Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

NEW!!! CDT Dual Voice Coil 6.5" Sub Prototypes: Check it out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEW!!! CDT Dual Voice Coil 6.5" Sub Prototypes: Check it out!!!

Hi Guys!!!
I have been working with Ken at CDT to produce a new, audiophile grade, 6.5" (6.75") dual voice coil subwoofer. I just received 2 prototypes based on the CL-6M and the HD-6M. I am excited to say these are very nice but only one will probably go into production at this point and I am leaning toward the HD version due to it's cast frame (not stamped steel), vented coil, special proprietary cone taken from the HD line of CDT products, and the gold spring loaded terminals which will make install MUCH easier...even when using stock terminals....no more solder or female crimp on connectors. Depth is also less then the current Bazooka subs and the holes line up better as this is actually a true 6.75" in the HD version and the holes in the CL version are more oval so the holes line up better also. I tried to take into account everything I liked about the Bazookas and improve on it to make the CDT version CDT audiophile grade performance. This was not easy as the Bazookas have been a great performing sub over the past 4 years and I will continue to carry them!
Posted are the pics of both along with some comparison shots of the Bazooka next to them. I am currently testing both in my vehicle with a 300watt RMS amp on them to see what they can do and what they can't. I may even post a video here in a few days of them.
Please let me know what you think as we need to get moving on production and I want to produce what you guys want!
Thanks!!!
-Ian Kee

CL-6M DVC:

HD-6M DVC:

CDT Subs Side by Side

HD-6M DVC vs. Bazooka Sub:

CL-6M DVC vs. Bazooka Sub:
Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

How much Ian?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

ooooo I want! This will really complete my CDT set up, anyone wanna buy my CDT SVC's? lol
Old 06-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mac62989
How much Ian?
I am working on that now with Ken. We have to see how many will be produced and we are discussing all of the particulars now. Initially we talked about doing both but since we already have the Bazookas as a solid performer the HD would really be the next step up IMO. The CL sub would be comparable and fit a little better then the Bazookas but it would still be similar as far as install.
My goal is to keep them at or below $149.99 per pair. Consider for a moment that the HD-6 midbass driver that these were based on are $249.99 per pair so I am not sure what the price will be. This is another reason why I do want to have the CL as it would be a more economical version but still have the high standards of CDT. My personal opinion is that $249.99 is alot of money although these are competition level drivers.
Would $149.99 be a decent price for something of that level of quality and performance?? I think that is a very fair price for something that high end. Tell me what you think!! I can't say for sure I can do that price but that's what I would like to see. More to come after I talk with Ken.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

I think $150 is a good price. Last time I checked the Bazookas were $89-99. If this not only outperforms but is smaller and is an easier install than Bazookas Im already sold. My stockers are blown so anything is an upgrade but I wouldnt mind spending an extra $50 for something quality. I probably wont be putting my sub in from old Camaro.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

If the screw holes match up to the stock speaker, then it sounds like a definite winner! Plug and play.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

^Ya for sure
Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! I was just looking at the eu700 thread but was disappointed the two subs listed in that thread are discontinued. For $150 I would be in!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

I'm in for sure at $150
Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Teching In

In for $149.99 (looks less expensive!) Also any eta on approximate shipping times?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

I have another one coming as there are only about 4 total prototypes. I have been testing a single sub in a small enclosure powered by 230watts RMS @ 2ohms which is much more then these are supposed to handle....they are pounding. Excursion is supposed to be about 10mm peak xmax. I think it is slightly more. I will be putting these in my buddies 02 WS6 as soon as the other one gets here. The frame is 6.75" and I compared it to a stock sub and the holes line up perfectly plus it has a cast aluminum frame that is super strong and actually very light. These don't weigh nearly as much as the Bazookas. I was a little surprised at the lack of weight.
Ken is aware of my desire to make the retail price $150.00 so we are working that up as well but he has to figure a few details out so I can make sure we get that pricing.
I want these to be good but I want to make sure they are also affordable. It is a balance for sure. Especially with the quality of the HD line. Those are extremely nice speakers and this sub shares the same frame, cone material and terminals. The HD-6 has been around for many years and has won several design and sound awards, this is why I wanted to base the sub on that particular driver.
So far I am pleased with the performance but am itching to hear a pair in the WS6. I will be doing video on this install and documenting the performance so when I get them in I will post that as well here.
Production will begin soon and it will take 45-60 days for the first production pieces to be shipped. When I have a firm delivery date I will then begin accepting orders but not until then.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds good man. Cant wait. Blown stockers really suck.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

Honestly I can't wait either. Just holding that sub in your hand you can see and feel the quality. The cast frame with the CDT logo, braided tinsel leads, gold spring loaded terminals, vented voice coil, CDT proprietary cone material only used in the HD series drivers is a layered material that yields exceptional bass response.
These are going to be awesome.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks pretty nice! How soon will these be available for sale?

Ian- check your pm's when you have a chance. I'm looking to place an order!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

He said production will take between 45 and 60 days, and that he won't take orders till he has a for sure delivery date.

I was tempted to by some Bazooka's today, but after seeing these, I'm definitely gonna hold off. I'm in for sure
Old 06-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula

Ian- check your pm's when you have a chance. I'm looking to place an order!
PM replied to. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by austin1224
He said production will take between 45 and 60 days, and that he won't take orders till he has a for sure delivery date.

I was tempted to by some Bazooka's today, but after seeing these, I'm definitely gonna hold off. I'm in for sure
I was hoping for sooner then later but I still have to get a pair in that WS6. I am confident by testing the other one that these will be a great performer but I want confirmation just as I did with the Bazookas when I first found those in the back of the warehouse at a supplier 5 years ago. I try to test everything I put together before you guys get a hold of it so I know that it works.
Mind you the Bazookas are a very good performer and have been for years now. Never had a hiccup out of those. The CDT product will be a higher end version that has even better quality parts and easier way to install them.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the Bazookas currently and its a huge improvement over stock.

Would these require a new amp or could the monsoon amp be used to power them?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I have the Bazookas currently and its a huge improvement over stock.

Would these require a new amp or could the monsoon amp be used to power them?
Same power from the stock Monsoon would be fine and I can now confirm sounds absolutely incredible. Read below!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Banned

I just did the test fit and install on my friends 2002 WS6 Trans Am. This car is immaculate with very low miles. Basically a garage queen now along with his 1979 Trans Am. Still had the stock subs in place. I had already done the door speaker upgrade on this car to the CDT CL-E61CV which is now the EU-61CV. Clean crisp frequency response from the doors on stock Monsoon power and head unit. The rear stock subs were still in good shape but sound muddy and almost like they are just blowing air. There was no clarity in the bass response, bass sound but no definition to it. After using a couple of test CD's Black Eyed Peas "Time of my life" and Black Label Society for the rock portion the stock subs did actually start to go out and distort on one side as the voice coils heated up. Pushed hard the stock subs will and do give out pretty quickly on stock Monsoon power.
The new HD subs are absolutely phenomenal! They are a night and day difference over the stock subs and will give the Bazookas a run for output but clearly have more definition and sound quality over the Bazooka subs. Kick drum can be heard clearly, not just the bass output but the kick itself. Output is clean and strong at high volume to the point that the rear hatch stock speakers started to go out on us as we were testing. Depth and clarity are vastly superior. I will have pictures and video up in a few minutes.

Quick Reply: NEW!!! CDT Dual Voice Coil 6.5" Sub Prototypes: Check it out!!!