MagnaFlow GP ends April 30th

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, stupid newbie question here.

I want a Magnaflow exhaust, but I'm not sure if I should get the catback, or just the muffler itself.

Down the line, I will be putting longtube headers in. Here's where I don't understand the connection. Will I be connecting LT headers to a y pipe, bypassing the cats, and connecting the y pipe to the maganaflow ? If this is correct, I want the complete catback setup right?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

Stock catback is 2.75" pipe the MagnaFlow is a 3" catback pipe. It starts from the end of the Y-pipe most headers will have there own y-pipe to mate to the catback.

Nate
Old 04-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Teching In

So basically I'd want the entire catback system for $350 if I plan on connecting the system to LT headers with a y pipe ? Or would I just want the muffler?
Old 04-20-2004, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Yes you should get the complete system.

Nate
Old 04-21-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

How does this cat-back sound w/ LTs and ORY? Does it rasp badly? In terms of loudness, how would you rate it on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the loudest? Thank you! I think I am wanting to get rid of my duals w/ X pipe and tone down the beast a little bit.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:59 PM
FormerVendor

Surprizing it does not have a lot of rasp even without the cats. It is pretty loud maybe an...7.5-8. but not obnoxous like a Loudmouth.

Nate
Old 04-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I might be interested. How does this catback sound at idle? I am trying to choose between this and the Hooker. I have heard that they are both really quite at idle. Whick one is louder at idle and wot? anyone know?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

www.LS1sounds.com has good sound clips and videos of exhaust systems available for the LS1.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Hey qew9999, I would suggest one thing about catback exhausts. Many have a "dreaded drone" at 2150 to 2200 rpm. This is inherent to the LS1. I have it with my 2000 Formula. It has the Random Technologies Catback exhasut, which I really love. The sound is the best I have heard. Unfortunately, that car has the 3.42 gears option, which puts the drone right at 71 to 72 mph. That is where I like to drive on the interstate highways, and it is SO annoying!

I swore, I would never do it again. Well, I have a 2002 Firehawk also, with SLP longtube headers, 3" highflow cats, 3" y-pipe, and the stock dual/dual exhaust. I got tired of the mundane sound. Every time my son, (who is driving my Formula while in college), comes over I hear that sweet sound and I miss it.

I am going on the Hot Rod Power Tour again, and I want that Firehawk to sound like it is suppose to! So here I go again. I ordered the Magna Flow for the Firehawk. (There are tons of articles on how well this system performs). I am sure it will have that same drone, I haven't heard a system that didn't. If it is open, or "flows well", it will have that area in the RPM that has the drone. They all do. Fortunately, this is a six speed, without the performance axle option, so I am hoping it will be around 78 to 80 mph on this car. I'll probably end up driving faster though, now that I have bought a radar detector/jammer! I have 28 years without a ticket, knock on wood, I just have a feeling my time is up. It will probably happen on the Hot Rod Power Tour, my 5th! So many fbodies get together and drive fast, it is a blast. I had such a good time on the previous ones. But, look out, there are some real monster LS1s and LS6s on the Tour. I meant several that were in the low 10s driving on the Tour in 2002. (I missed 2003--mom was sick).

Get the exhaust and go for it.

By the way, I am an old fart, I act like a kid, and having a good sounding car, as well as a fast one, IS OK! GO for it, you won't find this quality of an exhaust at this price again!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

To the top. Still going till the end of the month.

Thanks For all the Orders
Nate
Old 04-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Teching In

I'm just curious about how much louder the magnaflow exhaust is over the stock WS6 exhaust. My problem with so many of the exhausts is I like the "tone" or "timbre" of the sound the exhaust is. To me, Corsa, Borla, and others change this tone/timbre of the sound and it doesn't sound like an LS1 exhaust. I'm just wondering if the magnaflow is basically a deeper version of the regular exhaust?

My other thing is, as of right now, I won't have money to put into the car for a long while (saving for a house), so I was either thinking of doing headers/Y or just exhaust and then the other way down the road. I'm very happy with the sound of the car, just wish it was a little bit louder and more aggressive of a sound. Right now I have (as sad as this is to say) a magnaflow Camaro/TA muffler on my Grand Am GT and I really like the way it sounds...so I'm thinking that the Magnaflow would work out well for the Fbodies. I've listened to all the sounds from ls1sounds.com (which by the way is one of the best sites EVER!!!! -- Why no one thought of that sooner, I'll never know), and I do (for the most part) like the sound the magnaflow gives, but from some clips it sounds really good, other times, it doesn't so much... I guess it's the combo of Headers/Y pipe some people have.

