Bergers did not get the Phase III 427 motor. ZL1, Hot Rod and Dick Harrell cars were the only ones that could be had with the optional 427. The last of the Berger SS had been made by the time the 427 ZL1's were conceived. Hot Rods were being built at the same time as the first ZL1's so there are a couple with the 427 in them.
As long as you own a GMMG modified/built car, you can always send it back down to Matt/Ron/Mike to have it upgraded to the next level regardless of whether it is a Blackbird, 35th Anniversary Performance Edition, Berger SS, Tom Henry SS, Hot Rod Magazine, ZL1 Supercar or Berger/Dick Harrell Supercar.

Not impressive? Matt put me in a phase II one cool evening several years ago and the thing was a power house. In fact, a buddy of mine who was with me that night has a cammed, headers, head work and several other mods to his 02 Z06 and he wouldn't even drive it!!

Looking back I realize the Phase II is plenty. Much more power is simply not usable on the street. Not to mention scary!
GRB, I agree with you completely. My Phase II is a 475 h.p. car and dynoed on the chassis dyno right after the upgrade at 420 h.p. at the wheels. While a Phase III car would be sweet, they are very awkward to drive. My Phase II car is temperamental enough. It has just enough “lope” in the cam to get everyone’s attention but it is still “streetable”.

I have driven two Phase II 475 h.p. Camaros modified by GMMG. My Phase II 475 H.P. ZL1 (manual transmission) and a close friend's 475 h.p. Phase IIx Hot Rod Magazine Camaro (automatic transmission). My friend's car ran in the 11.9's at the track after Matt modified it to the Phase IIx package.

Below is my Onyx Black Phase II ZL1

Below is my friend's Sebring Silver Phase IIx Hot Rod Magazine Camaro

Actually the standard engine in the ZL-1 was the LS6 engine
Correct again GRB, as you and I both know, our cars were shipped Matt as B4C Camaros with LS1 engines. The first upgrade was to swap out the LS1 for the LS6. After that, then Matt introduced the Phase II modification for the LS6 engines and the Phase III C5R engines for those that choose to kick in the additional $$$$$$.

Originally Posted by grb
No, but the engine I have on a stand does. My car is #51 which is the number of the first ZL-1 given by GM to a racer.

I Doubt it................................................ ..........

Show original documentation please.......................
GRB does have the #51 2002 ZL1 Supercar and Lamar Walden is modifying it for him to a Phase III/Phase IV equivalent engine package. I am absolutely sure that GRB does have the original LS6 engine sitting at home in his shop or garage on an engine stand. There are enough of us around that know his story to be true. I don't believe GRB has to show any original documentation to anyone.

That’s so cool! Great story, and great car!!
I agree completely. It is cool. It is history being made right in front of all of us. GREAT STORY……………….GREAT CAR GRB ! ! ! !
Old 09-25-2005, 10:10 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Thanks 02. These are interesting cars and are developing a history already. I guess the documentation history has to do with the final 19 cars. That is GM history and not hard to find. People don't realize what dogs those ZL-1s were for soooooooooo long. Dealers couldn't sell because they cost more than a vette and were plain Jane butt ugly to buyers at that time (today they are considered rare and beautiful).

If Lama's #51 wasn't a 427 there is no doubt I would have gone phase II and gotten Lamar to add about 100 more HP, give or take a few, and been perfectly happy.

My 427 with 4 psi boost is undriveable. It is at Lamar's now getting the 10 psi pulley and final tune. We were making 65x at the rear wheels with it barely running. I can't imagine what it will be like now. We are only doing this to get some dyno numbers, establish some elapsed times and for a magazine. After that I will probably take off the SC and pull the solid lifter roller. I will have had enough adrenalin rushes to last a lifetime and will have a driveable car. No a/c, but at least street-able.

Quick Reply: phase II berger