Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CDT sail panels on separate amp? Or new sub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 04:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CDT sail panels on separate amp? Or new sub?

I purchased the CDT Sail panels last fall to upgrade the sail panels of my '01 SS monsoon car (the previous owner replaced the stock speakers with components).

They gave me pretty good bass response at first, but swapping out the factory headunit toned them down significantly. I've played around with every setting possible (boosting the EQ of low signals, shutting off crossovers, etc) but can't get them to perform like the factory HU was.

So I'm contemplating throwing a MONO amp at the problem and bypassing the monsoon amp.

But I'm not sure if anybody has done this? And if so have you gotten good results?

I'm not looking for glass shattering bass. I just want a little more punch on the low end. And I'd hate to throw an amp at it and then decide I need a woofer.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I would think that there must be some setting (or combination of settings) you missed because usually we hear the opposite - that replacing the HU greatly improved the sound. There's a thread like that just above yours: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...n-install.html.

Maybe if you post the make and model of your new HU, someone might be able to offer assistance.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

WhiteBird00 is right. When I installed my HU and played it for the first time there was literally NO bass. Messed with the settings and a particular 'Magna Bass EX' box was unchecked. Once that was on, everything was back to normal

Quick Reply: CDT sail panels on separate amp? Or new sub?