Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, mods please move if it isn't.

I have a yellow top optima that is at least 7 years old (in it when I bought the car), it's pretty dead at this point. It's been under 30 degrees out for a few weeks now and every time I jump it, it'll start and run but when I let it sit for a few days it needs to be jumped again. I'm thinking at this point it's on its last leg.

I've been reading up on which battery to replace it w/ and I read some reviews saying optima has gone to crap, anyone experience a drop in quality over the past year or so? I've been happy w/ the battery, I've never had to jump it, started no matter how long it sat w/o a problem. I am fine w/ getting another yellow top but not if the line went to ****.

FYI, I have an aftermarket stereo w/ 2 amps and a sub.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrBlockHed
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, mods please move if it isn't.

I have a yellow top optima that is at least 7 years old (in it when I bought the car), it's pretty dead at this point. It's been under 30 degrees out for a few weeks now and every time I jump it, it'll start and run but when I let it sit for a few days it needs to be jumped again. I'm thinking at this point it's on its last leg.

I've been reading up on which battery to replace it w/ and I read some reviews saying optima has gone to crap, anyone experience a drop in quality over the past year or so? I've been happy w/ the battery, I've never had to jump it, started no matter how long it sat w/o a problem. I am fine w/ getting another yellow top but not if the line went to ****.

FYI, I have an aftermarket stereo w/ 2 amps and a sub.

Thanks
I would try putting a charge on it before I replaced it. As in something other than the alt.

I've always felt Optima made **** batteries. There's a lot of other options on high performance batteries for car audio (Kinetik, HC power, Odyssey)..
Old 01-29-2015, 06:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah, despite what they say or claim, Optima batteries are not as good as when they were US made.

For high performance use, I'd say look at Odyssey batteries.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Yeah, despite what they say or claim, Optima batteries are not as good as when they were US made.

For high performance use, I'd say look at Odyssey batteries.
Thanks Paul, the odyssey is quite a bit more expensive than a yellow top, are the optimas made that poorly now? Would I be better off buying something cheaper than the optima?

Thanks

Last edited by DrBlockHed; 01-29-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: wrong pricing
Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't think they outright suck but I wouldn't say they live up to what they once were.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 01-29-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Good stuff Paul, appreciate the input

Thanks

Quick Reply: Battery question