Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

convertible speaker upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible speaker upgrades???

Anyone upgraded their convertible speaker system? It has monsoon but it really doesn't sound good... do I upgrade everything and get rid of monsoon all together or are there speakers I can use with the monsoon amp and get a new head unit???
Old 11-06-2014, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GN's&TA
Anyone upgraded their convertible speaker system? It has monsoon but it really doesn't sound good... do I upgrade everything and get rid of monsoon all together or are there speakers I can use with the monsoon amp and get a new head unit???
Your 6.75 speakers are going to be 2ohm speakers which are not standard but some manufactures sell them, and would be a direct replacement. The tweeters are standard 4ohm. You can also get a new head unit but if you do I would recommend bypassing the stock amp located behind the spare tire and running new wires.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky. It will explain some upgrade options, why matching the impedance of the factory speakers is not important, and why bypassing the Monsoon amp just because you install a new head unit is not necessary (or even recommended).

Then contact our sponsors Kee Audio and/or Double D Mods to find out about replacement speaker kits specifically designed for Monsoon systems in convertibles.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Anyone use the kee audio system on a convertible? I like a little more bass so I was looking at the 369 dollar kit for convertible but I was hoping someone could say how it sounded
Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the level 1 for converible and it sounds great compared to the originals. The level 2 is probably even better.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much are you willing to spend? are you looking for a nice upgrade over factory or are you looking for a monster system? focal speakers are very expensive but sound unbelievable that will mount in stock location. i went with kenwood deck, alpine mini amp k445 & alpine R type speakers. $400 parts plus $400 labor pita to rewire / bypass trunk amp & i should have gone with a alpine amp , the wiring for the kenwood wasnt a match. add dynamat behind speakers. cheers! my system sounds good but wont blow anybody away which is what i wanted.

Quick Reply: convertible speaker upgrades???