Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Suggest a good HU

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suggest a good HU

I'm REALLY liking the Alpine IDA x-305

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gUzFYpzeQg

Only problem I'm seeing w/ the Alpine's like this is that none of them are coming w/ a cd player. Yea, I've got an iPhone/iPod, but I think I'd like to have the CD player. Seems like using the iPhone constantly would get old, hooking it up, etc..

Thoughts? What do you have?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:43 PM

I'm sold...thought about that model already...now I'm getting one...thanks!!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I REALLY like it a lot, especially the fact you can change the colors.... I'm just wondering about the lack of a cd player. :hmm:
Old 09-02-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

How does the iphone work w/ it? Mine is in a big case and won't just slide into a docking station.... I'm assuming it has an AUX outlet, but would I be able to use the controls on the radio for my iPhone? If not, a lot of the functions of the HU will be of little use to me.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

i have that same HU lol
and i use my iphone and my 120gb ipod on it
the 120 just sits in my car all the time
to be honest i like that it dosent play cd's i used to have my glove box full of cd's allways getting scratched . micro chips are soon will replace cd's
i think

i would say get it
its really nice and it works great
Old 09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
How does the iphone work w/ it? Mine is in a big case and won't just slide into a docking station.... I'm assuming it has an AUX outlet, but would I be able to use the controls on the radio for my iPhone? If not, a lot of the functions of the HU will be of little use to me.
its uses a usb and hooks up just like a ipod.
and u can even get the phone to go thruw the speakers lol
ill post some pics of my set up and how i have the wires set up.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I like alot of the newer JVC units also. They change all the colors of the spectrum so they can match any interior and most also have USB and aux input on the face allowing for full speed iPod controls. In that price range you could do the KD-R900. It has CD/MP3 playback but also has built in blue tooth, compatible with iPhone and iPod, 24bit Burr Brown processor for great sound quality, dual USB inputs (front and one in the rear) and aux input, 5-volt front, rear and sub preamp outs. All for $249.00.
I really like using the USB input as you only need a USB thumb drive to 100's of songs without needing any other device like an MP3 player or ipod. The unit does the work and displays everything. Just plug it in. Here's a picture with the blue illumination but it does 30,000 different color options.
http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/s...g&target=_self
The display is not as fancy but it does more and sounds phenominal.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

for me, and headunits, i'm alpine all the way.

they have some units that have the ability to use the ipod, while having the cd player also. i feel the same way, would love to have the ipod in there, but sitll want to be able to play my cds. man, i want a cd changer too.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmmmm it'll take a jumpdrive? See, the biggest complaint w/ my iPod/iPhone is that if I'm the road somewhere and hear/download a good song on my laptop, I have to wait until I get home to actually put it onto my iPhone. (my laptop is my company computer, so i don't have iTunes on it). But, I just about always have at least a jump drive in my car, soooo in theory, if I am able to burn a CD, I'm also able to load the same song onto the jump drive.

Am I clear on this? If not, please correct me. If so, this changes everything. I like having the portability of a jumpdrive.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

How does it work w/ a jumpdrive. Just leave the songs out of a folder, on the jump drive and it'll find/play them? or do they have to be in some special format for the HU to find them? Sorry, I'm so far out of the loop on stereo equipment that I have to re-learn it all.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Personally I like alot of the newer JVC units also. They change all the colors of the spectrum so they can match any interior and most also have USB and aux input on the face allowing for full speed iPod controls. In that price range you could do the KD-R900. It has CD/MP3 playback but also has built in blue tooth, compatible with iPhone and iPod, 24bit Burr Brown processor for great sound quality, dual USB inputs (front and one in the rear) and aux input, 5-volt front, rear and sub preamp outs. All for $249.00.
I really like using the USB input as you only need a USB thumb drive to 100's of songs without needing any other device like an MP3 player or ipod. The unit does the work and displays everything. Just plug it in. Here's a picture with the blue illumination but it does 30,000 different color options.
http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/s...g&target=_self
The display is not as fancy but it does more and sounds phenominal.
my only complaint w/ JVC is it just comes off as a "cheap" product, to me. I could be totally wrong... it's just the impression I get.

