Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DIY Pass Window Fix Step by Step (PICS missing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sub scribed
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so is there an equivalent to this for the drivers side?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To do this drivers side it is exactly the same, except for your power and ground locations.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

just wondering.. Does the driver side not have the same problem?

I've replaced both before I heard of this kind of fix.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
To do this drivers side it is exactly the same, except for your power and ground locations.
Uh, no... they are different. This mod is being done to the wiring between the driver's door switches and the passenger's door switch. The wiring for the driver's side window incorporates the express down module which means there are two separate power sources to the window motor (not to mention the wire colors are somewhat different).

To do this properly on the driver's side you should add your relays and power/ground connections to the dark blue wire and the brown wire inside the door between the switches and the motor itself.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
To do this properly on the driver's side you should add your relays and power/ground connections to the dark blue wire and the brown wire inside the door between the switches and the motor itself.
Would you lose the express down capability or confuse it by doing this since the module won't see the resistance when the motor has made it all the way down?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main issue here is that the passenger side window motor doesn't get the right amount of voltage. In essence, all you are really doing is moving the switch and putting in a direct power source. Because of that, I don't really see anything that tells me this would have any real effect on the speed of the driver's window motor. I could be wrong, but as far as I can tell, there would be little or no improvement, and it would probably turn into being a much more complex wiring setup.

When I read the voltage at the driver's window motor, it was right around 11.9 volts. The passenger window was getting I think 9.6-9.8 volts, both with the car running before the fix. After the fix, they both were getting 11.9-12.1 volts, which is right where they should be.

Originally Posted by VIP1
Would you lose the express down capability or confuse it by doing this since the module won't see the resistance when the motor has made it all the way down?
The driver's side is a whole different beast because of the express down. From what I'm looking at, if you did it that way you would lose express down, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Sweet now tell us how to do the driver side. Already did the passenger side
Old 07-18-2009, 05:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whitebird00 your correct that the relay locations would be different, as well as there placement. I know what im talking about, I was the one who engineered this mod to begin with, and Jimbo did a great job taking it upon himself to complete the mod and take pictures, and came up with a great write up.

I should mention when I originally experimented with this kit I had placed my relays right in front of the motor, because it was easier for most people to do - working inside the door panel is a pain and running all your power and ground wiring through the door grommet can get irritating. So when I went ahead and made my write up I changed the location to under the kick panel.

The drivers side motor does indeed get almost full voltage, unlike the passenger side. However when both switches are depressed simultaneously, the driver side voltage will drop to right around 9 volts.

So to answer your question, to do this mod on the driver side the instructions on how to wire the relays are exactly the same. The difference is you will need to mount your relays in the door panel, and then cut the blue brown wires going right into the motor so that you can connect them to the relay.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I agree, adding relays to the blue and brown wires in the driver's door will allow you to pass full power to the motor. My concern is with what VIP1 asked - will the relays prevent the express down module from stopping because it doesn't see the increased resistance as the window reaches the end of its travel? They won't affect the initiation of the express down feature but I'm not sure the motor would stop at the appropriate time.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Teching In

I got a different question. doing this mod would this change everything electrical on that side of the door. Like the door lights? because my driver side door light is alot brighter then my passenger side
Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by campbell45
I got a different question. doing this mod would this change everything electrical on that side of the door. Like the door lights? because my driver side door light is alot brighter then my passenger side
No, the lighting circuit and the power window circuit are not connected in any way.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Teching In

any idea on how to fix that while I'm in there with all those wires?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by campbell45
any idea on how to fix that while I'm in there with all those wires?
...not without knowing what is causing the problem. You'll have to do some diagnostics first. Check the bulbs - they get dimmer as they get older. Check voltage at the bulb sockets. Check for solid ground.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

very good write-up. ill be doing this very soon
Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Teching In

The reason I'm asking is cause im almost positive their isnt the right amount of voltage going to that passenger side. I changed the door bulbs out for red leds and the passenger side is alot dimmer than the driver side. I'm not the only one to notice this. FamousZ also has this problem. I was just wondering if you guys knew maybe I'll figure it out on my own sometime.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good an helpful writeup will be doing this when i get my car back from paint
Old 07-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Here's the kit I used on mine: http://www.autotrix.net/Product-Pass...Fix-Kit_1.aspx

Whichever way you do it, I HIGHLY recommend this fix. It's immediately noticeable, and it's nice to finally be able to roll down both windows at the same time without all of your lights dimming.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just wanted to give some insight on the driver side.

The factory module uses the equivlent of a zener diode and lowers the voltage to an even 10-11 volts (The modules seem to have some varience)

Adding new power to the module will not help AT ALL. The factory wiring is providing the module with a full 12v and big enough guage wire to support the 8+amp draw. The issue is the module not the wiring on that side, espeically after installing the relays on the passenger side.

Technically speaking you should be fine after isolating the windows on their own circuits. Extensive testing has proven to us that the problem is the module.

AutoTrix does have an after market module.

Good luck to everyone attempting to aquire parts locally, if you have them laying around your fine but otherwise it is allot of driving around to end up saving no money.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok guys I need help here. I've just completed this mod and I'm having problems. The passenger window does not move with the driver or passenger switch. My relays click when using the drivers button. I have checked the wiring and all the ground and + 12 V connections. I have measured voltage at the window switch on the passenger side and eveything seems to be working just fine except the window will not move. I did everything according to the writeup here except I removed the door panel and cut the tan and blue wires at the switch rather than before they enter the door. I do this kind of **** for a living and I'm stumped and feeling really dumb! Please help with some suggestions.

Quick Reply: DIY Pass Window Fix Step by Step (PICS missing)