HIDHQ.com HID Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone bought a kit yet?

If so, just wondering what you think of it?

I'm considering buying a kit.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Teching In

HID bulbs are designed to be used in a projector lens to focus the light. Just installing a HID bulb in a standard housing is going to cause the light to scatter and blind on coming motorists. They'll work in the Camaro foglights but not in the headlights. Just a heads up..don't expect them to work like they do in cars that come factory equipped with them. They'll be brigher than a standard halogen for sure, but you won't be taking full advantage of the extra light
Old 03-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 1bad346Z28
HID bulbs are designed to be used in a projector lens to focus the light. Just installing a HID bulb in a standard housing is going to cause the light to scatter and blind on coming motorists. They'll work in the Camaro foglights but not in the headlights. Just a heads up..don't expect them to work like they do in cars that come factory equipped with them. They'll be brigher than a standard halogen for sure, but you won't be taking full advantage of the extra light
Indeed! If you want HIDs and don't want to go complete custom projector setup, you should at least pick up the Export Camaro Headlights. They'll give you cleaner cutout off lines and autoleveling. http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html is a VERY good HID information page.

-Alex
Old 03-10-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Where do you get info on the export headlights? I've seen these mentioned on boards before but no one takes it any further.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Jake99SS
Where do you get info on the export headlights? I've seen these mentioned on boards before but no one takes it any further.
Here's the information I got from another LS1 site. gmpartsdirect.com has them for like $190 a piece but shipping is probably expensive.

-Alex

Originally Posted by WraithLT1
To those of you that have HID kits already for your Z28's, you can improve your lighting more still. GM has export (aka E-code) headlight assemblies for them. They have better cut-off angles, reflective qualities and autoleveling. They also include a city light feature so that you can illuminate the housing with just a 5 watt wedge style bulb.

Here are the part numbers and retail prices for the lights. The autoleveling is part of price.

#16525315 - LH $202.94
#16525316 - RH $202.94
Old 03-10-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1bad346Z28
HID bulbs are designed to be used in a projector lens to focus the light. Just installing a HID bulb in a standard housing is going to cause the light to scatter and blind on coming motorists.
I thought the same thing but I didn't see any glare in the beam pattern pictures he took. If their was glare light, you should see streaks in the beam pattern above the cutoff.

The issue with HID's being put in a reflector is a little different than projector versus reflector (there are many reflector HID's on the market). The issue is that they can put the arc in roughly the same place as the filament, but the arc is not in a discrete location like a filament. By nature, the arc moves a little bit around the end. The light from the arc that is not at the filament location is what causes the glare. Each car's headlamps have a custom prescription for reflecting the light off the filament to the road and create their beam pattern.

With all that being said, his pictures don't seem to show any glare light, but it is probably going to be different from lamp to lamp, too (because each lamp has it's own optics prescription). If they all look like the one previously in this post, though, you shouldn't get flashed at all.

-Geoff
Old 03-10-2004, 04:06 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

You're doing a GP and including the trucks? Well my Denali projectors would be a perfect housing for those HIDs, but they are 9005 based. Could/Do you include that kit in the GP price so I can buy them?
Old 03-10-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HommieAV
Here's the information I got from another LS1 site. gmpartsdirect.com has them for like $190 a piece but shipping is probably expensive.

-Alex
Beautiful, thanks. Do we know if those use the 9006/9005 bulbs?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chingon
You're doing a GP and including the trucks? Well my Denali projectors would be a perfect housing for those HIDs, but they are 9005 based. Could/Do you include that kit in the GP price so I can buy them?

Yes I can get you a 9005 kit that will work with your current setup if you're interested. Also..the kits for the TA's come with eurospec housings which clean up the beam pattern as you can see. Very much the same as the export headlights for the camaro you guys are looking at.Once i get 3 confirmed orders on the TA kits I can put them together for you guys and ship them. So if you're seriously interested please let me know.

-Jeff
Old 03-12-2004, 10:09 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

Jeff, has anyone placed an order for the T/A yet? If not, I'll probably be the first. I just don't want to wait more then a month for my order to arrive.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ever happened with the T/A kits? Is it possible to just get the fog lights by themselves?

Quick Reply: HIDHQ.com HID Group Buy