Basically I'm looking for a more aggressive sound that is a little bit louder during normal driving, but when you hit it WOT, it sounds bada$$!!! Do you guys things magnaflow is the exhaust I should get, or is there something better out there that will fit my thinking?!

I do like the way GMMG and LM sound, but the LM is TOOOO loud and GMMG seems pretty darn loud. Is the magnaflow (basically) a more quiet version of these two?! -- Never heard GMMG in real life, but from the clip from ls1sounds.com

$350 shipped is a pretty good price (not the best, but pretty darn good), and for me to afford this exhaust -- this month is a bad month, I'm going to be really stretching it...but should I do it, or not?!

I was also thinking just doing headers/Y pipe (catted) and leaving the stock exhaust, would that give me the sound I'm looking for?

Thanks for all your help!!!

-D
Old 04-23-2004, 02:05 PM
11 Second Truck Club

How about a factory muffler replacement for a 03 ss silverado.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StarFire
I'm just curious about how much louder the magnaflow exhaust is over the stock WS6 exhaust. My problem with so many of the exhausts is I like the "tone" or "timbre" of the sound the exhaust is. To me, Corsa, Borla, and others change this tone/timbre of the sound and it doesn't sound like an LS1 exhaust. I'm just wondering if the magnaflow is basically a deeper version of the regular exhaust?

My other thing is, as of right now, I won't have money to put into the car for a long while (saving for a house), so I was either thinking of doing headers/Y or just exhaust and then the other way down the road. I'm very happy with the sound of the car, just wish it was a little bit louder and more aggressive of a sound. Right now I have (as sad as this is to say) a magnaflow Camaro/TA muffler on my Grand Am GT and I really like the way it sounds...so I'm thinking that the Magnaflow would work out well for the Fbodies. I've listened to all the sounds from ls1sounds.com (which by the way is one of the best sites EVER!!!! -- Why no one thought of that sooner, I'll never know), and I do (for the most part) like the sound the magnaflow gives, but from some clips it sounds really good, other times, it doesn't so much... I guess it's the combo of Headers/Y pipe some people have.

Basically I'm looking for a more aggressive sound that is a little bit louder during normal driving, but when you hit it WOT, it sounds bada$$!!! Do you guys things magnaflow is the exhaust I should get, or is there something better out there that will fit my thinking?!

I do like the way GMMG and LM sound, but the LM is TOOOO loud and GMMG seems pretty darn loud. Is the magnaflow (basically) a more quiet version of these two?! -- Never heard GMMG in real life, but from the clip from ls1sounds.com

$350 shipped is a pretty good price (not the best, but pretty darn good), and for me to afford this exhaust -- this month is a bad month, I'm going to be really stretching it...but should I do it, or not?!

I was also thinking just doing headers/Y pipe (catted) and leaving the stock exhaust, would that give me the sound I'm looking for?

Thanks for all your help!!!

-D
this is the stainless version. gererally 450 plus.
because you already have a free flowing exhaust why dont you just get the muffler and save youreself the money. WS-6 exhaust is 2.75 inches, while the mangaflow is 3 inches.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:28 AM
11 Second Club

For the lS1's it's 518.00 plus shipping. A very good deal.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2bseen
How about a factory muffler replacement for a 03 ss silverado.
I could get you a muffler to work in that system. Give me a call I can work out the dimentions with you. The reason MagnaFlow has not released a complete system is they can not get rid of the drone of the 6.0L and they donot want to release one that is not perfect.

Starfire-To answer a few of your ? the headers are not going to change the sound much if you stick with cats and your stock ex. As 4mula said you could just do a muffler but that is a little raspy with the small diameter pipe. The full system is the sound you are looking for I do believe they are one of the best sounding systems for the F-body I have heard.

Nate
Old 04-26-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

did any get shipped out yet?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

I am hoping to see the first shipment today or early tomorrow morning. Then they will be on there way to you.

Those that ordered the past week or so I will be ordering at the end of the week.

Thanks Nate
Old 04-27-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the update nate.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nate,
I need to place my order. Should I call it in?

Nothing like the the last minute

Thanks
Old 04-28-2004, 10:13 PM
FormerVendor

You got it just give me a ring tomorrow and I will get you one ordered.

Thanks Nate