Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steps in removing door panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steps in removing door panel

Getting ready to do a speaker swap and was wanting to know how to go about removing the door panel.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the TA is SLIGHTLY different from a camaro.. but it works the same way.

roll down your window.

Start off by removing the center screw in the trim around the door handle, then the screw underneath the window switch thing that juts out.

Pull the trim out a bit, then try and pull the door lock assembly off the rod. You do this by pulling it off the rod in the front wher eit's exposed when it's assembled. (sorry I have no pics of this, it's relaly easy tho.)

once that's off.. pull your power window switch controls out and pop the harness off, then pull the light harness out of the plastic piece.

rotate the plastic piece inward a bit to clear the arm rest/jutting out part and pull the door handle as if you're opening the door, this should allow you to twist the trim around and take it off.

Now you have 2 screws in the arm rest that are plainly visible straight down, and one that's not visible pointing up into the pocket where you juts took the trim off.

Remove those 3 screws, remove the screw from the plastic mirror trim on the inside above it. Once that piece is off and your screws are out, grab the door panel by the arm rest area where you close the door and jerk it upward one good time. That should release it in the front of the door, then pull away and down sort of like a hinge.

work the back the same way. mine hangs in the back.

Frankly.. this is the easiest to remove door panel I've ever seen.

when you put it back on, mount the bottom tabs first and hinge it upward, then lift up forward and down one time and it should seat itself.

Whole thing can take ~10 minutes or less if you do it enough. (I've done it like 4 times now )

your door speaker is held in with 3 7mm screws, and a 4 pin wireharness if you have the monsoon setup.

Last edited by DarkFox118; 02-29-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Ok I think I can handle that. Thx.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya, it's real easy, just be careful with that plastic trim around the door handle. Cant' say for you TA guys.. but us camaro owners have a big problem with them splitting in the thin spot around the window buttons. Both of mine are screwed up pretty bad.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Here is a link for Camaro door panel removal step by step with pictures.

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Todd
Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Launching!

I got it off. The most difficult part for me was getting the lock off the trim for the handle. By the way its for a TRANS AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

No need to roll down the window. Leave it up. Especially if you are replacing the window motor.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, for me it was a pita to hook the top of the panel over the lip with the window up. It's not impossible it just makes it easier.

then again my window assembly is really messed up.. I had to take the felt guides off the top to keep my window from binding hard about 50% of the way up.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

That's odd. I had no problems like that. Either way, to get the motor out, the window has to be up (and propped/chocked) to get the space needed for you to work.

I realize this thread isn't about the motor, I'm just pointing it out.

Quick Reply: Steps in removing door panel