Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Project: Sound Deaden a 1999 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work bro, looks like you just covered about everything, is there anything else you would probably suggest about this project? FatMat from Amazon?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do this in my top 5 list this summer.

Thanks for taking the time to post this up.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1jorge
nice work bro, looks like you just covered about everything, is there anything else you would probably suggest about this project? FatMat from Amazon?
Lots of time

Yea amazon is where I found the best price.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also did this, but didnt do the doors cause i was being lazy, i will get to them one day, but i also replace the matting under my carpet, and did the firewall behind the dash. I did mine more to keep road noise out of the car, which it did a great job.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

did mine last summer. did my truck when it was cool out, alot easier when its 80 out, stuff is much more pliable. does make a nice difference overall. good work op, i know how much work that took
Old 12-22-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I JUST finished doing this to mine! I can't wait to drive it but I'll be finishing the sound system as well when I'm there. Great job!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

I mention doing this with a few beer buddies and they all sigh with excuses. I need and want to do it so badly lol. I just suck at interior work and door panels. Just not my forte....
Old 12-22-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yun Gunz
I mention doing this with a few beer buddies and they all sigh with excuses. I need and want to do it so badly lol. I just suck at interior work and door panels. Just not my forte....
I'm the exact opposite. I can take the entire interior out and put it back in a day, but I still have yet to take my motor apart farther than the airbox and TB
Old 02-27-2014, 03:09 AM

As far as the time it took to do this what was the most time consuming part? Just picked up a 93 Firebird that squeaks and rattles like crazy and have thought about doing this. To me pulling apart the interior and laying the sound deadener seems like it would be easy, but assembling everything after could definitely be awhile for me.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlurpJ
As far as the time it took to do this what was the most time consuming part? Just picked up a 93 Firebird that squeaks and rattles like crazy and have thought about doing this. To me pulling apart the interior and laying the sound deadener seems like it would be easy, but assembling everything after could definitely be awhile for me.
I did this after installing my sound system, so removing the interior was second nature at this point. Took me about an hour to pull out everything including carpets.

Most time consuming part is cutting the material before applying it. I wanted to cover as much square footage as possible so you need to cut accurately, now X that by the 500 or so pieces you have to cut
Old 02-27-2014, 01:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

At audio shop I worked at in college we always dynamatted the outer door skin and were careful doing the inner door shell to not cover up rivets and bolts and to retain the OE plastic vapor barrier. The results are better doing the whole inner door but you will be completely hating life when it's time to replace window motors when it's time to get to all the rivets and bolts. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

I just did my car this week in class and it made a huge difference! I didn't have nearly enough material do do everything (46 sq ft) so I just did the major areas. Some day I'll go back with more and take care of the doors and all the areas I missed.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Finally finished up sound deadening my '99 TA. First off, yes it is a LOT of work. I probably put close to 40 hours in this. But at least in my opinion, it was worth it

I chose to get 100sq feet of FatMat 100 Sq Ft x 80 mil Thick Self-Adhesive RattleTrap Sound Deadener

Here's a write up:

Make sure to keep all your screws and bolts organized when you take stuff out. I had little zip lock baggies that I used to keep track of everything.

Rear hatch area is the best place to start. Nice flat area that will get you used to working with the material.

I originally thought this was going to be a weekend project. Well Monday came around and I was only halfway done but needed to get to school. Bolted my seat in drove it like that for the remainder of the week until I finished everything up. Did get some weird looks from people

Make sure you take extra time when it comes to the speakers.

Just about done. Not the cleanest job, but made a world of difference for me. Road/wind noise is mostly gone and overall quality and feel of the car is greatly improved. Great project for anyone with a lot of spare time on their hands
Hey buddy i sent you pm about this stuff let me know what you think.
I want to do trunk and doors and maybe rear quarter will if make a difference if just do some some spots?

Quick Reply: Project: Sound Deaden a 1999 Trans Am