Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Firebird Steering Wheel Controls Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firebird Steering Wheel Controls Compatibility

So this is one of those things that I'm sure has been answered, but I've had a hard time finding the answer via a search...

Does anybody happen to know between which years the steering wheel controls are compatible?

I want to replace the buttons in my 97 T/A, as they are getting a bit rough. I often see eBay sellers claiming their buttons are 99+, but I don't often put much stock in their compatibility claims. They look like the same part...
Old 02-20-2015, 02:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

It took some research to find but all Firebird 95-02 steering wheel switches are electrically compatible. That is, they all use the same resistance values for the same functions.

However, the switches themselves are physically different between years. The color changed from graphite to grey for the 2000 model year.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Perfect, thank you!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
I often see eBay sellers claiming their buttons are 99+, but I don't often put much stock in their compatibility claims. They look like the same part...
I believe the physical circuit boards changed around '99. (Mine don't match pictures of others I saw in LED conversion threads, etc.) I believe the older ones are just nicer printed circuit boards, so yours may not look the same inside as your originals, but it should not be a big deal.

What is your exact problem? Are the buttons not working, sticking, or do they just look nasty?

Mine were cruddy and sticking a bit. I was able to take them out, pop the buttons off the boards and clean them. A little rubbing alcohol will dissolve the crud on the surface of the buttons and leave them looking just like they did rolling off the factory line.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

On most of them the surface material is wearing off, as well as the buttons sticking and a few lights are burned out. Seemed easiest to just replace them, as long as I can find compatible ones.

I'm going through my car one interior piece at a time trying to make everything look as factory new as possible... have purchased a lot of odds and ends from eBay. I think I'll also be replacing my steering wheel itself to get one with leather that's in better shape.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Save the manuals!

On most of them the surface material is wearing off
Can you post a pic? I recall that the material is consistent throughout the button and not a coating. I think what you may be seeing is just finger/oil crud. If so, that can be cleaned off.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

The left one is in better shape (not like this at all) but just sticks and the bulbs are burnt out...

This right one is pretty bad, but works fine:

Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Save the manuals!

Wow. Those are really melted. It looks like they have been hot/soft for a long time and someone used them in that condition.

They are definitely shot - I wonder if someone modified them before you go the car?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Couldn't say... I've owned the car since 2002 but I honestly can't remember if they were like this. Back when I first got the car I was much more worried about go-fast parts than having a car that was nice to drive.

The last several years it has been a garage queen though, so I've been trying to work on the 'nice to drive' mods.

EDIT: Also, I do live in Florida, so heat is a significant factor. Cracked dash pads, etc. (Fortunately I got a brand new OEM one just before the car was garaged)
Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Save the manuals!

EDIT: Also, I do live in Florida, so heat is a significant factor.
Hopefully that's it. It looks like a gremlin was squatting on your t-tops on a sunny day with a magnifying glass.

Quick Reply: Firebird Steering Wheel Controls Compatibility