Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

will my SS be worth a lot in 20 years or so from now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 09:51 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be gas. When the price reaches a certain point the majority will overcome the minority growth/gas/auto haters and find plenty. Also, I think the LS1 series of body styles will grow in appreciation with the years.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

A '75 Z28 is indeed VERY rare....like none. No Z's in '75-'76 at all. I would gladly take a '74, though.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

sure, color will make a slight difference in desirabilty, but color alone will not increase the collectibility much. Your SOM SS convertible will be a prize to own in 20 years, as not many were built. It will be popular at the car shows, it probably already is.

Unless the colors are special edition colors, or 1-year production, etc.., they typically do not increase the collectibility of a car.

Tony
Old 09-23-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Do you ever watch Barrett Jackson? Every week there is an example of a car that that goes for less than the average because its gold or puke green. The announcers always point out that had the car been a desirable color it would have sold for more. They usually have an example from a previous week.

Good example

About 12 years back I was in the market for a RS/SS conv Camaro. There was a great deal on a freshly painted puke green numbers match ride. They were asking $12,000 for a 15-20k ride. It took 2 months to sell. In the meantime several red and blue cars with less features (maybe only an RS) sold within days for more.

I drove to Pomona to check the car out. It was cherry but an ugly green w/ green interior. I ended up settling for a Silver blue SS/RS Conv w/ less feature, orig paint and light rust. I paid $3k less but new it would cost me $8,000 to match the paint quility of the green one. Then there was rebuilding the motor and detailing the under carraige and bay, etc.. In the end I spent $17,500 and several weeks of my labor to finish the car but it was worth it. It was silver blue, with silver blue int, and a white top. When it came time to sell it was gone in a week for a lot more that the green one.

If the color isn't right and you're into code correct cars, which most collectors are, you will pay extra for the right color. \

Ask yourself this question, honestly!

If you had 2 RS/SS Conv Cam, or 2 Hemi Cuda, or 2 Shelby Gt500's, one is 1968-1972 puke green or harvest gold, and the other is Red or Blue, which one are you buying and how much more would you pay for your favorite color.

I would pay an extra 10-20% for the right color on a collectible. New cars? If it isn't the right color I won't buy it or I will deduct the price of a good paint job. My 2000 SS is NBM. My favorite by far and I wouldn't hesitate to pay extra for my color. Remember the purple Camaros's of the 1996 or Mistic Green Camaros from 2001. Can you say hell no!

Last edited by Bowtieman4life; 09-23-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Nineball?

I noticed you bought a black vette. How much would they have to drop the price to get you into a puke green, harvest gold, burnt orange Vette. Don't pull the they don't make them in those colors anymore. They did back it the day and someday they may hate some of the colors they used today (i.e purple, mistic green) I am trying to make a point. Its more than a little bit of a difference. Remember that even today, there are premiums charged on popular colors and discounts offered on less popular colors.

"Anyways, that's all I got to say about that."
Old 09-24-2005, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

I would imagine it would be worth a lot but you never know what's gonna go up in value and what's not. Look at the plymouth superbirds. They couldn't give those away when they were new and now they're selling for $300k.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Teching In

I am no expert or no fortune teller.... I know by the number of people that comment on my car it will be a collectors item.... I say this because I have owned 2 other 4th gens... a 01 white coupe and a 01 red convertible.... the attention difference is 10 to 1 ...... but I love my SS too much to even consider selling it....and I doubt I ever will
Old 09-26-2005, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 226 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtieman4life
Do you ever watch Barrett Jackson? Every week there is an example of a car that that goes for less than the average because its gold or puke green. The announcers always point out that had the car been a desirable color it would have sold for more. They usually have an example from a previous week.

Good example

About 12 years back I was in the market for a RS/SS conv Camaro. There was a great deal on a freshly painted puke green numbers match ride. They were asking $12,000 for a 15-20k ride. It took 2 months to sell. In the meantime several red and blue cars with less features (maybe only an RS) sold within days for more.

I drove to Pomona to check the car out. It was cherry but an ugly green w/ green interior. I ended up settling for a Silver blue SS/RS Conv w/ less feature, orig paint and light rust. I paid $3k less but new it would cost me $8,000 to match the paint quility of the green one. Then there was rebuilding the motor and detailing the under carraige and bay, etc.. In the end I spent $17,500 and several weeks of my labor to finish the car but it was worth it. It was silver blue, with silver blue int, and a white top. When it came time to sell it was gone in a week for a lot more that the green one.

