Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

brake light

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light

Have an interesting issue with my Brake light on the dash, when I start the car, all the warning lights come on as they should, including the Brake light. However when I pull up on the parking brake, no light, this started about a week ago. First thing I checked (safely of course) was the parking brake itself, parking brake works fine and holds the car even in gear) Thanks
Old 12-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 355 Likes on 324 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

There is a single switch attached to the parking brake handle that signals the light when the brake is "on."

The odd thing is that when this switch acts up, it typically works the other way - it tends to stay on all the time, even when the brake is released.

If I recall correctly, the switch makes contact when the brake is off and breaks the circuit when the brake is on. So, maybe it has come apart on you and is creating a short circuit and making contact all the time? If you take off the full center console, you can access the switch and see what is going on.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The parking brake switch is a grounding switch. It has only one wire (light blue) and when engaged it grounds through its case. Anything that interferes with the switch making ground contact (it becomes detached from the brake handle, the wire becomes detached from the switch, the wire is broken somewhere, the mount is corroded, etc.) will prevent the dash indicator from lighting. Test mode when starting the car uses a different ground so it's really only a bulb test and not a circuit test.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks all, guess I will be taking the center console off after im done painting my garage.

Quick Reply: brake light