I'm setting my spending on the HU to no more than $300, so that should cover quite a range of HU's.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, w/ these new HU's, do they come w/ the capability to add satellite radio?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

if you're willing to spend a bit more, or if you happen to find them on sale..

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=CDA-9886

cd (mp3, wma, yadda yadda), ipod/iphone controls, and sat ready.

and best of all.. 4v preouts. says 350, but.. that's their msrp. i've seen it in some places for 299.

BUT.. illumination is only in blue.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...?model=CDA-105

this one also has similar features, but only 2v preouts to the amps (helps send stronger signal to the amps) 230 on the site, but i think i've seen them for around 200. sat ready. and has blue or red illumination.

Last edited by JackArse32; 09-02-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: addition:
Old 09-03-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I have a dumb question.... where is the USB hookup for the Alpine IDA x-305? How does this thing work? Just plug in a jump drive and it automatically pulls the songs off? What about the drivers associated w/ the jumpdrive... that's not an issue?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Do these head units allow for control of the iPod through the iPod? In my truck I used to have an Alpine HU and it made me pick the songs I wanted through the HU and took forever if I wanted an artist or a song that was in the middle of the alphabet. Very frustrating.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

i would think it would allow for choosing the song either way, but i'm not sure as i haven't had a chance to test either of the headunits yet.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

If they are anything like my IDA-X100 (the predecessor of the 305) the user interface is very simple. It is like sitting at the controls of the iPod itself. The USB port is on the back of the HU, and it comes with a USB cable to route to the iPod. I ran mine to the glove box.

The X100 has the capability for satellite radio, HD radio, and Bluetooth through add-on modules. Also, it can support an Alpine 6-disk CD changer through the Ai-Net bus.

It also has an aux-in that I occasionally use to plug up a Walkman type CD player to. It has a high-gain setting so using headphone/speaker level signals is no problem.

It can also be controlled by the steering wheel controls by a wired adapter and has the capability for a wireless remote.

I have used my X100 to play both my 80gb iPod, my iPhone, and music off a USB flash drive with no problem. The only thing about the flash drive playback is it only takes certain file formats.

The only real downside to the X100, X305, etc in my opinion is the lack of a REAL EQ on these units. You can get an Imprint sound processor from Alpine or their dealers that adds several "sound shaping" options. I myself don't have the Imprint module (that might change soon ), but I think the concept is quite amazing.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by adriangarcia404
i have that same HU lol
and i use my iphone and my 120gb ipod on it
the 120 just sits in my car all the time
to be honest i like that it dosent play cd's i used to have my glove box full of cd's allways getting scratched . micro chips are soon will replace cd's
i think

i would say get it
its really nice and it works great
I like having both. I have a 4gb USB fob plugged into my stereo and it plays CD's/MP3's and i have a 700mb CD in the deck that i never remove. the only time i ever remove the usb fob is to add more music to it. it's approx 1/2 full right now. my deck is a JVC i bought about 3 years ago.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I like having both. I have a 4gb USB fob plugged into my stereo and it plays CD's/MP3's and i have a 700mb CD in the deck that i never remove. the only time i ever remove the usb fob is to add more music to it. it's approx 1/2 full right now. my deck is a JVC i bought about 3 years ago.

That's what it does exactly. Just plug it in and it plays. You can seperate folders and go through them as well.
I go to a friends house and he may have an ablum I want and we just put it on my USB stick and I plug it in and listen to it on the way home. It's great! Then I take it out of the car and put it on my computer.
You can also use the USB input for your iPod as well or MP3 player input for the aux 3mm jack all of which are one the face.
As for JVC, they make great products. I have been using them for years. I still have the JVC EXAD AVX1 in my T/A that works flawlessly and has for years. This was the original small 3" screen DVD unit that also has DVD out in addition to a bunch of other options. Sound quality is very good and function has never been an issue for me. My BCM on the other hand was which I had to fix.
The JVC KD-R900 is a very good unit that has great sound quality. Better then the one I have with the Burr Brown processing. It is JVC's top of the line receiver. The JVC KD AHD-59 is another nice radio with the color change function, USB and aux input, has built in HD radio, and 5 volt preamp outs.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Dude the car is right hand drive....

NICE..