Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help Installing a Complete Monsoon Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Installing a Complete Monsoon Replacement

I recently purchased a complete Monsoon Replacement for our original 98 T/A R/A from Kee Audio. The items I have to work with are:

JVC-V30BT (DD)
PrecisionPower i640.5 Amp
EU-61CV.2 SVC front speakers w/tweeter w/crossover
EU-6MB.2 SVC sail speakers
HD-1000CF Subwoofer

I have already fitted the HU and wired it back to the amp and hooked up the backup camera.

The questions I have has to do with getting the best sound quality with what I have to work with (How to wire best the speakers):

1. Ft Speakers, do I need to run new speaker wires or using the factory wires is OK? The manufactures paperwork and ohm meter said these speakers are 4 Ohm? How do I wire to 2 Ohm? Should I use the original crossover or the new CDT crossover?

2. Sail Speakers, new or old wires? Again, these are 4 Ohm speakers, how to wire to 2 Ohm or is 4 OK?

3. Subwoofer, is DVC at 2 ohms each, do I connect in parallel to create 1 Ohm or in series to create 4 Ohms.

Just trying to do it right and there is a lot of knowledge on this forum. Thanks for your help, Dave
Old 09-30-2014, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

When installing a complete system, you should always run your own wires. Not doing so is like buying a new car with old dry-rotted tires... it may get you where you're going for a while but eventually it's going to cause problems.

You don't have any choice on the impedance of the door and sail panel speakers. A single voice coil speaker can't be wired for any impedance other than what the voice coil is rated (other than connecting it in series or parallel with another speaker on the same channel). Those CDT speakers are both 2-ohm... that's what the ".2" at the end of the model number indicates.

The subwoofer is a different situation. It's dual voice coil 2-ohm + 2-ohm so it can be wired as 1-ohm (parallel) or 4-ohm (series). But your amp is not 1-ohm stable so you must wire it in series to produce a 4-ohm load for the amp.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Thanks Whitebird00 for the info, just what I needed to know, will continue on the installation.

Any thoughts on who's crossover to use, factory or CDT?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Well, if you are running your own wires and using your own amp then using the factory crossovers is not an option because signal filtering is built in to the Monsoon amp (mids and woofers) and inline in the factory wiring (tweeters). Besides, the CDT crossover is better matched to their speakers so they will give you the best sound.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do you like the head unit. Been looking at jvc..

Quick Reply: Help Installing a Complete Monsoon Replacement