Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Programming TWO Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Programming TWO Fobs

The current key fob for my '01 TA is physically damaged and I decided to replace it with two new fobs. Previously I replaced the BCM with a new one about a year ago due to the known issues. I also purchased a single fob to program since the stock fob was worn.

Now after the replacement fob has been damaged I ordered two new fobs to program to the new/replaced BCM. I was able to program one fob but not the other. Researching shows that the BCM can program up to five fobs.

Suggestions on why or how to program the second fob?
Old 02-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Bumping in case anyone may have a solution or idea how to program two new fobs.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The programming procedure is very sensitive to timing and any deviations in the sequence but if you are getting the first one programmed and you have the second one ready to go as soon as the first is completed then that probably isn't the issue.

I suspect you have one bad transmitter. It's easy enough to test... change the order you program them. If the one that was second won't program when it is done first then the fob itself is not working properly. Could be a bad battery, the button contacts on the circuit board or the board itself. If it always fails to program the second (or subsequent) fob regardless of which one you do first then your BCM is the problem.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Launching!

That's the odd thing. I program one FOB fine, then program the second FOB but the first FOB doesn't work. So I program the first FOB again and then the second FOB doesn't work. It's back and forth with the programming.

I even tried programming both FOB's at the same time with a friend pressing the buttons for one FOB while I did the other.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Have you checked that both fobs are the same part? The symptoms sound like the BCM is starting a new sequence rather than continuing the first sequence. After you finish programming the first fob, you are just pressing and holding the lock and unlock buttons on the second fob - not doing anything else with the ignition or the RADIO fuse in between?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The symptoms sound like the BCM is starting a new sequence rather than continuing the first sequence.
That sounds like the culprit. After I program the first FOB I will start the process over again with the second FOB.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by LFSADRG
That sounds like the culprit. After I program the first FOB I will start the process over again with the second FOB.
No, that will ensure that only one gets programmed. You need to complete the programming of the first fob and then immediately press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the second fob without taking any other steps in between.

Quick Reply: Programming TWO Fobs