The Powder Pro powdercoated brake caliper,ported throttle body,and MAF exchange!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
matching things via pics on a computer is difficult i've found, depending on the color of course. if there is any way to send me a little part you don't need that's painted in that color that's the best. then i can go at it live and match it. same process as i used to match factory colors like NBM and SOM.
Ok when me and the wife narrow it down from 3 color's I will get back to you.Thanks again for the quick response.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem, let me know
Old 08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Motorboater

added a couple pics to the first page but here's a few LS1tech members calipers from this week.

Mirror black with "near chrome" bracket, and clearcoat

Mirror red caliper and bracket

Also did an NBM set but I already put pics of ones like it up on the first page.

For fun here's some other stuff from this week...

Front rim off a gixxer bike in flat black, polished lip

Rear rim off the same bike

one of three truck engine covers from a Silverado SS. mirror black, handpainted red letters, then super clear over it all.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont really like the rough finish due to the stock cast finish. Can you provide a service to smooth the calipers before powder coating and if so how much for the extra labor? I need to research the best way to smooth the calipers so if the labor is too expensive I could possibly do that and send you the calipers for powder coating.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Motorboater

the calipers themselves are of course aluminum and they smooth out nice in my blast cabinet, the final finish is great on them.

the brackets are steel and indeed are a pretty rough finish, and my blast media doesn't do anything to smooth the steel out, it would have to be sanded down or something. I'd have to think on that one a little.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the calipers themselves are of course aluminum and they smooth out nice in my blast cabinet, the final finish is great on them.

the brackets are steel and indeed are a pretty rough finish, and my blast media doesn't do anything to smooth the steel out, it would have to be sanded down or something. I'd have to think on that one a little.
Now that I look again at the pictures again, your right the calipers do look pretty smooth. I was looking at some calipers at TA Nats this last weekend and a lot of people had painted calipers but they weren't smoothed out at all....that doesn't look that great in my opinion. If your going to take the time to paint them I would think taking a bit more time to get what the paint is going on looking nice would be worth the extra effort. I have book marked your company, I really like the service you are providing at a really good price. I will be in touch real soon.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Motorboater

painted calipers don't look like this in terms of surface finish for a two reasons:
no media blasting is done.
and powder lays down a significantly thicker and smoother finish, period. Powder will fill in the small imperfections/bumps/grooves in a substrate and flow out to create a flat and even surface. Paint doesn't do that, the surface after paint is just a reflection of the quality of the surface before it was painted, it shows everything. Powder hides those areas very well.

thanks for the bookmark, be glad to help when you are ready

Sean
Old 08-31-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

can you match the light pewter metallic color... been throwing around the idea for my calipers
Old 08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have any pics of some painted SOM yet? Also I like the idea of the decal under the powder coat clear...did the member asking about that get it that way and if so how did it work out?

This is sort of off topic, can you clean up and powder coat the part that connects the front A arms, (??spindle...not sure if that is the parts name???) on a TA?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by jasonk
can you match the light pewter metallic color... been throwing around the idea for my calipers
Just would need a pewter car in my driveway for a couple hours or a factory color matched sample sent to me and I could work on it. Go grab one of those 5oz touch up spray paint cans from the dealer or something and fire it my way and I'll figure it out if you want pewter calipers
Old 09-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
Do you have any pics of some painted SOM yet? Also I like the idea of the decal under the powder coat clear...did the member asking about that get it that way and if so how did it work out?

This is sort of off topic, can you clean up and powder coat the part that connects the front A arms, (??spindle...not sure if that is the parts name???) on a TA?
Nope, nobody has ordered anything in SOM yet. I have the powder match but its a very pricey powder to order enough of it to shoot any parts so I'm waiting until someone wants something done. If you see my NBM match you know I can match colors, so the SOM will be right also

On the decals on the calipers question I have a set here right now I am doing for a Camaro, will be done tomorrow and can take pics before I ship them out Tuesday.

I believe I am picturing the part you are referring to with the A-arms and if I am correct on it then yes no problem I could media blast and powdercoat that. Just PM me and we can talk.

Sean
Old 09-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Motorboater

Just completed these tonite for an ls1tech member who sent the decals with the calipers for me to use..

mirror black caliper, "near chrome" brackets..the decals are over the black but then I used super clear over everything after installing the decals..

Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

get those cores back in yet?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Motorboater

Not yet

One of my sets I sent out got delayed a week due to bad seals that I had to order new ones on. Took a week for them to come in. Kinda screwed me up there a bit. Any way you can pull yours off and send them so I can get this done for you?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Hmmm, kinda tempting. Would you do GTO calipers? I'm local too.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Motorboater

Of course, no problem. I actually have a set of 2004 GTO cores sitting here, just missing some of the seals and boots. I know the brakes are different on 2004 vs the other years though, what year is your car?

PM me, be glad to help.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Motorboater

did these tonite for a tech member.
billet power steering pulley, ported a set of stock MAF ends and shaved the exterior prior to powdercoating in my NBM match. there is no powder in the belt path as you can see in pic number 2.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just got a grinded set off classifieds. I'll send them ur way when I get them.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Just completed these tonite for an ls1tech member who sent the decals with the calipers for me to use..

mirror black caliper, "near chrome" brackets..the decals are over the black but then I used super clear over everything after installing the decals..

nice.same color i was thinking about but white or black bracket..i was wondering if the decals would be ok.. as soon as i get funds i will put a order in..
Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Motorboater

10-4, just let me know. yup, decals held up great in the oven, no problems. these ones the customer got were from afterthoughts auto and were made of good quality material, i'd recommend getting the decals from them since i know they are quality and work. white brackets would be different and cool but impossible to keep clean, even with the added protection of the clear powder on top. they would clean up easily, but obviously would show dirt like crazy.

Zleeper I'll send you a PM with my shipping info.

Quick Reply: The Powder Pro powdercoated brake caliper,ported throttle body,and MAF exchange!