Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Phase issue in front speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Phase issue in front speakers?

For some reason, I started to notice a phase issue in my front speakers (even with all the speaker wires connected correctly, double-checked + to +, - to -, etc.).

When I play the "phase test" tones, it's strange! If I'm sitting in the driver seat, there is little difference in the "in phase" and "out of phase" tone. However, if I move around in the car, the "in phase" sounds better than "out of phase". This only happens when I have the fader in the front (the tones play fine when the fader is in the rear). I did try reversing the polarity on the driver-front, and it seemed worse (bass notes were definitely cancelling each other out).

BTW, using aftermarket components with an amp (Kenwood KFC-P603 6 1/2 comps, with a Kenwood 40x2 RMS amp).

Anyone else experience this, and know how to overcome the issue? Thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a car, it's pretty much impossible to get the sound to be great no matter where you sit. You can get a DSP that allows phase adjustments and/or time alignment and see if that helps... I'm not quite sure how bad the problem in your car is without hearing it myself, though.