Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking wiring help

hey
i m a lil slow when it comes to wiring i got the 1988 gm wiring harness does it include power and will it hook up all of my speakers

And 1988 harness to RCA jacks wht colors do i use

Power what color do i use
Old 01-18-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

1988? I dont understand what your trying to do.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The 1988 and up wiring harness adapter has all the connections you need to install an aftermarket head unit in place of the factory one. That includes speakers, power, ground, etc. It does not include any connections for RCAs (since the factory system doesn't use RCAs). Installation is a simple matter of matching the wire colors on your aftermarket head unit to the wire colors of the adapter harness and then plugging it in.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh i get what he is doing now.

Yeah, the RCA's plug right into the back of your aftermarket HU.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The 1988 and up wiring harness adapter has all the connections you need to install an aftermarket head unit in place of the factory one. That includes speakers, power, ground, etc. It does not include any connections for RCAs (since the factory system doesn't use RCAs). Installation is a simple matter of matching the wire colors on your aftermarket head unit to the wire colors of the adapter harness and then plugging it in.
Ok, Im currently in the process of doing this but I have a few wires that i dont know where they go. I have a orange wire that says dash illumination, and i have a blue wire, and the black ground(but my hu wires has a black wire with a spade end for attaching to the car so what to do with the black ground wire on the adapter?) Also have the radio remote wire that has a tag on the end of it(what to do with that one?

And their were two plugs that plugged into the factory Monsoon, but the Pioneer HU only has one plug. ??

Any help on this as I cant find this specific info in any of the stickies...thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Just match the wires color for color - any wires not in your aftermarket head unit harness are not needed. For example, there are two standard illumination wire colors - orange and orange with white. One is used as a simple on/off trigger for display illumination, the other is used for dimming the display with the dash dimmer switch. Most aftermarket HUs will have one or the other but not both. Connect the one that matches and leave the other disconnected.

The use of the blue wire depends on whether you mean the blue wire in the adapter harness or the one in the factory harness. The blue wire in the adapter harness is for amplifier remote turn-on. It is unnecessary in the Monsoon system because the amp turns on by sensing signal on the audio channels. The blue wire in the factory harness is for steering wheel controls. You will need an adapter to make those work so you don't need that wire unless you have the adapter.

The black wire is for grounding the head unit. You can either use the terminal that is already attached to connect the wire to a screw in the dash or cut off the terminal and connect the wire to the black wire in the adapter harness. I recommend the latter because it's easier to disconnect by just unplugging rather than having to undo a ground screw.

The one plug has all 20 pins that the combined two factory connectors have.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

The 1988-up #BBGM02AB one is WRONG. If you don't have an exact color match, take it back and get the 1858 harness. The dorks at best buy gave me the wrong one to begin with. If all the colors don't match up, you have the one "not for use with factory amplified sound systems" Check the #'s.

**EDIT** just saw the year of your vehicles. Sorry, now I dunno? Which one?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Monsoon equipped cars use the same adapter harness as base audio equipped cars. The amplifier is not a factor because the head unit is just an ordinary Delco radio and the amp takes speaker-level input.