Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Planning My Trailblazer Audio Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning My Trailblazer Audio Build

So as some of you may know, I recently picked up a 03 Trailblazer, the Pioneer headunit, subs and amps from my firebird (including the 4-channel I never installed) will be going into the Trailblazer.

Subs are 2 Planet Audio BB212D
the sub amp is a Hifonics BRX2000.1d
the 4 channel will be a Hifonics BRX640.4

what I need to figure out is what door speakers to run for a reasonable budget (trying for around 100 a pair) that can handle 80 watts RMS (rated at 4 ohms) I'm thinking about stealing the Polk DB6501 components from my bird for the front doors to save cost but I don't like the speakers I have in the sails enough to want to put them in the rear doors, right now my front runner for the rear seat doors are the Rockford Fosgate PPS4-6 anyone ever use them or have suggestion for what else would go good back there?

eventually I will be doing a custom built box for the 2 12's that will fill much of the cargo space, but I've yet to even start designing it.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

aside from the Rockfords, other potential options are:
1. Audiobahn AMD60H
2. Soundstream SMC.654

anyone ever use any of these? Back around 12-15 years ago when I had my Tahoe I had some Audiobahn 6x9's that hit pretty good but I don't have a clue about the quality of there current products, I assume Rockford to always be a solid brand and I know Soundstream is more an entry level brand but don't know what the sound and build quality are like.

the factory setup in the TB is a 4 ohm 6.5 mid with a tweeter mounted right beside it in the front doors and the rear doors are a 8 ohm 6.5 mid, there is also a place on the dash for like 3.5's or something so what I was thinking was to do components up front mounting the mid in the door and putting the tweeter up on the dash so it bounces off the windshield like my old accord did. this thread is mainly about picking the new rear door speakers.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:15 AM
Teching In

I would go with components speakers that come with crossovers. I had Memphis audio in my 07 Tahoe with a 4 channel alpine amp, can't recall model #, but it sounded clear. I'm not into all the overwhelming bass stuff l like my music clear. And for your box for the 12s, building one is cool, but pro boxes have always been the best for me. They have different sizes and styles, but the sound from them is the best. They are tune to perfection, that's my opinion.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by benavidez78
I would go with components speakers that come with crossovers. I had Memphis audio in my 07 Tahoe with a 4 channel alpine amp, can't recall model #, but it sounded clear. I'm not into all the overwhelming bass stuff l like my music clear. And for your box for the 12s, building one is cool, but pro boxes have always been the best for me. They have different sizes and styles, but the sound from them is the best. They are tune to perfection, that's my opinion.
the db6501's in the front doors are a component set with crossovers, I ended up doing my plan of the mounting the tweeter of the component in the dash location and the woofer in the door, I also did the Rockford 8's in the rear doors and setup all my stuff in the back.

"professional" boxes are built the same way I build mine, punch in the calculations to a software and work out the tuning, the software is freely available online you just have to understand it.

anyway here are a few pics from the build.

I've also got this short video of me damn near flipping the a large drink over on the roof, I stopped it abruptly because if I didn't it would have tips over and I didn't want coke all over my paint.

I'm hoping to do a new video on it some time soon, but I need to button up my LED underbody light wiring and get the interior cleaned up and panels reinstalled.
Attached Thumbnails Planning My Trailblazer Audio Build-0401151234.jpg   Planning My Trailblazer Audio Build-0221151530.jpg   Planning My Trailblazer Audio Build-0411151721.jpg  

Quick Reply: Planning My Trailblazer Audio Build