Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help me pick a new head unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick a new head unit

So like others, my monsoon head unit has hit the skids...volume seems to go in and out and fluctuate on it's own. I've had 3 different monsoon units replaced under warranty, and it appears finding a replacement now nearly impossible.

I don't drive my car much at all anymore, but can't stand this volume issue when I do drive it. So I'm looking at double dins. I'm trying to keep my car as original as I can, but it seems like there is some cutting required to get a double DIN installed. Is this absolutely necessary, and how bad is it?

Now, which head unit? (edited)
-don't need nav
-don't use an ipod
-bluetooth control would be a like to have
-pandora control would be a like to have
-do any of these work well with android phones? assuming a 3.5mm headphone style aux port might work
-color selectable is a must (01 trans am = red display)
-would like a touch screen dual DIN, but could be talked into a single DIN if it requires less/no cutting. Haven't seen much on single DIN bezels.
-would like to stay around $300, but willing to go to $400.

Seems like Pioneer and Kenwood have some of the nicest units. But would like to see what you guys recommend. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by psuturtle7; 11-29-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 329 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by psuturtle7
So like others, my monsoon head unit has hit the skids...volume seems to go in and out and fluctuate on it's own. I've had 3 different monsoon units replaced under warranty, and it appears finding a replacement now nearly impossible.
Not impossible. Lots of places have them. Here's one - http://www.replacementradios.com/

Originally Posted by psuturtle7
I don't drive my car much at all anymore, but can't stand this volume issue when I do drive it.
Try searching more. There IS a fix for this problem. I assume you are talking about the lack of accurate control when you turn the volume ****? If so, this is due to dirt on the contacts in the ****. Just take the **** off the shaft and spray non-residue electrical contact cleaner down the shaft and spin. (You can use MAF cleaner to do this if it comes with a spray straw or you can get some at Radio Shack.)
Old 11-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Not impossible. Lots of places have them. Here's one - http://www.replacementradios.com/

Try searching more. There IS a fix for this problem. I assume you are talking about the lack of accurate control when you turn the volume ****? If so, this is due to dirt on the contacts in the ****. Just take the **** off the shaft and spray non-residue electrical contact cleaner down the shaft and spin. (You can use MAF cleaner to do this if it comes with a spray straw or you can get some at Radio Shack.)
Thanks for the link...I'll have to check it out.

I've read the threads on the volume ****, and that didn't seem to be the same issue as what I'm seeing. My issue seems to be that the volume will fluctuate on it's own without touching the volume **** at all. It's almost like speakers are cutting in and out. But I've done some testing by adjusting the balance and fade to isolate each speaker, and I can never get a speaker to cut out when doing this. Though, the entire problem is intermittent, so that could point to a contact issue.

I suppose cleaning the volume **** couldn't hurt. Does that just pull off or is there a trick to it? Also wondering if the same issue could exist on the balance and fade dials as well.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 329 Likes on 301 Posts

It just pulls off. The balance and fade ***** are a little different. (They don't spin 360 degrees.) I wouldn't think cleaning them in the same way would hurt.

BTW - You'll want to confirm the cleaner you use is safe for plastics. (Some will dissolve plastic.)