Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird problem with dimmer and dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem with dimmer and dash lights

Hey guys,

This morning after dusk i turned on my headlights/corners and noticed that my dash lights (odometer and radio lights went really dim. The radio lights went out completely, and the ODO got really dim. But them come back on when i turn the lights off. Everything works normal until i turn the headlights and corners on, wtf lol. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys! Nothing related to these functions has been tinkered with recently, and yes guys, the dimmer switch is turned all the way up lol and that doesnt help.

TIA
Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 329 Likes on 301 Posts

What happens to your voltage gauge when you do this? I wonder if your alternator is about to crap out. (Turning on the lights adds a big load.)

What happens when you turn on the AC? Turn on the lights and AC?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not the alternator, although thanks for your input. When i turn the lights on, the lights go out completely on the interior, with the exception for the steering wheel controls, those still work in conjunction with the dimmer. All of the other lights go out and stay out as soon as the corners are turned on, or the headlights are turned on, they stay out. They dont react to the dimmer switch at all but the steering wheel controls do.