Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mounting depth for the sail panel subs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mounting depth for the sail panel subs?

I haven't taken the sail panel covers off yet and am wanting to see if these subs will fit.

http://www.kicker.com/CompRT
Old 06-19-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I remember right it's somewhere around 3" so those being at 2.75 it should fit.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

They may physically fit but they won't work with a Firebird Monsoon system. They are single voice coil and 2-ohm. Firebirds use dual voice coil 4-ohm subs.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
They may physically fit but they won't work with a Firebird Monsoon system. They are single voice coil and 2-ohm. Firebirds use dual voice coil 4-ohm subs.
the CompRT67 which are the ones in this model line that would be of discussion here are listed as either a dual 1 ohm or dual 2 ohm so yes they wouldn't work in a Firebird you could do the dual 1 ohm, and wire the voice coils in series to have the single 2 ohm load for the camaros.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Sorry, I didn't see the DVC spec. Still, they're not correct for a Firebird Monsoon that takes DVC 4-ohm. The best you could do is wire the two 2-ohm voice coils in series for one 4-ohm channel and give up using the other channel.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm replacing the entire sound system. None of the original monsoon system will be used.

Thanks guys! I'm going to order them in the next couple of weeks and will post my review
Old 03-06-2019, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the CompRT67 which are the ones in this model line that would be of discussion here are listed as either a dual 1 ohm or dual 2 ohm so yes they wouldn't work in a Firebird you could do the dual 1 ohm, and wire the voice coils in series to have the single 2 ohm load for the camaros.
I was just looking at these speakers and came here to get depth info. I have 99 Z with Monsoon. I want these speakers have no knowledge on how to wire them as you're describing. Can someone give detail on how to wire them in series?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Each voice coil in a DVC speaker is wired as though it was a separate speaker so you have two pairs of positive and negative wires. You can wire them in parallel or series. In parallel, the total impedance is half of an individual voice coil... a 2-ohm DVC speaker wired in parallel will have 1 ohm total impedance for the amp. In series, the total impedance is the sum of the two individual voice coils... a 2-ohm DVC speaker wired in series will have 4 ohms total impedance for the amp.

Parallel wiring means connecting the two positive terminals together and the two negative terminals together. The current flows to each voice coil in parallel to the other:

Parallel speaker wiring

Series wiring means connecting the amp positive to the first pair's positive terminal, the negative of that pair to the positive terminal of the second voice coil, and the negative of the second voice coil to the amp's negative. The current flows through the first voice coil and out through the second voice coil before returning to the amp:

Series speaker wiring

Camaro Monsoon systems are designed to use 2-ohm speakers in the sail panels. You can create 2 ohms total impedance with a 1-ohm DVC speaker by wiring in series so that the two voice coils in the speaker add up to 2 ohms total impedance.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Each voice coil in a DVC speaker is wired as though it was a separate speaker so you have two pairs of positive and negative wires. You can wire them in parallel or series. In parallel, the total impedance is half of an individual voice coil... a 2-ohm DVC speaker wired in parallel will have 1 ohm total impedance for the amp. In series, the total impedance is the sum of the two individual voice coils... a 2-ohm DVC speaker wired in series will have 4 ohms total impedance for the amp.

Parallel wiring means connecting the two positive terminals together and the two negative terminals together. The current flows to each voice coil in parallel to the other:

Parallel speaker wiring

Series wiring means connecting the amp positive to the first pair's positive terminal, the negative of that pair to the positive terminal of the second voice coil, and the negative of the second voice coil to the amp's negative. The current flows through the first voice coil and out through the second voice coil before returning to the amp:

Series speaker wiring

Camaro Monsoon systems are designed to use 2-ohm speakers in the sail panels. You can create 2 ohms total impedance with a 1-ohm DVC speaker by wiring in series so that the two voice coils in the speaker add up to 2 ohms total impedance.
thank you so much. I watched a couple YouTube videos after I posted and it made some sense. You’re illustration helps ALOT. What I’ve gathered is from the amp I’ll connect to negative to the negative on speaker on the pass side and the positive from the amp to positive on driver side then connect the positive and negative together from each speaker. Correct?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Uh, no. There are two factory speaker wires on each side of the car (a positive and a negative). Each original speaker had two terminals so one wire went to each terminal. The new DVC speakers have four terminals each (a positive/negative pair for each voice coil). You have to connect the factory positive wire to one of the positive terminals on the speaker, then connect a short piece of wire from the negative terminal of that pair to the positive terminal of the other pair, and finally connect the factory negative wire to the remaining terminal (negative of the second pair). You do that on each side of the car - you don't connect one side of the car to the other.

Here's a diagram for each speaker:

Wiring a DVC speaker in series

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-06-2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added diagram
Old 03-06-2019, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Uh, no. There are two factory speaker wires on each side of the car (a positive and a negative). Each original speaker had two terminals so one wire went to each terminal. The new DVC speakers have four terminals each (a positive/negative pair for each voice coil). You have to connect the factory positive wire to one of the positive terminals on the speaker, then connect a short piece of wire from the negative terminal of that pair to the positive terminal of the other pair, and finally connect the factory negative wire to the remaining terminal (negative of the second pair). You do that on each side of the car - you don't connect one side of the car to the other.

Here's a diagram for each speaker:

Wiring a DVC speaker in series
Thanks. I over thought the previous post. Thank you both

Quick Reply: Mounting depth for the sail panel subs?