Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Weird turn signal issue

Hey guys, did a search, can't find my specific problem. Was looking for some guidance on where to start.

First off, all the bulbs seem to be working in the system - nothing is dead.

Both left and right turn signals work with the headlights off. When headlights are on, the left blinker arrow on the gauge cluster lights up green. When I turn the signal to the left side, it doesn't blink the lights outside and the gauge cluster remains lit solid green on the left arrow. Right side works fine.

I have noticed that the left turn signal/running light is dimmer than the right...Suggestions?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Try pulling out the bulbs and checking to make sure they are the same. If one of them is the wrong type it could short both filaments together.

The bulbs have 2 filaments. One for the DRL and turn signal function and one for the running lights.

Do you have the same problem when just the running lights are on and no headlights? If so, it sounds to me like there is a short somewhere between the two circuits. (That could also explain the brightness - One bulb has two filaments lit while the other has one.)
Old 10-05-2009, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorta figured out the problem. Suspected a filiment was out, swapped the bulb, still does the same thing(s). When swapping the bulbs I found that the drivers side light (one with the problems) bulb housing had been um..replaced. It was wired in like it needed more extension from where it was previously (turbo charge pipe around this location as well). So, I'm going to check to make sure the actual housing is correct, and also check the wiring to make sure its connected properly and not shorting out anywhere
Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might also be a bad ground on one of the lights and the power is back feeding threw the turns signal. I have seen that many times at the shop. Not really with late model things but is still a possiblity since it has been rewired.