Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon System questions for the experts

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon System questions for the experts

I have read thru the excellent postings concerning the Delco Monsoon radios systems, but still have a few points of confusion and wonder. Since LS1TECH appears to be the most informed source available (my local dealerships will only sell, not answer questions), I will ask for guidance here if you please.

Scenario: I am preparing to replace a faulty Delco Pontiac radio in my recently acquired '96 Firebird. The RPO code is W55 (Entertainment System - Radio, AM/FM Stereo, Compact Disc, Equalizer 10 Speaker System, Amplifier). The existing faulty head unit face plate is labeled "Delco Pontiac".

My first point of wonder is when I read in the information here it states that the "Monsoon" system was introduced in '97. But the same RPO code was used in my '96 and there is implication that some early "Monsoon" radios were not labeled as such on the face plate. What is the primary difference between the Delco Pontiac System and the Delco Monsoon System and how can I determine for certain if mine is the early system or the newer Monsoon system? Is there a difference other than simply the head unit?

My second point would be that the location of the amplifier is said to be in the compartment with the spare tire. My RPO code designates that I should have that amplifier, but it does not seem to be in that location. Might it be somewhere else, or might it just have gone "missing" over the years?

Finally, my intent is to maintain a "stock" appearance wherever possible, so after-market brands are not being considered. I am, however, giving some consideration to fudging a bit and looking to the Delco Monsoon products used in the 2002+ Pontiac Grand Am, Sunbird, etc. to utilize the "upgrade" to the CD/Cassette combo head unit. Accepting that this would require some minor mounting modification for the greater face size (double DIN, I believe), I am wondering if there are other differences or benefits in the System, as a whole (compatible amplifiers, speakers, or what-have-you)?

I could just simply grab a replacement Delco Pontiac head unit to replace the faulty one. But if it may be beneficial and cost-effective to "upgrade" to a Monsoon System within my limited budget, I would want to "do it right the first time".
Old 07-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Your first two questions have the same answer. Prior to the introduction of the Monsoon system into F-bodies in 1997, Firebird models had a premium 10-speaker audio system that was very similar to it. It had an external amplifier but it was used to power only the sail panel subs - all other speakers were powered by the head unit alone. The amp was mounted under the right sail trim panel below the speaker next to the rear passenger seat. That's why you didn't see it near the spare tire where a Monsoon amp would be mounted. Just FYI, the premium audio system in Camaros at the time was a Bose design.

There are a couple of reasons why you should not use one of the later model GM double DIN head units. One is that the face size and shape is non-standard so even the available double DIN bezels for Firebird would have to be modified for proper fit. But the biggest reason is that they just won't work. Those newer head units have incompatible wiring and many additional functions built-in including security functions that prevent operation if the VIN of the car doesn't match its internal code. Our cars don't have the network wiring to provide VIN information to the head unit so even if you managed to make the physical connection, the newer head unit would refuse to work.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, Sir. That addresses the audio generation timeline and some of the compatibility questions.

I am still curious of the cost-effectiveness of "upgrading" my Delco Pontiac audio system to the Delco Monsoon system of the 97-02 period. The head units alone show a noticeable difference in cost, but I learned long ago that cost doesn't necessarily dictate quality or value.

From Delco Pontiac to Delco Monsoon, is it simply a matter of replacing the head unit or is the amplifier and/or speaker change also recommended? And what about this replacement actually makes it "better"? I have never seen a technical comparison of the two systems.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I doubt you would find it worthwhile to "upgrade" from your existing premium audio system to a Monsoon system. The Monsoon amp is often available in our For Sale section for very reasonable prices but the wiring would be a big issue. Your existing system uses the amp to power only the two sail panel subs. The Monsoon system (in a Firebird) powered all speakers except for the door tweeters and the hatch tweeters. So you would have to run audio signal wires from the head unit to the new amp location near the spare tire and then from there to the door mids, sail panel subs and hatch mids. It hardly seems worth it for the minimal gain in output power.

Assuming you already had the CD with equalizer head unit, there is no difference between that and the later Monsoon head units. They are all just ordinary Delco equipment with slightly different labels on them. As such, they are completely interchangeable for installation in your '96.

The only thing that would make a later (2000-2002) Monsoon CD head unit better is that it has the capability to control the optional external CD changer. That ability also means that you can add an auxiliary input adapter that plugs into the changer port to support connecting a phone or MP3 player as an audio source. Monsoon head units are often available here for $50 or less.

Quick Reply: Monsoon System questions for the experts