If the color isn't right and you're into code correct cars, which most collectors are, you will pay extra for the right color. \

Ask yourself this question, honestly!

If you had 2 RS/SS Conv Cam, or 2 Hemi Cuda, or 2 Shelby Gt500's, one is 1968-1972 puke green or harvest gold, and the other is Red or Blue, which one are you buying and how much more would you pay for your favorite color.

I would pay an extra 10-20% for the right color on a collectible. New cars? If it isn't the right color I won't buy it or I will deduct the price of a good paint job. My 2000 SS is NBM. My favorite by far and I wouldn't hesitate to pay extra for my color. Remember the purple Camaros's of the 1996 or Mistic Green Camaros from 2001. Can you say hell no!
You have a valid point that the "wrong color" (i.e.: ugly or not desireable) can hurt value. HOWEVER, the issue of this thread was if a RARE color will enhance the value or not. The funny thing about car colors is that the "wrong color" (i.e.: ugly or not desireable) don't tend to sell well to begin with, so in most instances the RARE color is the UGLY color. I don't know the facts about the production quantity of the colors of your examples above, but I'd bet that many more blue and red cars sold than green or harvest gold, making the green / harvest gold a more RARE color............ but it doesn't make it more VALUABLE. SURE there are exceptions to the rule, a desirable color offered for only 1 or 2 model years for example. But again, these are exceptions, not the rule.

My point is, given these tendancies in the car market, any "value enhancement" provided by a car having a "rare" color is offset by the fact that the color is most likely less desireable. Thus they tend to either cancel out, or in your examples, over-compensate for the "rarity factor". Therefore my prediction is that BLACK cars will be worth more in the distanct future.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 226 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Unless the colors are special edition colors, or 1-year production, etc.., they typically do not increase the collectibility of a car.

Tony
Thank you.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen a 2002 SOM B4C M6 car (1 of 7) selling for 40K with 36 miles on it. Still has the plastic on the interior/exterior. That should be worth some $$$. The most desirable color combos/options will DEFINATELY make a difference in the future, but it may take 30+ years to do so...
Old 10-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
On 4th gen cars, but not limited to:

1) LT4 cars especially the Firehawks
2) 1LE cars especially SS and Firehawks
3) Purple, orange and yellow f-bodies
4)All GMMG cars (Berger,Earnhardt,Blackbirds)
5) WS6 Formulas
6) All anniversary cars-especially 30th
7) rare prototypes
8) Firehawks
9)SS & WS6 in general.

I'm sure I missed a few.
Hello, everyone. I know this is not the proper topic to introduce myself but I have a question to yer post firehawk608. About a block away from my house there's a lady selling a '95 Camaro Z28 A4. I briefly checked it out and she told me that she's the second owner. The car has 151,000 miles. They've never had any problems with the engine. They don't know if it did have probs with previous owner though. She started up the car and it starts great. Didn't get to test drive it though, =\. Everything is stock except they changed the wing at the back. And its original color is Purple. I see you have mentioned that color could be worth something later on. The car is selling for 5 grand. That seems like a good deal to me, then again I am 15 going on 16 this November 20. I get my license in March next year and am interested in that Z28. If you could provide any info, any of you, or maybe I will make a post out it, can you please fill me in on what I can expect with that car and what I'm getting / getting into. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

one thing yall are also not considering is the cost of storage and upkeep for a car for 20yrs. even if the value does go up a good bit, which im sure it will, the cost of storage and upkeep will probably cost even more over time. now in 20yrs, if i found a 98 purple WS6 or a hugger SS or something, i would be on that like looters on plasma tvs.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

I will make a quick reply here to the question.Not much. Why because the real muscle car era is gone,when a computor was not used to power the car.The SS 454,69 Z-28,etc.Those are the cars that will keep there value and some might keep going up . Our newer camaro's,etc will just keep on going down.Even though they drive better,etc.Now that is just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Brianss1; 10-21-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Banned

F_Body Fan: That car with purple might be a rare color, but the miles are 151k. They might as well be 1 million. The color makes no difference on that car. Buy it for what it is... A well used LT1 Camaro. Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:49 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

There has been more than one muscle car era. There damn well better be another one.....I'm about to own 3 02s!!