Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Headunit... two wire harnesses from the OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Headunit... two wire harnesses from the OEM?

I installed a new HU last night with my dad and when we removed the OEM HU there was a black wire harness and a white harness that connect together, and then there was another wire harness with a little red clip on it. What is this one for? Is it for the rear 6x9s?

I'm curious because there are 6 speakers in the car including the 6x9s, and the HU only powers 4 channels. I'm thinking the 6x9s aren't getting powered fully. Is this true?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Are you talking about a 1993-2002 f-body? Which one? Did it have Monsoon?

That extra connector is most-likely the connector for the CD-Changer. Even if the car didn't come with a CD-Changer, the wiring is still there. If you look at the wiring at the rearmost driver side speaker in the trunk, you'll see the wiring for the CD-Changer taped up there.

What 6x9 speakers are you talking about? I don't think any version of the 4th-gen f-body came with 6x9 speakers.

Depending on the year, the car had Bose, Monsoon, or another setup similar to the monsoon but without the name or output. In the Bose setup, the headunit outputs to mini-amps at the speakers. In the other two setups, the headunit's output goes to an amp which powers the speakers. The amp in those 2 setups is located on the passenger's side rear just ahead of the spare tire. I think there was also a 4th setup in the Camaro without an amp, but I'm not as clear on that one.

Replacing the Bose headunit requires an additional adapter to make sure the mini-amps get the right signals. The other setups are just simple wiring; easy to replace the headunit.

Last edited by VIP1; 02-24-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
Are you talking about a 1993-2002 f-body? Which one? Did it have Monsoon?

That extra connector is most-likely the connector for the CD-Changer. Even if the car didn't come with a CD-Changer, the wiring is still there. If you look at the wiring at the rearmost driver side speaker in the trunk, you'll see the wiring for the CD-Changer taped up there.

What 6x9 speakers are you talking about? I don't think any version of the 4th-gen f-body came with 6x9 speakers.

Depending on the year, the car had Bose, Monsoon, or another setup similar to the monsoon but without the name or output. In the Bose setup, the headunit outputs to mini-amps at the speakers. In the other two setups, the headunit's output goes to an amp which powers the speakers. The amp in those 2 setups is located on the passenger's side rear just ahead of the spare tire. I think there was also a 4th setup in the Camaro without an amp, but I'm not as clear on that one.

Replacing the Bose headunit requires an additional adapter to make sure the mini-amps get the right signals. The other setups are just simple wiring; easy to replace the headunit.

I dont wanna highjack but I have some questions you may be able to answer for me VIP...im going to pm you.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by 02ls1z28
I dont wanna highjack but I have some questions you may be able to answer for me VIP...im going to pm you.
I replied to your PM. Others may have a similar issue or may be able to help so it may be a good idea to start a thread on it.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

The car is a 1998 Z28, so yeah it's a fourth gen. The OEM headunit said Monsoon on it but it doesn't have an amp in the back. There's two speakers in the doors, two in the back on the side panels, and two 3-way 6x9 Boston's in the sail panels.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's for the CD Changer. I looked at the Monsoon FAQ and it seems like that's it.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Are you the original owner? Was the stereo modified previously? That layout doesn't sound normal.

Quick Reply: New Headunit... two wire harnesses from the OEM?